Join Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum Today
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Tattoo silhouette and negative space

Ex-Lurker

Re: Tattoo silhouette and negative space

Hmm interesting thread. I always thought the more the better personally but I understand your what you mean.

Kev
    Champion Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Images

I hope to be old enough to be this guy, but notice his arms vs. his less filled spaces and the things you can make out.

I know none of this lasts, but I want to look great for as long as possible.

"Line bold, Leave Space, Have a Beautiful Corpse" ; )

Moderator Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Images

Found another one...

Moderator Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iwar View Post
    Found another one...

Saw this on FB, thought, "Oh man, that's one of THE LEGS!" Then thought of LST and about posting it. Then thought, "Eh, I bet Iwar will post it." YOU'RE PREDICTABLE IWAR
    Iwar and Gregor like this.

Moderator Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gougetheeyes View Post
    Saw this on FB, thought, "Oh man, that's one of THE LEGS!" Then thought of LST and about posting it. Then thought, "Eh, I bet Iwar will post it." YOU'RE PREDICTABLE IWAR
    Haha! I guess I am.

I bet that dude is going to be a little creeped out if he finds this thread and see so many people obsessing over his legs.

Images

new cripwell leg sleeve

Hey Folks:

I am starting a leg sleeve (s) with Stuart Cripwell. I am getting tattoo about once about every other week and you can see what we have done so far below. For the first few pieces, I just picked stuff I liked and had it tattooed in spots I thought would fit my body well. Now, I still pick out the piece but Stuart outlines the negative space [ex: the empty slot of skin between two tattoos] on tracing paper. He then draws the piece, adding and taking away, so that it fits in the outline.

Best, Dellwood

P.S. I am in the market for good set of kneecap tattoos ideas. I know there is a thread on this but was hoping for some more suggestions taking into consideration negative space, traditional style tattoos. I have been looking at Spider Webb's books of traditional American body suits and the knees are always hard to make out. From what I can see, though, it seems like suns, nautical stars/hexes, spider webs, and elephant heads were pretty common.

Kev
    Champion Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Images

I thought this belonged here as a great example of negative space. I also like how one arm has the star and dot filler vs. the other non filled. I think the non-filled arm is much stronger:

Ex-Lurker
    Images

I love this picture above, its a perfect example for this conversation. Not only does the arm with no filer look stronger now but you can tell that the negative space is going to give those tattoos room to grow over time and not blur right into each other. I will be using this photo as an example to future clients who want smaller traditional pieces on why background isn't necessarily needed to make a sleeve look complete and finished. And that stomach piece is insane, so simple and so strong, love it!

Kev
    Champion Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Images

I wish I knew the OG source, but from what I could find, the pic was taken at the Philly Tattoo Convention

Hero Site Supporter CultExciter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Tijerina View Post
    I wish I knew the OG source, but from what I could find, the pic was taken at the Philly Tattoo Convention
    I think that might be the Smith Street shop kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by gougetheeyes View Post
    People are wrong.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast

Support LST!