Book thread

Kev

[ATTACH]10387[/ATTACH]

Love these yellow gollancz editions.

I found this little gem a while back. http://www.amazon.ca/Mail-Order-Mysteries-Real-Stuff-Comic/dp/160887026X

For anyone who grew up on American comic books in the 70s, this book is a lot of fun. The author collected many of the items advertised in the back of the book and revealed what they are actually like. (X-Ray Specs, Grit Newspapers, Spy-pens, and much, much more.) Its a fun trip down memory lane, and deeply satisfying to know what these things actually turned out to be.

The author is Kirk Demarais, and the afterward is written by Jesse Thorn, for those of you who are Maximum Fun listeners.

I <3 the peek of tattoo in each of those book pics. :)

[ATTACH]10387[/ATTACH]

Love these yellow gollancz editions.

Oh I loved this book, have you read the sequel The Wise Man's Fear yet?

My latest guilty pleasure is the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher. Wizards, faerie, vampires and all sorts of magic and spooky things. Great world to escape into.

I get through about 3 books a month, so I'll def be keeping an eye on this thread.

@Breakme

Haven't read the sequel, just starting this one actually.

I bought it a while back but was a bit disenchanted with new fantasy so put it on the back burner.

Joe Abercrombie and Richard Morgan got me back into it to some extent, so I cracked this one open.

So far it's living up to the hype. Beautifully written.

I don't know what the UK/Irish editions of those books look like but the North American DAW covers are soulless photoshopped abominations. I hate that shit. More fantasy illustration please, like how it used to be.

They're quite pretty 51LUXWd6KOL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg

They look lovely on the book shelf, they prop up the Shaun Tan's nicely. Shame about the gap waiting to be filled with #3...

Based on this thread I recently read The Name of Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. Very enjoyable reads and am looking forward to the 3rd book. In the meantime I started reading American Gods (also because of this thread).

American Gods is one of my all time favorites. I read it once a year, and I also regularly listen to the book on tape - it's a really well done book/tape. <3 Neil Gaiman. Lucky you, getting to it for the first time!

I always get crap for one of my favourite books, Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged'. People tend to think that just because I love that book, that it means I am pro-capitalist and an objectivist.

I'm reading 'Rapture', derived from the first Bioshock game at the moment.

Afraid to say this while I appear to be in the company of Gaiman-lovers, but his books have never really knocked my socks off... I think he's a solid writer, but not prolific, which may be personal preference, but I rate that high on my literary needs. I enjoyed The Ocean at the End of the Lane, but I think it is a clear example of how his ideas are so creative, but not fleshed out enough. They always feel like hollow shells of stories after I finish them. Again, maybe it's just my personal taste.

Then again... I have not read American Gods, which every one speaks so highly of.

I always get crap for one of my favourite books' date=' Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged'. People tend to think that just because I love that book, that it means I am pro-capitalist and an objectivist. I'm reading 'Rapture', derived from the first Bioshock game at the moment.[/quote']

It's a great book with some hot sex scenes, ahahah! But really, I enjoyed it thoroughly when I read it as a teenager. I wonder how I would respond now?

It's a great book with some hot sex scenes, ahahah! But really, I enjoyed it thoroughly when I read it as a teenager. I wonder how I would respond now?

I enjoyed this too as a youth but only because of Rush :)

Hope the american gods tv series lives up to the hype. I like Anansi boys better :)

2nd issue of the Sandman prequel just came out , looking forward to that

• 2 weeks later...

Reading Gaiman's 'The ocean at the end of the lane'.

So far I'm not liking it as much as other Gaiman novels I've read ('American Gods', 'Anansi Boys', 'Stardust') or the short story collections if I'm honest.

That disturbs me somewhat, because I want to like it.

The narrator is a 7 year old boy, but even taking into account his age he's so annoying that I'd like to see him drowned in a sack, frankly speaking.

Got some interesting stuff queued up next.

I bought good condition second hand copies of Dan Simmons' Hyperion and Endymion series to re-read. Curious if they are as awesome as I remember them being.

Right now I'm reading Teju Cole's Open City. I can't remember the last time I read a book that made me want to slap the author in the balls and tell him to get over himself this badly. I would have probably loved this book when I was in my early 20s and was a total dickhead.

I wanted to read the third Malazan Book of the Fallen novel instead of this but my beloved dog decided that her new habit is to eat books and that book was a casualty. I tried to feed her Open City but she only nibbled the corner of it and left the rest of the book readable. Curses!

This year I seem to have more students who constantly have their nose in a book than ever before. And ironically enough, for an English teacher, I'm not at all well read when it comes to YA literature. So, on the recommendations of my seventh grade students, I read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. It was definitely kinda sappy and young adult-y, but all in all it was ok. Next I read Divergent, which I pretty much hated. Haha. Maybe the movie that just came out is good, but the book is not. I think next I'm going to check out The Maze Runner. Kids are really into that right now, too.

This year I seem to have more students who constantly have their nose in a book than ever before. And ironically enough, for an English teacher, I'm not at all well read when it comes to YA literature. So, on the recommendations of my seventh grade students, I read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. It was definitely kinda sappy and young adult-y, but all in all it was ok. Next I read Divergent, which I pretty much hated. Haha. Maybe the movie that just came out is good, but the book is not. I think next I'm going to check out The Maze Runner. Kids are really into that right now, too.

I tried to read Divergent, and gave up after the first chapter. However, I did see the movie. It was definitely geared towards teens, but it also had some grit to it. I enjoyed the story, and I would say it's worth seeing. TFIOS I thought was great. I always enjoy barreling through John Green books when I have a lazy weekend.. they are easy reads, but the prose is still stimulating enough to pique my interest throughout.

Yeah @HaydenRose, I didn't think the story of Divergent was terrible, but the way it was written definitely bad. I kinda bummed out my kids when they asked me if I wanted to borrow the second one. Haha.

I'm curious to check out some of the other Green books. A bunch of kids are now reading another one of his (something about Katherines?), so I may check that out.

Yeah @HaydenRose, I didn't think the story of Divergent was terrible, but the way it was written definitely way. I kinda bummed out my kids when they asked me if I wanted to borrow the second one. Haha.

I'm curious to check out some of the other Green books. A bunch of kids are now reading another one of his (something about Katherines?), so I may check that out.

The one I read recently was Looking For Alaska. It was great!

@Graeme I kind of want to read Open City after reading some of the quotes on Tumblr. I'm in my early twenties, as you referenced. Save me from myself! HAHA!

Read it and make up your own mind, maybe you'll love it. There are some good moments in it, and Cole writes well, and is intelligent and perceptive, but overall, I feel that it's basically a fantasy novel but instead of it taking place in a cool make-believe world where wizards are real, it's a make-believe world where people have casual conversation with strangers they've just met about the philosophy of Gilles Deleuze. Like I said, if I'd read this book when I was in my early 20s and thought that people talking about ideas was the greatest thing ever, maybe my opinions on it would be different.

Jumping on the YA thread here, another buzzed-about book that I liked lately (actually more than TFIOS, which is kinda hard to totally divorce from the hype around it) was "Eleanor and Park" by Rainbow Rowell. It's wish fulfillment, but deliciously so. Outsiders-falling-in-love books for teens annoy me sometimes, because I think they can peddle a sort of false comfort that ultimately makes you feel shittier about yourself, but this one was better.

For young adult dystopia, the Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness is cool and isn't a Hunger Games ripoff. Also "Graceling" by Kristin Cashore, which is more fantasy/romance.