Tattooers with little to no tattoos

Lochlan

Years ago, during the mid to later 90's, there was a regular who I would see at every convention I attended, and thats when I was going to as many as I could, whether just attending or working it. He looked like what a more "close minded" individual would call a "walking stereotype". This gentleman was Asian-American. He looked about middle age, and had a very common "parted" haircut. He wore short-sleeved bright patterned button -up shirts, with (often) a few cameras hung around his neck, and was just snapping away at anything and everything he found interesting to photograph.And most noticeable, was not a single visible tattoo on this guy! I'm not exaggerating one bit in my description, seriously. He was also one of the most innovative and talented tattooists of the day, so for lack of a better "phrase", don't judge a book by its cover! This is how I learned that lesson....his name was Da Wei Zhang, and I still think his work is some of the best realism Ive ever laid eyes on. just my 2cents.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the Cleveland Rocks Tattoo Convention last Saturday. A TON of little to no tattoos "Tattoo Artists" Made me so sick to my f'n stomach. I just don't understand some peoples dispositions about wanting to be some sweet tattoo guy w/ no f'n tattoos!

Lyle Tuttle was there along with Gil Monte and Philadelphia Eddie. How Dare you show up to work, let only tattoo at a tattoo convention w/ no tattoos.

i'm usually keep it cool and mind my own business when it come to what most people do, but when it hurts what I love, I cant sit back. Sometimes I wish there was a congressional committee of sorts that, could take machines away from douchey, untattooed posers. I hate the way it looks.

And the simple facts remains, how can anyone trust you to put good tattoos on them if YOU DON'T HAVE ANY! Or how else do you expect to better yourself if YOU DON'T HAVE ANY F'N TATTOOS!!!

"oh , yeah I'm tattooed, I got this back piece from like three people that I've been working on for like TEN years" - poser, Literally TEN years, and it's not even 80% done! Give it up and by it I mean your career!

Oh, I get it you're so sweet, and understand everything about tattoos , that you dont even need them. Or lemme guess you're waiting on yer homeboy whos got like one good visible tattoo to do some sick sleeve on you right bruh! Bruh you're a fool! F-U! Get out of the business!!!!!

Back in the old days ole timers like Eddie would've crushed your f'n hands, burned down your shop, took your girl and tattooed their name on her ass!!!

Sorry for being so nasty, but that shit gets me so f'n angry!

People sent years perfecting their craft on themselves on hookers on their co-workers, bikers, friends, durggies, and you what wanna use a f'n "tattoo skin" Get the F outta here!!! urrrgh!!

Get f'n tattooed or get the f out dumbass! you look like a fool! Quit taking up space for real tattooers!

Years ago, during the mid to later 90's, there was a regular who I would see at every convention I attended, and thats when I was going to as many as I could, whether just attending or working it. He looked like what a more "close minded" individual would call a "walking stereotype". This gentleman was Asian-American. He looked about middle age, and had a very common "parted" haircut. He wore short-sleeved bright patterned button -up shirts, with (often) a few cameras hung around his neck, and was just snapping away at anything and everything he found interesting to photograph.And most noticeable, was not a single visible tattoo on this guy! I'm not exaggerating one bit in my description, seriously. He was also one of the most innovative and talented tattooists of the day, so for lack of a better "phrase", don't judge a book by its cover! This is how I learned that lesson....his name was Da Wei Zhang, and I still think his work is some of the best realism Ive ever laid eyes on. just my 2cents.

Yeah, Da Wei is here in the Bay Area. I've always wondered if he had any tattoos.

As for his work, it's good--if you're into that sort of thing. I'll defer to Bob Roberts, who says that wildlife realism tattoos are like taxidermy.

Yeah, Da Wei is here in the Bay Area. I've always wondered if he had any tattoos.

As for his work, it's good--if you're into that sort of thing. I'll defer to Bob Roberts, who says that wildlife realism tattoos are like taxidermy.

Yeah a homie of mine went in there and got a pretty cold shoulder, said it wasn't exactly a walk in type of shop.. I see that a lot with the shops around here, the less tattoos the folks at the shop have, the less receptive they seem to be.. Just my two cents though

Yeah a homie of mine went in there and got a pretty cold shoulder, said it wasn't exactly a walk in type of shop.. I see that a lot with the shops around here, the less tattoos the folks at the shop have, the less receptive they seem to be.. Just my two cents though

Ironic, seeing as the tattooer seems to have next to no tattoos himself.

This is certainly just my 2 cents, but for me it would be a personal connection thing. One of my favorite things about getting tattooed is listening to some of the great stories artists have about getting tattooed themselves. There's a camaraderie I feel with other tattooed people that I just don't know I'd feel with someone who isn't very tattooed. This is really all just speculation for me though because I've not found anybody I'm eager to get tattooed by that isn't heavily tattooed.

it's all good, I think it might have to do with them taking it more as a job than a lifestyle.. I mean I hate using that word, but i feel like those folks just come in, put on some gloves and go to work, and when they go home they leave it there.. I know when i was working jobs i didn't have much interest in I was pretty much the same way

• 2 weeks later...

my favorite loose quote on this would be from the Chad Koeplinger T.A.M. interview when he says something along the lines of it almost being a duty to be tattooed all over so you have some idea of what the customer is going through.

i like to get tattooed regularly because it definitely makes me more patient with my customers when they start squealing. jst before i started getting my backpiece done i remember a bloke came into the shop for a tattoo from my then boss. it was a big lower backpiece and he wriggled like hell. i definitely remember thinking like 'for f!ck sake man grow up and stop moving' didn't occur that my boss never commented. any way next week i started on my back and within 10-15 minutes it was like......OH! needless to say i'm a lot more sympathetic to my customers having work on their back now

For me personally, as a collector when I'm thinking about getting work from someone I look at the portfolio, not the person. Whether or not they are tattooed themselves is irrelevant. They either do work I like and want, or they don't.

I do find it curious someone would want to dedicate their life to this craft but not go through the experience so they can know what it's like on the receiving end. But hasn't ever affected my decision either way!

Take care

Energy

For me personally, as a collector when I'm thinking about getting work from someone I look at the portfolio, not the person. Whether or not they are tattooed themselves is irrelevant. They either do work I like and want, or they don't.

Take care

Energy

This is just my opinion but I like tattoos, So as a consumer I will do my best to get tattoos from artists who like tattoos as well.

For myself, i like to be tattooed by people who have tattoos because of the experience of the person (every tattoo has a story behind it) esp if your and old school trooper.. in some ways i guess its a bit of a contradiction to the trade? or a possible lack of respect?..... Either way they still going to doit right...

• 2 weeks later...

i think that a tattoo artist with no tattoos or just a few tattoos is odd and it shows me that maybe they think exposed tattoos are not good for life choices. that being said that doesnt mean they arent good artist, look at jess smith he is a great tattooer if u like his style or not, but i have more trust and connection with an exposed tattoo tattooer. but thats just me. just look at the work they have done and make your own choice. also getting covered with tattoos is awsome!

Tattooers with no tattoos are just Tourist and should be treated as such. They are just looking at the cash and waiting for the next thing to come along.

Agreed. In it for profit and not love of tattooing.

There is a time I wouldn't have cared if a tattooer didn't have much visible work. Now that I am a bit older and tattoos are a much larger part of my life....I don't see it that way. I have a huge amount of respect for the tattooers who love the industry, give back to the industry, and in general are in tattooing because they love it. Anything less than a complete physical commitment I see as kind of a tourist. You need to be visibly tattooed as an artist to have my respect. It is a sign to everyone that you are commited to what you do.

hahaha what a joke.. im an artist. i can take any medium and make it beautiful. because im an artist.. now i also tattoos.. i have tattooed my self on my thighs for practice, and now every one and their mom wants one from me.. i work almost every day. and i dont have visible tattoos..

so what?

are u saying im not an artist?

cuz my clients beg to differ.

hahaha what a joke.. im an artist. i can take any medium and make it beautiful. because im an artist.. now i also tattoos.. i have tattooed my self on my thighs for practice, and now every one and their mom wants one from me.. i work almost every day. and i dont have visible tattoos..

so what?

are u saying im not an artist?

cuz my clients beg to differ.

It sounds like you are building a really nice portfolio for yourself. Please show us pictures. I would love to get something done by you. PM me the pictures and I promise I wont share them with the rest of the board.