Most Difficult Tattoo Spots to Heal

Lochlan

Starting my full back down to back of knees in 3 weeks.

I have a pretty active job, that does include a fair amount of driving.

I've been a bit concerned for how my cheeks, and cheek ditch is gonna feel and heal?

Anyone out there who can share their experiences healing their ass cheeks?!

Cheeks have healed pretty well so far (I'm not fully covered yet), my problems have been the hamstrings with regards to sitting. Right about the spot where the edge of the chair/seat would be. I was told that those spots should be lotioned a little extra since they dry out quicker to prevent major scabs from forming. You might still get scabs but just do what you can.

Cheeks have healed pretty well so far (I'm not fully covered yet), my problems have been the hamstrings with regards to sitting. Right about the spot where the edge of the chair/seat would be. I was told that those spots should be lotioned a little extra since they dry out quicker to prevent major scabs from forming. You might still get scabs but just do what you can.

My problem has been the hamstrings. Cheeks heal just fine. Hammies require some TLC.

• 1 month later...

I just had the knee ditch tattooed last Saturday and its pretty sore. pretty much the most painful area ive had tattooed yet. Any tips on healing this faster or should I continue to experience some discomfort seeing how this area gets more movement than other areas of the body. Ive been applying aquafor and keeping it moist like my artist told me too pretty much the same aftercare as my other tattoos Ive gotten in the past. Been wearing loose fitting clothing at work would just like some others opinions on the matter thanks!

I just had the knee ditch tattooed last Saturday and its pretty sore. pretty much the most painful area ive had tattooed yet. Any tips on healing this faster or should I continue to experience some discomfort seeing how this area gets more movement than other areas of the body. Ive been applying aquafor and keeping it moist like my artist told me too pretty much the same aftercare as my other tattoos Ive gotten in the past. Been wearing loose fitting clothing at work would just like some others opinions on the matter thanks!

Sounds like you're doing the right thing, but if it starts looking wacky or anything just follow up with your artist.

Also, please introduce yourself in the Initiation Thread!

• 5 weeks later...

I've always heard that the parts of the body that are prone to the most moisture are the ones that have the most problems healing. They also seem like that don;t last as long compared to other ones. One case I know of is a friend who got some lettering done on the inside of her lower lip.

A tattoo artist friend also told me that the time of year/temperature can actually make a difference. The reason is that apparently in the warmer months, your skin is less supple and that makes if more of a problem than getting a piece done during the winter months.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with the ditch. When deciding were to get my last one thought I'd go inner are didn't think it be easy to not hit stuff and to keep clean. Boy was I wrong I never thought about bending my arm or even how often I hit my arm on stuff I'm sorta of a cluts but it definitely took the longest to heal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you're a man who wears shorts, then -- hands-down -- the most difficult places to heal are the front and inside of your shins. Why? 'cuz when you pee -- toilet or urinal -- it splashes up onto those areas and ends-up causing infection. Ask the man who owns one.

• 2 weeks later...
If you're a man who wears shorts, then -- hands-down -- the most difficult places to heal are the front and inside of your shins. Why? 'cuz when you pee -- toilet or urinal -- it splashes up onto those areas and ends-up causing infection. Ask the man who owns one.

You take your pants off when you pee? Don't take your pants off when you pee!

I'm going into your direction when you said elbow ditch (inside area) is one of the worst place to heal.

As you mentionned, as we are all moving and turning around during nights, it's quite difficult to have a perfect result.. the scabs always re-opened and it's was nightmare... I'm happy my both ditch are done. Knowing this, I don't plan to tattoo absolutely the back of my knee.

Another interesting and funny thing I read was:" this color or this color was more difficult to heal on my skin...". I should admit it's right: I had a lot of trouble with yellow on my side... Red was always perfect but yellow in my frangipani flowers was like a continuous war between my patience and this tattoo.

Planning your SOG monmon trip? ;-)

Why, yes! Driving up the day before, staying 2 nights and I plan to drive back the next day. Didn't think I was going to be the one driving, but now it turns out I probably am and so I'm just starting to get nervous about it based on stuff I have read here about lower leg pain & healing issues!

Why, yes! Driving up the day before, staying 2 nights and I plan to drive back the next day. Didn't think I was going to be the one driving, but now it turns out I probably am and so I'm just starting to get nervous about it based on stuff I have read here about lower leg pain & healing issues!

I've had mixed experiences with lower leg tattoos. Depending on the tattooer, I think they can swell up a lot or not at all. Not sure what Horitomo's tattoos heal like. Good luck! Post pics!

Has anyone had to drive 5 hours or so the day after getting a lower leg tattoo?

Didn't have to, but I did a 6/7hr motorcycle ride the day after getting a knee-cap to ankle shin piece. Wrapped it with saniderm on my artists recommendation (which leaked all over...my socks/boots were pretty gross) which kept it pretty protected. It wasn't bad at all while riding, but standing up wasn't super fun after being seated for awhile.

Woohoo! Monmon cats, a must love.

Okay, I can't say I've driven back to LA after having my lower leg or feet tattooed but I did fly. Not much fun. I feel I'm not so good with lower limbs though. When I had one of my lower legs tattooed and when I got both of my feet tattooed they swelled a lot. Did you ever see the first Star Trek re-boot, where Captain Kirk's hands swelled into balloons? Yeah my feet were like that.

I kind of regretted not taking the first flight back into LA where I could immediately go home and just prop my legs up and not do anything. After the session my feet were sore but not too swollen so that would have been good. Instead I stayed in SF and flew home the next day. When I woke up in the hotel the next morning , I almost laughed it was so comical. Even though I had my feet propped up, and iced, over night, the swelling had increased significantly. Running to catch a flight home later that afternoon sucked. Perhaps driving won't be as bad because you won't be putting weight on your leg. You're just sitting there. Or is the leg you're getting tattooed your right side?

I will say this though. One of the guys at the shop recommended "white willow bark". After taking it in the morning the swelling did reduce a lot. It was still swollen after but helped reduce the swelling noticeably. I recommend looking into it before you go though. Having to stop off at 3 different locations looking for it on the way back into SF, probably did not help my cause.

Has anyone had to drive 5 hours or so the day after getting a lower leg tattoo?

Yep! Drove back from Montreal to Hamilton the day after having my right inner calf, just above my ankle done. It honestly wasn't so bad once I was in the car, it was getting in and out at rest stops that brought on the pain, but after sitting for a bit it settled down. It was still quite warm out, so I wore a dress and didn't have to worry about fabric rubbing on it or having to cover it up again.

Thanks for the replies, guys! Yes @Lance, I was planning on it being my right leg.... d'oh!

Will look into white willow bark.

And a skirt rather than my regular jeans.

Will plan to whine a lot at rest stops or skip them altogether if at all possible.

The third day wouldn't be any better would it? May as well just get home.

In my limited experience, the third day was a lot worse than the second. I read similar comments elsewhere on this forum. Swelling didn't really set in until the evening of the second day, but I kept my leg tightly wrapped the night before, so maybe that helped? I was sitting in a chair on the train with my feet in a position similar to driving on day 3 for 15 hours, and I was fine except for the standing up/walking business...

I am team "go home as soon as you can"