I love this series so much. That was such an honest window into the life and work of Horiyoshi III and Shige. I could listen to H3 talk all day long, so much wisdom and honesty in connection to anything I've ever heard, seen or read from/about him. I kept pausing the video at every frame in the tattoo museum to get a good look at it all. Hanky Panky's hair, hahaha!

I can't wait for part 2... I feel like every episode of this show really helps me put things into perspective in terms of my art, life and tattooing. It's really motivating and humbling, I dunno, I'm just really grateful for this effort.

How did I completely miss this thread? I just watched Episode 7 and what a treat it was. Apart from being very well done it's great to hear from Horiyoshi III and Shige as their approach to life and to their art is nothing short of inspiring. Seeing those Shige pieces on video is also something else. Looks like I got some catching up to do as well!

Was awesome hearing about Horiyoshi's early inspiration and really brought to mind how everything is interconnected.

The zen philosophy on tattooing and life was mind blowing. I could listen to hours of him speaking.

(smiles for days)

Have you watched the Vice Horiyoshi 3 video that's been posted here in another thread? It's in a similar vein and also really mind-blowing. I'd also love more of this, this is the sort of thing that makes me proud to be tattooed and to have a connection, however small and tenuous, to all of this.

This has been my favorite episode so far. Some of those back pieces were just to much to take in! Slowly I think I am starting to get and appreciate japanese style. I've seen that Vice part about Horiyoshi III earlier and it was interesting to get more words and insight from this fascinating man. As I was watching I was trying to grasp that this was the same person who liked (on instagram) one of the tattoos I have on me, just a month or so back. This modern world sure is strange.

I really liked the video... I noticed that Shige's tattoos look great in pictures, but then they actually showed some of the tattoos on film, with moving, breathing people... So dynamic, it's hard to explain. It's better than the pictures. And I was astounded by the colors more so than I was when I saw the pictures. Also, I saw the hanya backpeice that has been copied so many times... all those copies suck, the original was just beautiful

As others mentioned, this episode was phenomenal. Shige and Horiyoshi were both awesome interviewees, also both were inspiring. Was talking to the woman about the fact that no matter the craft or trade, dedication is that one thing that usually sets the greats apart from the rest, and I really appreciated that both mentioned how they've dedicated their lives fully to tattooing and that it's their lives. Shige was getting existential on our ass as well. Can't wait for part two.

Also, I'd like to have a beer with Marcus. Dude seems like such a cool guy.

Second viewing starting now. Probably the second of many ;)

......and yes, I caught a lot more the second time around (Hanky Panky's hair LOL! thanks @cltattooing ) There is so much to take in, especially visually. Aside from posts here on LST in the past few months, this is my first major exposure to the work of Shige. My mind is officially blown!

If I had to make one criticism, it would be that Marcus needs to make his questions more concise and much less wordy. I felt really bad for the interpreter lol :)

Second viewing starting now. Probably the second of many ;)

......and yes, I caught a lot more the second time around (Hanky Panky's hair LOL! thanks @cltattooing ) There is so much to take in, especially visually. Aside from posts here on LST in the past few months, this is my first major exposure to the work of Shige. My mind is officially blown!

If I had to make one criticism, it would be that Marcus needs to make his questions more concise and much less wordy. I felt really bad for the interpreter lol :)

i agree with you about the questions, but i wouldn't be surprised if that was edited in after the interview was done. if not, i completely agree. however, the dude should be cut some slack. he's a tattooer, not a journalist.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...