hardest artist to book

I can understand not being able to respond to all emails, and forgetting that you've been in touch with someone, but the stop-and-go contact is puzzling. Why not just make up an excuse if you're not into the client's tattoo idea, if you don't want to say that outright?

Disclaimer: I'm not an artist (well, not a good one) and I don't have a stereotypically artistic temperament, other than being late for everything and sleeping at stupid hours. I also work with a public who would pitch a shit fit if I weren't 100 percent nice about even the stupidest things, so I'm used to prostrating myself before the people who make me money...

/cranky

All good questions but not knowing why the artist is not responding makes it difficult to know what to do next.

Weeding out non serious people, not interested in idea, too busy, unorganized and/or poor communicator. If I knew their reason, I would know what to do next. Be polite but persistent, propose a different idea, try again in 3 months, regularly visit the shop, etc..

Killercook, could you tells us more about your Tim Hendricks experience. Did you change your idea, was he weeding you out, was he too busy ?

Are you asking me how I got an appointment by him? Well I started out with an email like once a month then every three months or so. I think I also dropped another artist(S) names too.

When I got tattooed by him he told me that he gets like 1000 emails a week by people asking for a tattoo. Plus he travels a lot for conventions and guest spots. He does all his appointments so if it were me I wouldn't be able to filter through all those emails without going crazy. I mean there is only a certain amount of time during the day and someone that busy isn't going to answer them all. He probably gets a lot of people wasting his time too.

I wouldn't call it unorganized it's just how does someone pick and choose when they get so many emails?? He told me that persistence was one of the reasons why it worked out. Plus he loves to do traditional tattoos though he is known for realism. My tattoo was a traditional style cobra. Who wouldn't want to tattoo that? haha!

My advice would be to polite but persistent. Be nice and say youre a serious tattoo collector. Just be advised you may have to travel to Costa Mesa California. He does travel and told me that he would hook me up if he ever came to NYC but.. I think you need to take the first step and travel before he gives you any special treatment.

- - - Updated - - -

honestly I think I just got extremely lucky!! On a side note he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet in your life. Super down to earth and cool!!

Are you asking me how I got an appointment by him? Well I started out with an email like once a month then every three months or so. I think I also dropped another artist(S) names too.

When I got tattooed by him he told me that he gets like 1000 emails a week by people asking for a tattoo. Plus he travels a lot for conventions and guest spots. He does all his appointments so if it were me I wouldn't be able to filter through all those emails without going crazy. I mean there is only a certain amount of time during the day and someone that busy isn't going to answer them all. He probably gets a lot of people wasting his time too.

I wouldn't call it unorganized it's just how does someone pick and choose when they get so many emails?? He told me that persistence was one of the reasons why it worked out. Plus he loves to do traditional tattoos though he is known for realism. My tattoo was a traditional style cobra. Who wouldn't want to tattoo that? haha!

My advice would be to polite but persistent. Be nice and say youre a serious tattoo collector. Just be advised you may have to travel to Costa Mesa California. He does travel and told me that he would hook me up if he ever came to NYC but.. I think you need to take the first step and travel before he gives you any special treatment.

- - - Updated - - -

honestly I think I just got extremely lucky!! On a side note he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet in your life. Super down to earth and cool!!

I briefly met tim a 2 years ago but was in tattoo fog and didnt properly introduce myself when he came up to me. Last October @cvportagee and I walked up to him and he was so easy to talk with and gave both of us numbered prints of his "tattoo apprentice" drawing. He seemed genuinely excited to do my stomach. He is a busy man and honestly His approach is quite refreshing IMO. I mean he could keep it straight business and have a 2 yr wait and funnel everything through assistants but he seems to be more interested in tattooing friends, other tattooers and shit he really likes to do rather than take all comers.

I emailed another known artist in NYC. Got an auto email response explaining his philosophy and preferred style of tattooing. Waited a few days and I responded to his auto email. Got another auto email response that had additional information on his process of scheduling, sketching, etc..

Seems like a good way for him to weed out emails from people who don't line up with his style or are not serious. I will wait a few more days and respond to the 2nd auto email.

He's been tattooing for over 20 years and looks like his experience has led him to a very good way to deal with new tattoo requests.

I briefly met tim a 2 years ago but was in tattoo fog and didnt properly introduce myself when he came up to me. Last October @cvportagee and I walked up to him and he was so easy to talk with and gave both of us numbered prints of his "tattoo apprentice" drawing. He seemed genuinely excited to do my stomach. He is a busy man and honestly His approach is quite refreshing IMO. I mean he could keep it straight business and have a 2 yr wait and funnel everything through assistants but he seems to be more interested in tattooing friends, other tattooers and shit he really likes to do rather than take all comers.

I can't speak for him.. Wait list mean that the artist is tied down and can't really travel much and go to different conventions etc. I know for a fact he doesn't have an assistant so like I said I could only imagine how he chooses his appointments.

Maybe next time you meet him you can ask him yourself about securing an appointment? or just keep on emailing him and hope for the best! I know for a fact if you put you name on a wait list at wooster they will email you when he comes to NYC. From there it's up to you to call the shop and secure an appointment.

I'm sure he tattoos his friends yes!! Most artist tattoo other artist all the time!!

I first started getting tattooed by a well know artist in South Florida that opened the door to another artist etc etc. With so many people wasting these guys time and cancelling when they find out the price or that they have to travel etc. I really don't know how they secure appointments. I too would tattoo mostly people i know and other artist.

Then again I'm a nobody and I got an appointment with Tim. It's all in the email! Just be polite and maybe be open to a couple different designs. No back pieces or sleeves. Honestly he doesn't answer all my emails too. Also you have to catch him when he's in cali..

We've all been there and done that in regards to the e-mailing; myself included. I had e-mailed a very well respected artist about starting my other arm and doing a half sleeve and chest plate whenever he guest spotted in the city. I got a response back fairly quickly instructing me he'd have to look at his schedule to see if he could fit me in for that years guest spots and to send pictures of the area I'd like tattooed. I promptly wrote back showing pictures but it was crickets after that. Then two months later I had sent another e-mail saying that I had a change of heart in regards to doing the half sleeve and chest plate because I didn't want something to be in progress for so long and would rather do a possible one shot on the ribs.

Needless to say I never heard back and in all honestly I never e-mailed again after that. I'm not going to jump through hoops and e-mail you to death in hopes of hearing back that you will tattoo me. There are just too many world class artists out there that will have no problem tattooing you to get hung up over the one that didn't e-mail you back. Just my thoughts on it.

Needless to say I never heard back and in all honestly I never e-mailed again after that. I'm not going to jump through hoops and e-mail you to death in hopes of hearing back that you will tattoo me. There are just too many world class artists out there that will have no problem tattooing you to get hung up over the one that didn't e-mail you back. Just my thoughts on it.

I totally agree. I don't mind putting in a little effort. We all have a different breaking point when we will seek out a different artist. The lack of response to email is understandable but it does affect how persistent I will be before giving up.

I am lucky to live in an area with a lot of good artists. However, there are certain subjects that really narrow down the field of which artist I would choose.

It is interesting to read about people's experiences in how they booked their artist.

Wow I'm so glad I've never had to do any of this kind of stuff. I've never emailed an artist, and the only time I've had to set up an appt besides in person or a quick call was with actual real mail, and only because we were not previously friends but still within 1 very close degree of separation. Granted, he doesn't even have an email address, and neither did I at that time.

But the point that I'm getting to is that getting a hand written (not a printed one in my opinion) letter gives a more personal touch and adds an air of serious intent. I'd suggest that if there is a shop address it's probably worth doing.

Real letters via real mail; It's way cooler than email and prob a good chance it's gonna get you noticed and possibly put you closer to the top of the stack.

All good questions but not knowing why the artist is not responding makes it difficult to know what to do next.

Weeding out non serious people, not interested in idea, too busy, unorganized and/or poor communicator. If I knew their reason, I would know what to do next. Be polite but persistent, propose a different idea, try again in 3 months, regularly visit the shop, etc..

Killercook, could you tells us more about your Tim Hendricks experience. Did you change your idea, was he weeding you out, was he too busy ?

It's all of the above.

I was able to get in with Kim Saigh, who's pretty famous from TV and stuff, after the wife @TrixieFaux got a tattoo from her -- and she was able to get in because we have some mutual friends from Chicago. I just happened to stop by the shop when Seth Wood was in town so I could meet him in person. Waited about a year for him to do a guest spot in L.A., after emailing periodically every few months, and Kim also tipped me off when he was coming.

If you look at it from their point of view, they can more or less pick and choose their clients so it helps if you have a connection and/or some good tattoos from well-known artists, which shows you're serious and committed, i.e. can pay, know how to sit, are not a crazy, a flake, or a pain in the ass. This can also be communicated in an email -- as opposed to those people on Instagram who write stuff like: "ur rad how can i get a tatu from u how much do u cost homy"

"If you look at it from their point of view, they can more or less pick and choose their clients so it helps if you have a connection and/or some good tattoos from well-known artists, which shows you're serious and committed, i.e. can pay, know how to sit, are not a crazy, a flake, or a pain in the ass. This can also be communicated in an email -- as opposed to those people on Instagram who write stuff like: "ur rad how can i get a tatu from u how much do u cost homy"

That's funny.

I visited the shops in person and they said the process is to email the artist. I was a little surprised. I thought email would be for out of town people. As a local, I was expecting them to check their artist schedule and ask me to come back when they had a gap and do a initial consult. But it's probably like you say. They are popular, booked for a little while, and use email as a way to filter.

If you look at it from their point of view, they can more or less pick and choose their clients so it helps if you have a connection and/or some good tattoos from well-known artists, which shows you're serious and committed, i.e. can pay, know how to sit, are not a crazy, a flake, or a pain in the ass. This can also be communicated in an email -- as opposed to those people on Instagram who write stuff like: "ur rad how can i get a tatu from u how much do u cost homy"

This is exactly it. I inquired at a shop I frequent about booking with an artist and was surprised when they jumped all over it and told me to use their name when contacting the artist and to include them on the email, etc. and I would get right in, no problem. And that all came because I don't bullshit them and sit well, show up on time, and so on... It may be the long route getting in with an artist that's tough to book, but if you show people you're serious about collecting tattoos for the long run, those hard-to-reach artists are suddenly really accessible.

It's all of the above.

I was able to get in with Kim Saigh, who's pretty famous from TV and stuff, after the wife @TrixieFaux got a tattoo from her -- and she was able to get in because we have some mutual friends from Chicago. I just happened to stop by the shop when Seth Wood was in town so I could meet him in person. Waited about a year for him to do a guest spot in L.A., after emailing periodically every few months, and Kim also tipped me off when he was coming.

HaHA!! I totally agree some of these artist that are famous because whatever aren't that hard to get an appointment from. You just have to know the correct way to approach them via email. Luck is also sometimes a factor. Like I said i got an appointment by Vince Moisdon from South Florida a well known artist from that area. I told Chris Garver that i got a tattoo from him and contacted Chris way before he moved to NYC. That got the ball rolling and when Chris came to NYC he quickly remembered me and I got an appointment really fast.

Tim I think I started emailing him then after a while in my emails I mentioned that I have work from Garver, Corey Miller (which is one of his mentors) and from that he emailed me back. Then after that I mentioned I would be willing to travel to California and when would be a good time to come basically. He responded back then we finally agreed on a date.

So I agree sometimes a hook up is important to get work from some of these artist but other times it's just luck. I think I emailed him some pics of my current tattoos too. That is a good indication that you can 1. afford it 2. not going to back out 3. not just another person that is going to waste there time etc.

Othewise..

It's all of the above.

Hmmm, maybe I'm lucky but I had zero connections or friends or anything when I booked my first appt with Kim. Working on tattoo #5 from her right now. I think she, like anyone who is good enough and fortunate enough to have the luxury, is just picky about the projects she takes on. Or maybe I'm just that charming via email? ok, probably not

Hmmm, maybe I'm lucky but I had zero connections or friends or anything when I booked my first appt with Kim. Working on tattoo #5 from her right now. I think she, like anyone who is good enough and fortunate enough to have the luxury, is just picky about the projects she takes on. Or maybe I'm just that charming via email? ok, probably not

I'm sure you are that charming -- and for sure it matters if the idea is appealing or not. I don't think I've seen your Kim tattoos. Are they posted anywhere?

if you follow her IG and go back in the time line, I'm the Ganesh (last week, outline only), the Panther (finished around November), and the Tiger (finished probably 18 months ago). The first two are linked in my profile. I think they preceded her IG usage?

I love Kim's tattoos ! She does super nice work especially flowers. I love the squid and girl that she posted recently!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure you can call what I had connections. I think there are many factors that is involved when artist pick clients to tattoo. I think some people can be inpatient (me included). It can get a bit frustrating but even though I get inpatient I always follow a super respectful and nice approach and this usually always works out.

I don't really have an answer how I get these appointments from artist like Garver, Corey miller, Tim , etc. Waiting for me is sometimes a good thing because it gives me time to make sure on the design and also save money.

Yeah, I don't know that she booked with me the first time because of our mutual friend. I emailed her via her website email/form. In my email I told her what I wanted and I did mention the mutual friend. It may have helped, but maybe she would have tattooed me anyway. Either way, it's always fun. I have an appointment w/her on Saturday. Your Ganesh looks amazing!

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping this old threat. At this point i'd like my tattoo to get done by Johan Finné. Ive been looking up his facebook and the website from the shop where hes located. According to the website his booking stopped 'indefinitely'. On his facebook page there isnt a phonenumber/email either. Cant find any info if he will be tattooing on conventions or is still tattooing for that mather. Do you think its worth it to call the shop and ask about him? I dont want to be pushy or some anoying customer. Im not sure if indefinitely really means he wont take new appointments or its just to 'cut out the weed' ?

If you want something bad enough and you put in the time, patience and persistence...it will happen.

I waited 2 years to finally get a spot w/ my tattooer. Well worth the wait if you really want it!

I concur with @bongsau A great artist is worth the wait.

I too waited around 24 months before I got a consult with the artist who is doing my work now.

I had almost forgotten about contacting him and being on the wait list when I finally got the call that it is my time to come and see him. :) Worst thing was I was on holidays for about 6 weeks when he rang so had to postpone it further. :(

Waiting sucks big time when you want the art now, but from my experience even a 2 year wait has been more than worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Grime, Mike Roper, Marcus Pacheco, Lars Uwe, Uncle Allan

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for bumping this old threat. At this point i'd like my tattoo to get done by Johan Finné. Ive been looking up his facebook and the website from the shop where hes located. According to the website his booking stopped 'indefinitely'. On his facebook page there isnt a phonenumber/email either. Cant find any info if he will be tattooing on conventions or is still tattooing for that mather. Do you think its worth it to call the shop and ask about him? I dont want to be pushy or some anoying customer. Im not sure if indefinitely really means he wont take new appointments or its just to 'cut out the weed' ?

I would have to agree with Johan as well. Last I heard he is tattooing mostly people in the area and existing clients only. I would love a second pass from him (doesn't need it at all but I just want to get tattooed by him again) but I am not holding my breath. Have u tried emailing him?