Tattoo Community?

Intomyskin

One of the things that I like about LST is that the regulars are like-minded and share a genuine enthusiasm for tattoos. I know some people are uncomfortable with the notion of a tattoo “community.”  However, in a sense I think that this is a “community” in that it is a group with common interests and experiences, and information to share, without judgement. 

Whether we like it or not, we have an interest in a practice that a many of people find pretty weird. So, there is something to be said for having a group of people available to you who do not find tattooing weird, and in fact find it quite wonderful.

Even if we have people around us who don’t judge or criticize, there is still a gap between tattooed and untattooed people that you can’t bridge. You really can’t talk to them about tattooing and expect a response that is enthusiastic, supportive and understanding that you would get from another tattooed person. And you certainly can’t discuss the technical aspects or ask for advice.

It is probably no different than, say, being interested in restoring old cars. People may accept your hobby, be curious about it, enjoy seeing your restored ’35 Chevy. But but the depth of conversation is limited, and at some point you wish you could talk to other car restorers so you can get into the intricacies of 1930s Chevy carburetors. It is fun to be able to “talk shop” with insiders in your field of interest, and it is fun to be one of the insiders.

Speaking for myself, I’m planning a back piece and sleeves, but have almost no tattooed people around me. So LST is sort of an oasis, where I can “hang out with” tattooed people, where it is ok to be tattooed, to like being tattooed, to be heavily tattooed, and to be excited about your next tattoo. You can just talk about tattoos as much as you want. I like to read the discussions, hear how people feel about tattooing, gather information, ask questions, and chime in, knowing that I am welcome. It is the only place where I can do that.

On the other hand, maybe some are happily tattooed and don’t feel any need to have like minded people to interact with.

So how do you feel about LST as a community, or about the concept of a “tattoo community” in general, and does it play a role for you in you tattooed life?

I like the idea of a tattoo community,here and in the real world,I do feel a brotherhood/sisterhood connection with other tattooed people,I am an outgoing person and  I enjoy interacting with other tattooed people in the real world,some tattooed people are open and receptive to conversation,some aren't.

either way,yes,I believe there is a connection here and in the real world amongst tattooed people.But at the same time I do welcome questions from and conversation with plainskins as well.

and in the real world I enjoy the stares and attention I get from being "different" because of my tattoos.

I would say the "tattoo community" is a very real thing and has been around for as long as people have been getting tattooed :)

I've been lucky enough to meet a good handful of people from the forum and have tattooed a good number of them and I am totally happy and proud to call them my friends. LST has played a pretty big role in my career, although discreetly. The interviews are pure gold and have a lot of soul and much to learn from. 

I'm not as active here as I once was, but it has always been that oasis you speak of. ?

A lot of smart, interesting people get and make tattoos.  I'm just speaking to my experience as a tattoo-getter but the older you become, the more it matters that you actively seek out people whose company you genuinely like (because they won't just fall into your lap), and shared interests work well for that.  I don't think I'm part of any tattoo community nor do I feel entitled to a welcome, but I'm looking forward to going to my first convention. 

Edited by polliwog

@polliwog - I love going to conventions for the same reason that I like LST: Even though there may be some who are there just to gawk, by and large people there (or here) “get it.” 

When I went to my first convention, it helped me realize that it’s ok to be tattooed. Even though I had seen pictures of heavily tattooed people before, I had never seen a person with a sleeve or back piece live and in the flesh. It may sound stupid and (I’m sorry) was exactly the kind of stereotyping that we fight here, but even though I was fascinated with the idea of having extensive tattoo coverage, I imagined that heavily tattooed people were some weird subculture leading bizarre isolated lives. At my first convention I talked to heavily tattooed people for the first time and saw that they were just people, like me. Duh…

They were nice, helpful and encouraged me to go for it.

That really helped me turn the corner on my tattoo interests, and not feel so weird about wanting to be heavily tattooed.

On September 3, 2016 at 9:19 AM, marley mission said:

in 'real life' discussions about tattoos tend to be awkward at best

Yeah. Tattooing is outside most people's range of understanding. I keep imagining a conversation that I might have with some of my friends:

(excitedly) "I'm starting my back piece next week!"

"Back piece?"

"It's a tattoo"

"You're getting a tattoo?????"

"Uh, Yes."

"Where on your back? Like on your shoulder blade?"

"Well, it will cover my whole back."

"A tattoo covering your whole back?????  Seriously????"

And the conversation spirals into the abyss from there.

1 hour ago, mmmsarah said:

I actually find this community very negative. I used to come on a lot but definitely feel like if you don't have the "right" style or aesthetic you are not welcome

I would have to disagree. My experience has been totally the opposite - people have been helpful and tolerant. Again, this is a tattoo forum. People who frequent it tend to be passionate about tattoos and that sometimes leads to strong opinions and discussions. In the end, though, it's a personal decision as to how much stock one places in another's opinion or idea. I have only one tattoo - and it is not of the prevalent style. No one has ever made me feel unwelcome.

1 hour ago, mmmsarah said:

I actually find this community very negative. I used to come on a lot but definitely feel like if you don't have the "right" style or aesthetic you are not welcome

I think people are more negative about badly done tattoos and not necessarily their subject. If the critique done is constructive (even if it's blunt) then it's great, as it builds and develops your taste toward good tattoos.

Again, talking more about the technical side and less on the subject. But if you have a realistic black&grey flying di*k tattooed on you, then it's open to interpretation :P

@mmmsarah where people run into problems at LST is when they beat a dead horse - post or create in 3 or 4 different threads looking for some sort of validation of their tattoo or tattoo idea - no one is bullied or picked on here - but you'll get honesty - and if you're desperate to get honesty in 3 or 4 different threads about the same damn thing - then thats what you'll get - yeah obviously traditional styles win the day here - but thats also because they tend to make the most solid looking tattoos 

Edited by marley mission

Any forum, even those that are "must be a member to post," is going to have people who are going to make negative comments. And some people are going to be blunt in their honest responses, and maybe sometimes a little too blunt.

For example, there are two ways to tell a newbie that traditional tattoos hold up well over the long term:

• "That watercolor s**t is going to look like dog puke smeared on the carpet in ten years, so if you decide to get something stupid like that, don't come back here whining about it and asking how to fix it. Get a REAL tattoo instead of some trendy impressionistic crap that you saw in some fancy magazine."

or...

• "Tattoos without outlines often don't hold up well over time. The ink fades and the images might become indistinct, expecialliy if you spend time in the sun. Take some time and look at some tattoos that are 20 or 30 years old and see what happens to the colors vs. the line work, and then make a decision."

I think the second is a more helpful response. But you are probably going to get some responses like the first one, so you have to have a filter. I have certainly seen some mean spirited responses to sincere questions.

For the most part, I think LST is good and supportive environment.

Very new here and I have to say I find the honesty refreshing.  There's too much BS in the world as it is.  I'm here for quality advice and insight, not hand-holding.  I've been cruising the initiation threads the last few days (got to page 71...geez) and I've seen a few threads where people just seem to be fishing for some kind of therapeutic approval. I'm all for supporting each other, but I'm glad to see this isn't a place for coddling the attention-grabbers.  I like the honesty of LST.  Keep it real.  Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2016 at 6:42 PM, Intomyskin said:

I think the second is a more helpful response.

I agree with this. You don't have to make someone feel stupid for not knowing as much as you.

9 hours ago, cookietruck said:

the blunt honesty is a good thing

This is not always true. Telling someone their brand new tattoo is shit, or even that you think it's ugly, is never helpful and is pretty rude. 

3 hours ago, mmmsarah said:

I agree with this. You don't have to make someone feel stupid for not knowing as much as you.

This is not always true. Telling someone their brand new tattoo is shit, or even that you think it's ugly, is never helpful and is pretty rude. 

@mmmsarah to me this is a part of the problem - this is not how to contribute - to jump on threads like this and pick at the bullshit - this is not contributing in my opinion - this is just trying to start shit - remember what it says on the home page:

Welcome to Last Sparrow Tattoo

The mission of this website is to help preserve the craft of GOOD tattooing and to serve as an educational resource for those who want to learn the difference between good and bad tattoos

this is not the place for the easily offended folks - you come here - you're gonna get alot of help and guidance - if you are ready for it - if you are just fishing for validation of your dumb idea - move along next forum please

Edited by marley mission

I don't think it's starting shit to say it's rude to dump on people's new tattoos. It's too late to change anything, why are you gonna make someone feel bad? It happens so much on initiation posts. But anyway doesn't matter, I've realised this forum is not for me. You guys do your thing, I wish lots of awesome tattoos in your futures!

33 minutes ago, mmmsarah said:

I don't think it's starting shit to say it's rude to dump on people's new tattoos. It's too late to change anything, why are you gonna make someone feel bad? It happens so much on initiation posts. But anyway doesn't matter, I've realised this forum is not for me. You guys do your thing, I wish lots of awesome tattoos in your futures!

when people come here and ask for comments on my new first tattoo,what do they expect ? we are all adults here,this isn't a "Hallmark" forum,

if it's a crappy tattoo, should we lie to sugar coat it so people feel better ?  NO !  IMO

"It's too late to change anything, why are you gonna make someone feel bad?"

nobody here is trying to make anyone feel bad about their tattoo,if it's a crappy design or applied badly,as hard as that is to hear,the biggest thing is hopefully we can help people get a better tattoo on their next tattoo.

it's that simple,

and yes,our types of replies will vary just as us humans are all different.

there are rules in place here and most people adhere to them pretty well.the moderators do a pretty good job here.compared to many online discussion forums this place stays very civil and friendly.

Edited by Dan

there are so many cool threads here about tattoos - so much to sink your teeth into - and people want to come on and hyper focus on their feelings being hurt - its just not what this place is about - and for real - nobody gets slammed here - i'll be the first to tell you i love 99% of peoples tattoos - i may not prefer them on me - but you're not gonna catch heat for a tattoo not being my style of tattoo - but yeah - people coming here wanting to beat this dead horse of the forum members being rude - please - go away and stay away

Edited by marley mission

This forum is mild compared to others, I've seen. In the end, we are only providing an opinion, granted many of you can provide a much more experienced opinion. Don't want the truth - or someone's version of the truth ? Don't ask the question. Don't agree with the opinion, ignore it. In the end, it's all about how you feel about your work.

12 minutes ago, marley mission said:

there are so many cool threads here about tattoos - so much to sink your teeth into - and people want to come on and hyper focus on their feelings being hurt - its just not what this place is about - and for real - nobody gets slammed here - i'll be the first to tell you i love 99% of peoples tattoos - i may not prefer them on me - but you're not gonna catch heat for a tattoo not being my style of tattoo - but yeah - people coming here wanting to beat this dead horse of the forum members being rude - please - go away and stay away

This. Seriously. Don't be a big fucking baby.  BYEEEEEEE.

I am still giggling that some people are sad flowers because we think their tattoo is shit. GET. OVER. IT. We don't have to like it because you do. If it is shitty, it is shitty. I'm not going to treat you like a delicate flower.

Edited by oboogie

Its very difficult to be sensitive when you know exactly why the question is being asked. Most people come here to have their ego stroked about their design, their ideas or their tattoo, and its plainly obvious. They ask for opinions on their ideas, or they ask you to critique the design they made or had someone else make, and when they recieve answers they dont like, it becomes apparent why they were asking.

If they truly cared about the questions they ask, they will be receptive of any response. If I have a question about healing a tattoo, I want to be told off for asking if its cool to let my dogs lick my leg. If they get offended or sensitive about the responses that they're given, its just an indicator that you're wasting your time answering them, and being sensitive about it will only encourage them.

This forum is an amazing resource filled with heavily tattooed people, with years and years of experience. If you want some of that knowledge, you're going to have to put on your big kid pants and realize you're not going to have your hand held here, or anywhere in tattooing. 

"Make tattooing scary again."

Edited by a_beukeveld