Join Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum Today
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast
Like Tree340Likes

Thread: Knee Tattoooo

Images

Re: Knee Tattoooo

Quote Originally Posted by RoryQ View Post
    I have been revisiting knee tattoos lately and thinking about designs.

I've seen some cool spiderweb designs from Stewart Robson (with a spider at the centre) and from Nick Colella which made me search for more. One design that seems to crop up in a few cases is a spider web with a nautical star of some sort. As something I have always liked the idea of for a knee tattoo is a compass star I was curious where the combination of spider web with star comes from - anyone know? Random combination or is there a story behind it...
    A nautical star has so many straight lines, my first thought inclination would say not a very good idea for a knee tattoo, but I honestly am not familiar with the designs you are talking about so maybe i'm thinking of something different. What site(s) are you seeing them on?

Images

I think we're thinking of the same thing - I've heard them called compass stars, nautical stars etc. (with five or eight points) but I'm not sure that's the right term. To my eye they look not dissimilar to the stars the Russian mob seem to get on their knees? As far as incorporating them with a spider web googling seemed to throw up a few to me but now that I look for one done by a reputable artist I'm struggling. I was just curious because it does seem like a combo that's out there.

As far as the potential difficulty with lines on a compass on a knee go - you could well be right, if things like cat heads and more classic spider web designs crop up again and again there is probably a reason- thanks!

Blog Entries
    Images

@RoryQ Check out Tim Hendricks blog ,Saltwater Tattoo theres a great red and black compass design.
    RoryQ likes this.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RoryQ View Post
    I think we're thinking of the same thing - I've heard them called compass stars, nautical stars etc. (with five or eight points) but I'm not sure that's the right term. To my eye they look not dissimilar to the stars the Russian mob seem to get on their knees? As far as incorporating them with a spider web googling seemed to throw up a few to me but now that I look for one done by a reputable artist I'm struggling. I was just curious because it does seem like a combo that's out there.

As far as the potential difficulty with lines on a compass on a knee go - you could well be right, if things like cat heads and more classic spider web designs crop up again and again there is probably a reason- thanks!
    I have a five point nautical star on my chest, (one of my early tattoos), I would much rather have a spider with a web around it or a nice cat head in that spot. I have both knee caps available, on one I know I am going to do a tibetan skull, I have a pretty simplified design that should work well and has been drawn to fit the space I have left, now just getting up the balls to do it.
    RoryQ likes this.

Images

Currently healing a sun and moon pair of knees from Trevor Taylor at Liberty Tattoo in Seattle... based on some Bert Grimm flash (his idea).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knee Tattoooo-knees.jpg  

Blog Entries

I know stars or nautical ones on the knee are Russian prison inspired, I'd personally stay away from that. Webs are ok, and give the nice round design to fill it in. Any type of animal head works.
    Mush likes this.

Contributor Contest Winner AlannaCA's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Images

are there any other places i can look for pictures on what i can do for my knee? i feel so stumped. flowers keep coming to mind as a cool subject matter but i can t visualize what flowers would look like. one girl i work with got an oyster with a pearl on her knee and it looks so cool! i dont know how i feel about animal heads right now, to me it just doesn't seem to feel like it fits for me! i have 7 months before my appt. so i can keep brainstorming!
    find me on twitter(cake_mistress) or
    facebook (facebook.com/alanna.alves)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by s33ktruth View Post
    I know stars or nautical ones on the knee are Russian prison inspired, I'd personally stay away from that. Webs are ok, and give the nice round design to fill it in. Any type of animal head works.
    Yea I think I remember something about this as well.

RUSSIAN CRIMINAL TATTOO ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Amazon.com: Russian Criminal Tattoo Encyclopaedia (9783882439205): Danzig Baldaev, Sergei Vasiliev, Alexei Plutser-Sarno: Books

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlannaCA View Post
    are there any other places i can look for pictures on what i can do for my knee? i feel so stumped. flowers keep coming to mind as a cool subject matter but i can t visualize what flowers would look like. one girl i work with got an oyster with a pearl on her knee and it looks so cool! i dont know how i feel about animal heads right now, to me it just doesn't seem to feel like it fits for me! i have 7 months before my appt. so i can keep brainstorming!
    7 months is a long time to think of something to get. just keep researching and i'm sure you'll find something. Ask your artist for some ideas of what they'd like to put on knees. Something just might click.

Images

here's my one knee cap.. hoping to get the other one done here soon.. by brandon montero

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast

Support LST!