General Movie Thread

Tight-Lines

I figured most of us are movie snobs and nerds, so we should have a thread.

First up is the movie "Take Shelter". Its directed by Jeff Nichols (Brother to Ben Nichols of Lucero.) Here is the trailer for your enjoyment. Looks promising, and its a pretty interesting concept.

http://sundance.slated.com/2011/films/takeshelter_sundance2011

Watch it 20 more times.

Than do it drunk 20 more. Did you watch 2.

Haha, maybe that's where I'm going wrong! Yeah I watched them both, which I think was probably the problem. Seemed sort of like style over substance, though I wasn't really trying to take it seriously to begin with. Some parts I loved though, I think it was just perhaps from watching them both during 3AM insomnia boredom, never a good idea to begin with.

Haha, I'm the same with that, especially the turtle scene. I don't even get why I found it so horrible, I'm not even a vegetarian. They should have done it in Australia, and killed a load of kangaroos, I'd have watched that- kangaroos are vicious!

i really love Kill Bill 1 and 2. i feel like every time i watch it, i discover something new.

Thats like me and The Royal Tenenbaums. Every time I watch it, I catch a little bit more. And the life aquatic. There is an Easter Egg in the special features where its just Bill Murray trying different excercises with his Zissou Adidas. All he says is "WOW! These are great"

• 3 weeks later...
I figured most of us are movie snobs and nerds, so we should have a thread.

First up is the movie "Take Shelter". Its directed by Jeff Nichols (Brother to Ben Nichols of Lucero.) Here is the trailer for your enjoyment. Looks promising, and its a pretty interesting concept.

http://sundance.slated.com/2011/films/takeshelter_sundance2011

i tattooed the girl that plays cammie, so that's how i heard about this movie. was super happy to see it go to sundance.

as far as movies go, there's such a long list but there are a few fairly unknown gems that some might enjoy.

the reflecting skin -

the dark backward -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L_pcXuJ384

(bill paxton is truly incredible)

six string samurai -

northfork -

(i like the polish brothers almost as much as david lynch...almost)

Thats like me and The Royal Tenenbaums. Every time I watch it, I catch a little bit more. And the life aquatic. There is an Easter Egg in the special features where its just Bill Murray trying different excercises with his Zissou Adidas. All he says is "WOW! These are great"

i also share the same sentiment about The Royal Tenenbaums. such a wonderful movie.

Given up on going to movies. Impossible. With the talking, and the cell phones, and the talking.. and the talking. Last movie I went to, this woman actually answered her phone. And then when she was done talking, gave it to her kid to play games on.

On that note, I did just go to the midnight showing of JAWS the Friday before the 4th of July. INCREDIBLE MOVIE that still holds up. Fucking amazing!! And funny to boot.

Couldn't agree more Pat. I don't understand how people generally don't seem to understand that you're supposed to shut up in the cinema. Once I went to see some cheesy crappy horror film with a friend, and despite it being an 18 cert. film, I'm pretty sure we were the oldest people there. We didn't even find out what the film was about, and my friend almost got hurt in a fight that ended up taking place next to her seat. We may have got our money back, but we didn't get the afternoon back!

Lesson learned, though: never go to the cinema on a Saturday afternoon, even if you have been busy through the week.

im gonna third the "going to the movies sucks now" idea

i was wondering if people outside of canada know about the movie Fubar cause it's pretty great if you like extremely low budget mockumentaries

best movie i watched lately was Welcome To The Dollhouse

WEINER DOGGGG!!!!!

Given up on going to movies. Impossible. With the talking, and the cell phones, and the talking.. and the talking. Last movie I went to, this woman actually answered her phone. And then when she was done talking, gave it to her kid to play games on.

On that note, I did just go to the midnight showing of JAWS the Friday before the 4th of July. INCREDIBLE MOVIE that still holds up. Fucking amazing!! And funny to boot.

The theater I go to has a little device that you can check out from the box office that's like a remote. It's buttons alert the ushers of projection problems, talking, etc. Someone won't shut up, you click a button, usher comes in and tells them to be quiet.

Me? I have the manager's number in my speed dial. Honest to god.

I take my movie watching experience seriously.

The last show I went to in the Oakland area had a homeless dude on the other side of the street setting up a speaker system... for some reason. Anyway, he looked like Quint from Jaws.

I would love to see that in the theaters. Brilliant movie.

The theater I go to has a little device that you can check out from the box office that's like a remote. It's buttons alert the ushers of projection problems, talking, etc. Someone won't shut up, you click a button, usher comes in and tells them to be quiet.

Me? I have the manager's number in my speed dial. Honest to god.

I take my movie watching experience seriously.

I like your style there. And the remote idea is genius! I shush people and my body immediately goes into adrenaline mode, and I'm sitting there, trying to ignore people and shaking because my body thinks it's time for a confrontation. I'm gonna give myself a heart attack one day.

And D, funny you mention homeless people behind the screen. Last year here in NYC, they found a homeless couple living behind one of the screens at the 34th st. Loews, buckets of poo and all..