Join Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum Today
Page 38 of 119 FirstFirst ... 283435363738 394041424888 ... LastLast

Thread: Ink Masters

Images

Re: Ink Masters

Quote Originally Posted by David Flores View Post
    I caught the first episode of Best Ink as well and yeah it's the same show. I don't know about better artists , but I didn't see anyone of B tat or Al Fliction caliber so to some degree I would agree. Who is that girl that hosts that show,with the horrible lettering tattoo on her shoulder?
    That presenter is one of the most annoying persons I have ever seen on telly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    That presenter is one of the most annoying persons I have ever seen on telly.
    What do you mean? She said she's all business in the front and a party in the back. Does that mean she's a prostitute, but does anal for fun???

I HATE twits.

I think Joey C is actually going to be a good judge. He seems to know his stuff. But until these shows have someone like Jeff Gogue on them, then there aint no way any of them are among the "Top Ten Artists in the Country"

I remember when I was doing my first tattoos early in my apprenticeship, Joe was looking over my shoulder. He and my mentor are friends. I can say this -- he's definitely a competent and vocal judge of tattoos and the people doing them. He knows his stuff in an objective sense.
    I am bummed to see him tied to this show. I personally find it unwatchable but they've obviously chosen people based on their appeal to the reality/drama crowd.
    They all say the same thing..."I've been tattooing for 2 years, it just kinda fell into my lap." right, so you've been tattooing since it blew up and someone with more love for money than tattooing gave you an "apprenticeship". If you've been tattooing for 2 years, stop chasing a camera and do the job. There's a toilet that needs to be cleaned, a floor to be vacuumed and those roses and finger waves aren't going to draw themselves. Perfect your craft. These people don't give a shit about being *good* at tattooing, they want to be *known* for tattooing. Best...pssh.

Images

I wanna see the tattoo reality show where the contestants tattoo the judges. Now THAT would be a good one. I bet all these solid well known tatbros wouldn't be involved if that were the case.

Quote Originally Posted by David Flores View Post
    Oliver does make a point about Navarro. I mean for example Joe Rogan getting a sleeve by one guy is essentially getting one tattoo. Basically your scope of knowledge about tattooing would be limited to the one shop and one tattooer who tattooed you. Even if Navarro's tattoo design choices aren't in line with what I would get, spending 20 years getting tattooed by guys like Roberts, Negrete, and Mahoney among others makes a solid case for being a non tattooer judge.
    On the other hand, getting a bunch of tiny, solid black tattoos with zero background tying any of them together (all I can see on Navarro. I still don't get who gets a simple set of the four logos of the suites in cards, but doesn't even make the red ones red, but to each his own) doesn't make you particularly more qualified to judge things like how it flows on body parts, use of colour, shading, blending, contrast, how to work a 5 hour long session, etc..., all things the guy with the full sleeve may be more in tune with, maybe. I do agree that being exposed to so many top tattooers probably helps, specially if you pay attention to what else is going on in their shop when you're there.

Let's be honest, the "celebrity judge" is just there to get a name tied to the show that people who aren't involved in/know anything about tattooing know about. Best Ink has some girl I've never heard of who claims she is "business in the front, party in the back" when she turned around and showed two small pieces (one all lettering) on her shoulders. I suspect executives know who she is, and they are the ones who think that'll bring more viewers. I'm sure most of us would much rather see Paul Booth host, but we are probably less than 1% of their target demographics.
    Likes David Flores liked this.

Phil
    Ink gallery

Blog Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    . Best Ink has some girl I've never heard of who claims she is "business in the front, party in the back" when she turned around and showed two small pieces (one all lettering) on her shoulders. I suspect executives know who she is, and they are the ones who think that'll bring more viewers. I'm sure most of us would much rather see Paul Booth host, but we are probably less than 1% of their target demographics.
    I recall an interview with Ed Hardy when he described himself as "Stock standard on the outside ,but stripped down under-neath the bonnet ,like a hot-rod "

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    On the other hand, getting a bunch of tiny, solid black tattoos with zero background tying any of them together (all I can see on Navarro. I still don't get who gets a simple set of the four logos of the suites in cards, but doesn't even make the red ones red, but to each his own) doesn't make you particularly more qualified to judge things like how it flows on body parts, use of colour, shading, blending, contrast, how to work a 5 hour long session, etc..., all things the guy with the full sleeve may be more in tune with, maybe. I do agree that being exposed to so many top tattooers probably helps, specially if you pay attention to what else is going on in their shop when you're there.

Let's be honest, the "celebrity judge" is just there to get a name tied to the show that people who aren't involved in/know anything about tattooing know about. Best Ink has some girl I've never heard of who claims she is "business in the front, party in the back" when she turned around and showed two small pieces (one all lettering) on her shoulders. I suspect executives know who she is, and they are the ones who think that'll bring more viewers. I'm sure most of us would much rather see Paul Booth host, but we are probably less than 1% of their target demographics.
    Good Points. Celebrity host is just so viewers have a familiar face, since most people without tattoos don't follow careers of tattooers. I guess as far as judging I guess it just depends on the person. Even people that get tattooed by good people don't necessarily know anything about tattooing, some people just get lucky or are famous enough to fall into the right shop.

Personally I think they would be better off bringing back Tattoo Wars. It was a more even playing field and seemed to attract better tattooers and it's always in the particular tattooers style so it sets the clients up to get better work. Either that or make a show called Scratchers and use the theme music from COPS.
    Likes Gregor, Duffa, Sailor Kimy liked this.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
    What do you mean? She said she's all business in the front and a party in the back. Does that mean she's a prostitute, but does anal for fun???

I HATE twits.
    A prostitute who does anal for fun....

You didn't happen to get her number, did you?
    Likes Duffa liked this.

Occult Vibrations Tattoo Blog | http://occultvibrations.com
    "We’re conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments. But great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one." | " I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not a crusader for acceptance. Actually, I'm all for elitism..." -SR

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnPorter View Post
    A prostitute who does anal for fun....

You didn't happen to get her number, did you?
    I got her number the minute I saw her plastic face.
    Likes CultExciter liked this.

Support LST!