Tattooers with little to no tattoos

Lochlan

Also, this isn't a theoretical argument, where logic wins. "If this is true, then this must equal false" It's a real-life discussion about real things and when it comes to tattoos and tattooing:

The tattooer is ALWAYS right.

AND STEWART COMES OUT WITH THE WIN!!!!!!!! well put sir..hahaha

i used to work for a guy who only had 6 tattoos...none bigger than a softball...he was too picky or they hurt to bad...fuck that shit...i busted his balls every chance i got, especially in front of his customers...how can you tell someone how its going to feel or how to relax and breathe thru it if you have hardly done it yourself...he is a fucking parasite to my craft that i've struggled for and dedicated my life to, even before i was tattooing i was pretty heavily covered...it's a lifelong commitment.

|

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that a tattooer with no tattoos cannot really adequately represent what he/she has never felt themselves, nor can they give you specific information about so many other aspects of the experience. I was at a convention recently and the apprentice at the booth next to ours had no tattoos (her family wouldn't allow them) and said she might not ever get any. It confused me a little as to why she even wanted to be a tattooer; during our conversation (we talked a bit, as the two female apprentices on our side of the event) it was obvious that she didn't know about what styles of tattoos she liked or would want to do, what kind her shop specialized in, or the names of any tattooers other than those on the tv shows. I can't take seriously a tattooer with no tattoos; just can't.

I'm curious as to where the threshold is - what would be "tattooed enough" for those that insist on a certain level of tattoos on the tattooer? What if the tattooer loves tattoos, but doesn't like the "full coverage' look?

I'm hoping this doesn't come across as snarky, because I don't mean it that way. I'm very curious as to what would be enough to qualify them....for me, I'd have to see a dang impressive portfolio to go to someone with no tattoos at all, but I'd certainly go if their work looked good enough. I'd also wonder what they might have that just didn't show, which is another area...what about someone with half sleeves and fully covered legs, who happens to be wearing jeans and a short-sleeved shirt that covers their work when you meet them?

I'd also wonder what they might have that just didn't show, which is another area...what about someone with half sleeves and fully covered legs, who happens to be wearing jeans and a short-sleeved shirt that covers their work when you meet them?

I think this is an interesting point. When meeting someone who appears that way, do we (the nondescript, collective "we") automatically assume they have no tattoos? If they roll up the leg of their jeans and reveal some brilliant work, are they suddenly to be taken seriously?

To be honest, I don't know of a lot of tattoo artists who don't have visible tattoos, so I'm not sure how I'd react in the situation of wanting work by one. It's a bit like the "winning the lottery" conundrum - people seem to talk about it a lot, but it doesn't seem a likely situation to find oneself in.

I think this is an interesting point. When meeting someone who appears that way, do we (the nondescript, collective "we") automatically assume they have no tattoos? If they roll up the leg of their jeans and reveal some brilliant work, are they suddenly to be taken seriously?

To be honest, I don't know of a lot of tattoo artists who don't have visible tattoos, so I'm not sure how I'd react in the situation of wanting work by one. It's a bit like the "winning the lottery" conundrum - people seem to talk about it a lot, but it doesn't seem a likely situation to find oneself in.

My assumption is that this thread is about 'tattooers with little to no tattoos' rather than tattooers with no 'visible tattoos.' From reading posts in this forum by tattooers and the tattooed, tattoos above the collar or below the cuff, should be a rare thing, and only arrived at after basically 'running out of room.' Of course, running out of room completely negates the point being debated in the thread's subject line.

Not having 'visible tattoos' but still having tattoos, is NOT akin to have 'no tattoos at all.'

The issue is not about having enough, but about having any at all. That's where eye brows go up for me, maybe not for other people.

I mean, I don't think plastic surgeons are required to have BOTOX face in order to be taken seriously. In fact, I would actually take them less so.

edit:

The issue of what constitutes 'enough' is just parlor rhetoric. The 'just' is not meant to be snarky. :o

I'm trying to view this with an objective eye, and consider situations where a professional does not have to have first-hand experience of the service they are providing. However, for me the barrier to having a tattoo from an untattooed person would the issue of understanding skin and how the needle causes pain. Surely that is an integral part of being a good tattooer? Tattooists should surely have some empathy with the experience of pain caused by tattooing in order to tattoo in an empathetic way. In my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

It's kinda like going to a lady doctor for a vasectomy and asking her what it's going to feel like and having her reply "Oh, you'll only feel a LITTLE discomfort".

If you don't have junk, you don't know how it feels to have somebody cut it open... If you don't have tattoos, you don't know how your pressure and movements are going to affect your client. I wouldn't go to an artist that didn't have a lot of work done myself.

• 3 months later...
That was "Paulie Tattoos" from Brooklyn, He's got a backpiece from Mike Ledger and then like, a tribal armband. Super weird.

@Perez Chris torres also from brooklyn has a shit ton of empty space. I dont know if he has anything on his back but his whole chest is bare minus a neck tattoo. Cant recall if he had anything above the elbow but remember thinking he didnt have many tattoos at all.

@Perez Chris torres also from brooklyn has a shit ton of empty space. I dont know if he has anything on his back but his whole chest is bare minus a neck tattoo. Cant recall if he had anything above the elbow but remember thinking he didnt have many tattoos at all.

The difference being Chris has tattooed with good dudes in shops all over NYC since 96 and Paulie spent the last 10 years tattooing in his mom's basement.

The difference being Chris has tattooed with good dudes in shops all over NYC since 96 and Paulie spent the last 10 years tattooing in his mom's basement.

@Scott R chris has forearm tattoos done by anil. his legs are heavily covered also.

you also have to remember tony palito(spelling?) only has two tattoos

I would guess Torres is leaving his chest bare a) because he's waiting for someone in particular to tattoo it b) he's heard it hurts like hell.

I've made a deal with my fiance' to not tattoo my chest, everything else being open to ink. So that should look interesting in a few years ; )

@Chelsea Shoneck I guess different strokes my wife prefers no chest tattoos, says she has never seen one that she prefers. She is telling me right now that" if its a eagle lets say it will be a saggy eagle someday everything else sags more gracefully but not the nerps" This is coming from a girl who has no tattoos and is supportive of my interests but would probably prefer I didnt have any.

• 3 months later...

A tattooer without even any visible tattoos just doesn't really make sense to me. I'm just apprentice but I am so completely obsessed with tattooing that I can't even imagine why a tattooer wouldn't want to have tattoos. I'm not saying you have to be completely covered, I by no means am (yet). I have stuff on both arms but they aren't quite full yet and I have some on my legs as well. Being an apprentice, I don't really make a lot of money but I constantly put some aside each week to save up for tattoos and pretty much just live on ramen noodles and cereal. In fact some of my greatest "Aha!! so that's how it's done!" moments have come from being tattooed by people I really respect. Towards the beginning of my apprenticeship I had to put a few tattoos on myself before I could even think about tattooing another person.

Tattooing completely consumes me and I feel that I have been given one of the greatest gifts in the world. The fact that any tattooer would not feel the same and not be be completely engrossed in this craft that I have come to love so much kind of makes me sad.

That's my two cents but what the fuck do I know, I'm just an apprentice.