Most Difficult Tattoo Spots to Heal

Lochlan

The "Multiple Sessions" thread got me thinking about tattoos and healing plus my own trying to heal my elbow ditch right now. For those who don't know the elbow "ditch" is the inside of your arm where it bends so the tattoo/skin is always rubbing with almost every movement all day even as you sleep as well as I type right now. I wake up to the sheets and pillows having blood spots, god knows how many sheets I've ruined over the years from getting tattooed. I can only imagine back tattoos multiply this sheet process. A constant waking up in the morning pealing the sheets away. Anywho, I'll enjoy that when the time comes...

So what are the most difficult spots you've had to deal with in the healing process of getting tattooed. Also for tattooers, what are the spots you notice heal the worst due to their potentially difficult healing process due to location? Do you take the healing process in mind when you lay a stencil on too so the less intricate parts are in these locations? Lastly from me for now, anyone got any tricks they use when healing potentially difficult spots while they sleep or elsewhere? I've been trying to sleep with my arm straight which keeps me waking very often so don't think it's much of a trick, ha.

Yes so far the ditch has been the hardest part to heal. All I did was used an extra pillow to wedge my side to keep me from moving too much while sleeping and I kept my arm on top of the sheets so the area kept cool and aired out nicely after washing it before bed. I would also imagine (I have not had these done yet) the back of the knee would be a bad spot or on the sole of your foot. Oh and as I am thinking of it the arm pit too. . .Ouch. . .I don't want to think about that one.

The outside of my elbow was the worst for me. If you extend your arm with your palm facing up, I'm talking about the part that faces out (the brachioradialis, if you're keeping score). That took forever to heal.

When I was getting my arms tattooed, I cut the collar and sleeve off an old long-sleeved T-shirt and slept with that. It sounds goofy, but I put the shirt collar over my head so that the sleeve would stay on. That way, I didn't have to worry about it rubbing against the sheets (or my wife), and if my fresh tattoo stuck to the sleeve, I'd just run warm water over it and carefully remove it.

When I was getting my arms tattooed, I cut the collar and sleeve off an old long-sleeved T-shirt and slept with that. It sounds goofy, but I put the shirt collar over my head so that the sleeve would stay on. That way, I didn't have to worry about it rubbing against the sheets (or my wife), and if my fresh tattoo stuck to the sleeve, I'd just run warm water over it and carefully remove it.

good idea man, i wish this thread was around when i still had arm space.

• 4 months later...
The "Multiple Sessions" thread got me thinking about tattoos and healing plus my own trying to heal my elbow ditch right now. For those who don't know the elbow "ditch" is the inside of your arm where it bends so the tattoo/skin is always rubbing with almost every movement all day even as you sleep as well as I type right now. I wake up to the sheets and pillows having blood spots, god knows how many sheets I've ruined over the years from getting tattooed. I can only imagine back tattoos multiply this sheet process. A constant waking up in the morning pealing the sheets away. Anywho, I'll enjoy that when the time comes...

So what are the most difficult spots you've had to deal with in the healing process of getting tattooed. Also for tattooers, what are the spots you notice heal the worst due to their potentially difficult healing process due to location? Do you take the healing process in mind when you lay a stencil on too so the less intricate parts are in these locations? Lastly from me for now, anyone got any tricks they use when healing potentially difficult spots while they sleep or elsewhere? I've been trying to sleep with my arm straight which keeps me waking very often so don't think it's much of a trick, ha.

I am currently having my back worked on and will unwrap it a few hours after and, wash and apply Aquaphor then rewrap it before bed. I keep my back stock supplies at home so I always have the dri locs from Lucky's supply on hand. But for any one who doesn't and would want to try this method maybe offer to buy a few from the artist if he or she is using them. They always work for me.

Generally I heal well , though leg tattoos take longer... My latest tattoo on my upper arm was my first black and grey piece and it healed terribly for some reason , like my body was rejecting it or something. It only started to heal when I took some mineral supplements (mostly Iron/Zinc) I am a vegetarian who eats very little in the way of dairy (no eggs and no milk)

I think I must have been run down or something, depressing and embarassing , because i need to go get a touch up done , hate going back to the artist looking like I didnt take care of it at all when nothing is farther from the truth !!

The hips!

How do you not walk around rubbing your new tattoo off with the waistband of undies/boxers/pants/shorts? I took to tucking my tshirts into my undies which looked ridiculous (at that stage of dressing) but it stopped the waistband of said undies from chaffing on the fresh tattoo. If I could wear a summer dress or kaftan w no undies it would have been perfect.:)

• 3 weeks later...

our general aftercare system is to rub bepanthen right into the tattooed area and to keep wrapped for three days (changing 3 or 4 times a day) this seems to help bypass the scabbing phase by reducing the body fluid / air reaction needed for the scab.after three days of this generaly there is not much body fluid loss.however extensivly tattooed people seem to start to react to the cling film after a day or so.all this said the ditch of the arm is still awkward,i tend to try and get customers to keep it greasy with ointment not smothered.

• 2 months later...
After finishing my stomach I noticed that right at the pants line/belt line is taking forever to heal. Since I sit in a rig for 8-10 hours a day, its always rubbing on my belt/pants. Ive been using trauma pads to try and dull the friction this last week... kinda works.

AHHH thanks for using the proper terms for these. One of the guys who tattooed me used these things when he Saran-wrapped me up and I could never figured out what they were called. Thanks!

AHHH thanks for using the proper terms for these. One of the guys who tattooed me used these things when he Saran-wrapped me up and I could never figured out what they were called. Thanks!

No worries pal. They are also called abdominal pads and dont stick to wounds. They are great for covering up intestines that have leaked out from penetrating injuries.

But I think they work better for tattoos.

• 1 month later...

Well I think that the foot will be one of my all time least favorite places to get tattooed. While getting tattooed isn't so bad, the healing sucks. Was told to keep it cleaned and wrapped for the first few days, and I am. But I can already see a few places I will need to get touched up. And I'm not looking toward to having a swollen foot again.

• 2 weeks later...

the red in my arm is healing weird. its all raised, and cracking but only the deep red. its almost.... candle wax like. its been almost 2 weeks and im hoping it settles down to normal soon. we did a patch a month ago of the same red and it healed fine so i dont know whats up

@jayessebee, update?

@CaptCanada, photo?

@embers, I had a weird reaction with a red on just one section of my arm where it kinda got all rashy for a week or two about a month after I had it tattooed. Totally forgot about it til just now.. I left it alone and it magically healed up fine. I think red is one of those colors that can go ten thousand different ways.