What colors work best on dark skin?

lildropofsunshine

What colors look best on dark skin? I'm assuming my artist is thinking about then when he's making up my design, but out of curiosity, what colors would y'all suggest on dark skin? Not crazy dark, but like, a little darker than Rihanna dark. Sorry, skin color is hard to describe. Is purple one? I hope the answer is yes because it's my favorite color and I would love to have it incorporated with my tattoo!

Edited by lildropofsunshine

57 minutes ago, pidjones said:

The only color that I've seen used on dark skin has been black. Don't know why. I suggest asking artists that do a lot of black skin. Good luck, and don't forget to post updates and photos of the tattoo when you get it!

Interesting. I've seen color on black people, but not enough to know what colors are good or bad to use. I'm definitely going to ask my artist what colors he thinks I should use, and then use them!

our black friends are not limited to a tattooed life in black & grey - 

there are certain (limited) colour pallets that will work quite well and others that just won't show up well or hold well on dark skin. I discussed this in some detail with one of my tattooers a few years ago but I can't remember which colours he avoids. but it also has to do with the design composition - keeping the design bold and simple and achieving appropriate contrast for the colours to show.

colour ink aside, tattooing african and asian skin is much different than the caucasian skin - seek out a skilled tattooer who is experienced with dark / black skin that knows how build the design composition and contrast accordingly and physically tattoo your skin type.