Join Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum Today
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Jojo Ackermann: Fear of a Flash Planet- "Advice on my first tattoo" READ THIS

Kev
    Champion Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Images

Jojo Ackermann: Fear of a Flash Planet- "Advice on my first tattoo" READ THIS

Great post the TAM Blog:
    Jojo Ackermann: Fear of a Flash Planet

Images

Re: Jojo Ackermann: Fear of a Flash Planet- "Advice on my first tattoo" READ THIS

when people say that they don't want flash because they want something different, i've said.."then you probably want flash, because no one ever gets it"

i won't digress into a long bunch of stories about the same 5 google images being what everyone asks for either.

- - - Updated - - -

when people say that they don't want flash because they want something different, i've said.."then you probably want flash, because no one ever gets it"

i won't digress into a long bunch of stories about the same 5 google images being what everyone asks for either.

Images

Re: Jojo Ackermann: Fear of a Flash Planet- "Advice on my first tattoo" READ THIS

I like flash. Some of my first tattoos were straight off the wall and I liked what I saw and I KNEW what I was getting. It gives people ideas, something they can visualize and maybe ask about a variation that better suits them. Flash was the hook for many of us years back, just looked so cool the way the panels were displayed.

CG
    There is more way to skin a cat, but most will make you puke...

Chicago native, now a refugee on the Wis / Ill Stateline
    Images

Good, solid flash is often timeless. Sailor Jerry, Cliff Raven, Spider Webb, Tatts Thomas, just to toss a few names out. I think there is a place for flash and for custom work, and often, they intersect nicely.
    Old enough to know better, still young enough to try.

The two largest pieces on my arm, on my forearms actually, are Sailor Jerry flash. It's history. I eat that shit up.

Moderator Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Images

I'd also like to add that JoJo Ackerman is an absolutely unbelievable tattooer.

Blog Entries

Three of my five tattoos are flash. Two Amund Dietzel pieces and one Sailor Jerry piece. I love them.

I have an Amund Dietzel piece too! I will never get over his drawings; so beautiful.

It bums me out that people dismiss flash, especially as the same people are usually hung up on getting really "meaningful" tattoos; to me, it is pretty damn meaningful to get something classic that connects me to dozens/hundreds/thousands of other people from different generations, backgrounds, walks of life, etc. A few months ago, my husband got a piece of old flash from an old timer here in Montreal, and when he was done, he told us that he was pretty sure this was the second time he'd ever done this design, and the first time was in 1968 (if I'm remembering correctly), but he did the colours differently. How cool is that?

(That said, I also remember drinking the "custom only" koolaid in the 90s, and I think what is being described in that article is mostly just folks who don't know any better repeating what they've heard they should want. The "no flash" thing is really unthinking. I think that's a great blog post and awesome of him to have had this great dialogue with the customers in question and helped them seen the appeal of flash and really changed their minds about it.)

Images

I can't remember the last tattoo I got that wasn't someone's flash. I have the privilege of working in a shop covered in hand painted flash and always get first dibs on the new sheets before they go up, but often times I still find myself drawn to stuff that has been up on the wall for years and dozens of people have got them.

People don't understand that all the stuff on the wall started with illustration board and watercolor right there in the shop, they just assume we bought it out of a magazine so they have no problem saying they don't want something off the wall, but we work hard to train people to get better tattoos, and many people have been converted even though it is continually an uphill battle.

Champion

quality read. i knew a girl that when her that I have tattoos that I picked off of a wall, her response was, “ew. I’d never do that. I want all mine to be custom.” This coming from a broad that has a giant crawling panther on her back.

The best analogy I can give when describing people not understanding tattoos and flash is with music. Most people don’t even know what the fuck good music is. they think the top 40 hits on the radio qualifies as good music. How can some ignoramus be expected to understand flash when they’re so willing to be spoon fed everything and not try to figure shit out for themselves. Sadly, even my friends that are into punk, hardcore and indie still aren’t down with getting flash tattooed on them. It’s a total bummer.

Either way, that was a very good article. Thanks for posting it.

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Support LST!