Artist Uniforms

ibradley

I guess that would take care of the customers asking "uh, do you work here?" The guys at the shop keep threatening me with a uniform, because they're all rock and I can go pretty hippy or yuppy in regards to clothing. Sometimes I'll come in in a skirt just to mess with them. It's good for laughs. If I walked into a shop where they wore uniforms, I'd probably base my opinion off the artist portfolios, but I would find it odd.

Uniforms, haha yeah, that's exactly why I got into this business. Shit, on the average I dress better that 90% of the dudes I work with (sorry guys but you know its true) I drop a pretty good amount of coin on nice clothing, so much so that I often tattoo in an apron just to keep that shit clean. But guess what? Not often, but sometimes, it's hot out and I just want to wear my Jesus Lizard T-shirt and a pair of cut-off dickies with no socks. ¡Uniformes pal carajo!

Thanks for all the interesting feedback! I understand the whole thing about self-expression, but this place stresses customer service. The easy identification of staff helps the whole process in my opinion. A lot of questions never get asked because we don't know who to ask. I'm not a big name in tattooing by any means, so I'm sure the uniform benefits me.

Of all the considerations I made when I started looking for a new job, dress code really wasn't high on the list.

Ive known artists that worked in suits... kinda seems odd to me to risk splashing ink on a 300$ suit just to give off the impression that your shop is ultra professional....and there is the other problem... its unfortunate to see a holier-than-thou attitude come from wearing a certain vestment ...

There is one shop in town that have kinda labelled themselves as a "calm spa like environment" for their customers, and they all wear hospital scrubs... the general consensus around town is that most of the older clientele appreciate it, but some more "traditional' clientele is alittle put off by it....

To each their own i suppose...

that settles it im making all the guys at the shop dress like they work at in and out burger, white paper hats and all.............................................dude get a new job. for the record i wear a pair of levis or bens red wings and what ever shirt is the first one on the pile, thats how i work best. not really a fashion plate over here..

• 3 months later...

I used to work at a shop that had uniforms. When I started we didn't, but the owner got black Dickies shirts and pants with the shop logo embroidered on them. Even after that it was kind of an optional thing, and we often wore our regular jeans with the shirt. I would have worn it more if I dug the logo more. I almost like the idea, just for the sake of solidarity between employees, and repping their shop. Ironically, I rarely wore the uniform there, but at my current shop we all wear the shop t-shirts a lot. Of course, I do even when I'm not working. They are dope shirts, and the shop is the mad cool. I don't like the idea of wearing hospital scrubs in a tattoo shop, which I've seen a few times.

• 5 months later...

Uniforms? Hell no. At our shop we all know what we're there to do and are actually trusted to dress ourselves. We're professionals. Our shop stresses customer service too...in cleanliness, demeanor and quality. Hell I've walked customers to their cars when they're scared at night...but no, never a uniform. Frankly, I think uniforms set up an us-and-them vibe and a shop is the last place that needs to be

. I'm as likely to wear a Blitz tshirt as a Penguin button down but either way, clean and in good repair and buttoned so it doesn't drag across my tray when reaching for things. Also, our front person acknowledges every client when they walk in, then let's them to it. They know who to talk to.

The Rollo remark is dead on. People cry about how no one takes us seriously but show up stinking in a dumpsterdweller costume. That's not usually "that guy's" only problem. Chances are if you show up to work at our shop looking like your clothes came from a rag bag, we're not going to have a sit-down about your clothes but respect and your approach to work.

I've been to a shop here in Wisconsin where they all wear scrubs. I guess the idea was to "appear" more cleanly. I don't really get it. One of the artists does pretty good work that's why I went there, not because of the scrubs.

This sounds like a shop owned by a non tattooer.

I now work in a shop where the staff all wear uniforms... Not like a Taco Bell uniform or anything, but a shop t-shirt, black shorts and black shoes. Not bad really, but this is the first time, I've worked at a place with a uniform policy.

Has anyone ever been to a place like this? Whether or not you have, what are your thoughts on uniforms in a studio environment?

a uniform? wow, sounds like you work for some lame ass non-tattooer. dress codes? seriously, who has a damn dress code that extends beyond reasonably clean clothing and socially acceptable standards of person hygiene? im just a bitter old man i guess cause this sounds like something that an owner should be run out of the industry for trying