Calbee, thanks for sharing the link to Arianna Settembrino. Her tattoos are so "vibrant" if vibrant can ever be used to describe a tattoo? I tried to send a friend request via the FB but it says she has too many so if you know her invite her over here to join us at LST.

Julio, fair enough. I can respect that. You coming out for the convention next month?

Lochlan, i fucking wish!!!!!!!!!!! i know if i went out for the convention and worked, id be busy the entire weekend. buuuuuut it wouldnt offset the money id spend going out there (booth, lodging, eating yadda yadda yadda). so i will not be going out this year again. which sucks. i loooove that show!!!!!!!!!!! the parties after are always great. good people doing the convention and behind the convention. Taki's a good friend and a good gent.

gotta stay here and work. just bought this house aaaaaaaaaand got another lil bean on the way. yup you heard it first!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I have saved my whole front torso for Jeff Zuck and my back from my neck to back of knees for Rudy Fritsch. Both are going to be travel heavy on me. It's worth it, and will make for great stories.

That's awesome. Good choices.

I have my chest saved for Steve Byrne, and the right side of my ribs for Aaron Coleman. Neither of them are close to Boston. Haha.

That's awesome Dari! How many hours are you at now?

Thanks lady! That pic was after about 4 hours, got another 7 done, so it looks pretty done to me. Jondix, on the other hand, says we have "so much work to do." It's such a bummer that we'll have to head over to Barcelona to get it done....

Thanks lady! That pic was after about 4 hours, got another 7 done, so it looks pretty done to me. Jondix, on the other hand, says we have "so much work to do." It's such a bummer that we'll have to head over to Barcelona to get it done....

real bummer. who wants to go to Barcelona anyways? it's not like there's amazing food, art, or culture in spain...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey All,

I've been considering going "out of town" for a Tattoo that would cover my upper arm (roughly shoulder to elbow). Approx. 1 1/2 hr. drive from my hood.

I'm curious as to what experiences any of you have with doing this? Mainly in working out the design, having the artist see the size/shape of the area to be tattooed...etc. since it is a little far to drop by the shop for multiple visits.

Hey All,

I've been considering going "out of town" for a Tattoo that would cover my upper arm (roughly shoulder to elbow). Approx. 1 1/2 hr. drive from my hood.

I'm curious as to what experiences any of you have with doing this? Mainly in working out the design, having the artist see the size/shape of the area to be tattooed...etc. since it is a little far to drop by the shop for multiple visits.

It's not an ideal situation although honestly 1 1/2 hrs from your "hood" isn't that far. If you've located a shop and an artist who you feel would accomplish what you want, hopefully you and the artist can wotk together by phone and email. You should be able to email size and design expectations and reference pictures to the artist and then maybe set up time for a consultation if needed. You can even email pictures of where on your body you're getting the piece if the artist thinks it would help.

Hey All,

How could tattoos and traveling not be a fun and good idea? Alright before Dcostello or one of the other LST comedians step in I can see potential for it not being fun and a good idea (gotta watch myself with you comedians). Anywho, do it if you really want a tattoo from the tattooer. Also maybe try some of the towns suggested local foods and share it with us. This sounds like the perfect future LST post (Food, Travel, & Tattoos) or even better BLOG!!! Ask the tattooer how they find it best for them to communicate about size, references, etc with distance in mind and follow their lead. Shit some days it can take one n half hours from Oakland to SF or vise versa but don't let it stop you! Look forward to the tattoo stories and pictures..........

Mainly in working out the design, having the artist see the size/shape of the area to be tattooed...etc. since it is a little far to drop by the shop for multiple visits.

As far as "multiple visits" go, you should never need to have more than one consultation for a tattoo. You can go in one time with all of your reference in hand, you discuss your ideas, and they trace the area on your body. You only need to return on the big day. The drawing will be done and ready for you, any last minute revisions can be done then.

If you can't go visit beforehand at all, I'd suggest sending your reference images by mail, as not every tattooer is consistent about checking their email, and most don't prefer it as a way to receive reference material. You could have a friend trace the area of your body on a big piece of paper if need be, and then the artist would know the exact size and shape of the area. It also might be a better idea to have your ideas written down on a tangible piece of paper for handy reference, when they sit down to draw its at the drawing table, not in front of the computer.

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably as good a place as any to introduce myself. So, hey everybody, my name is Nick. I'm a collector from Traverse City, a small town in northern Michigan. We're fortunate to have had a great shop open up here this past summer (Front Street Tattoo), where I've been tattooed by Mike Emmett, Jon Larson, Frank William, and Timm Talcott. This year I'm hoping to travel a lot more and pick up some awesome work from around the state and country. My goal for 2011 is to travel and get tattooed by:

Jeff Zuck

AP Shrewbury

Jen Munford

Mike Adams

Nick Colella

Mario Desa

Ron Henry Wells

Robert Ryan

John Poverty

And if Deno Jr. or Sam Ricketts guest anywhere in the states this year, I'll be on the first train there. I'm also planning on getting some work from Dawn Cooke and Bill Falsetta sometime this year when they're up here in Traverse City.