Join Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum Today
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: Long Term Tattoo care

Long Term Tattoo care

I looked through the after care threads and didn't see any about long term care.

My oldest piece isn't much more than a year old and I still hit it with a little auqaphor during the course of healing the others.

When I told my artist this he kind of chuckled and said something like that'll keep'm moist and didn't advise for or against it.

So my question is, is this good? Bad? Make zero difference over the life of the tattoo? I ask because my tattoos are pretty vivid or sharp IMO and I'd like them to stay that way for as long and as much as possible. I mean I get it they fade a bit over time etc but they cost hard earned money and if there's a way to ensure they stay vivid I'd like to know also if I'm just being a NewB I'd like to know
    DISCE PATI
    'Oh Discordia'

Also I know lotion, Tattoo Goo etc will make them look fresh when applied, but what I'm driving at is there a way to keep them this way w/o using lotion a lot.
    DISCE PATI
    'Oh Discordia'

Images

Re: Long Term Tattoo care

Long sleeve shirts.

Hero Site Supporter CultExciter's Avatar

^ this.

Tattoos age, just like we do.
    Likes irezumi, slayer9019, BrianH, Graeme liked this.

Quote Originally Posted by hogg View Post
    Not to sound like an old guy, but there used to be rules to this shit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
    I looked through the after care threads and didn't see any about long term care.

My oldest piece isn't much more than a year old and I still hit it with a little auqaphor during the course of healing the others.

When I told my artist this he kind of chuckled and said something like that'll keep'm moist and didn't advise for or against it.

So my question is, is this good? Bad? Make zero difference over the life of the tattoo? I ask because my tattoos are pretty vivid or sharp IMO and I'd like them to stay that way for as long and as much as possible. I mean I get it they fade a bit over time etc but they cost hard earned money and if there's a way to ensure they stay vivid I'd like to know also if I'm just being a NewB I'd like to know

keep it out of the sun like was said and if long sleeves are not an option ,then use sun block like SPF 50 as a everyday thing.

Images

Sun is your enemy, like everyone stated above. Thank god I have not done my forearms yet, so tshirts are still my thing. Putting lotion on them now is fine, and it will make them look more "fresh" but not doing anything really.
    Likes BrianH liked this.

"The ass tattoo: a deep and searing pain that lasts for days, a memory that lasts a lifetime." - Hogg
    If your new here, READ THIS!
    Is your tattoo infected and aftercare FAQ
    If you have questions please PM a moderator.

Images

Also btw if its less than a year old it will be a long long time before it begins to break down if it was done well.
    Applying lotion or sunblock every day several times a day is pretty tedious, esp if this is a life long plan to keep them looking 'new' or fresh or whatever. That will get old real fast. The sun is really the biggest problem. A well applied tattoo can be vivid for a very long time if it doesn't see much sun.

I might also want to just give my opinion that a tattoo that has 'settled' into the skin looks better. That means it won't look brand new anymore but it looks a little more natural for lack of a better word, particularly with ink made without synthetic binders.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by irezumi View Post
    I might also want to just give my opinion that a tattoo that has 'settled' into the skin looks better. That means it won't look brand new anymore but it looks a little more natural for lack of a better word, particularly with ink made without synthetic binders.
    ^ This. While my tattoos definitely look "different" after they settled, they look much more natural (and better in my opinion).
    Likes BrianH, Graeme liked this.

"The ass tattoo: a deep and searing pain that lasts for days, a memory that lasts a lifetime." - Hogg
    If your new here, READ THIS!
    Is your tattoo infected and aftercare FAQ
    If you have questions please PM a moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by irezumi View Post
    Also btw if its less than a year old it will be a long long time before it begins to break down if it was done well.
    Applying lotion or sunblock every day several times a day is pretty tedious, esp if this is a life long plan to keep them looking 'new' or fresh or whatever. That will get old real fast. The sun is really the biggest problem. A well applied tattoo can be vivid for a very long time if it doesn't see much sun.

I definitely agree!!! Kind of like broken in shoes or pants are just more natural and comfortable agree 100%

As far as sunblock goes, melanoma skin cancer killed my grandfather(Sailor and Merchant Marine during WWII) and my pop and I both have sun sensitive skin, he's already had several small skin cancers removed, so SPF 50 is already a part of my life, just not my daily routine..

Thanks for the quick replies everyone! Like I said I just wanna make sure I take care of them properly is all.
    DISCE PATI
    'Oh Discordia'

Champion Contest Winner HaydenRose's Avatar
    Images

I have a tattoo on my ribs that is about 5-6 years old. Whenever I go swimming, etc. in the summer I have always put 50+ SPF on it. It still looks like it did after it completely healed the first year, not even exaggerating. So yeah, moral of the story: use sunscreen... forever.
    Likes slayer9019, Fala, KBeee liked this.

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Support LST!