Book thread

Kev

I have been reading a fair bit of Thomas Ligotti lately. I read Songs of a Dead Dreamer and I'll probably finish Noctuary tonight. I wouldn't mind rereading Teatro Grottesco sometime soon, but that is a lot of darkness in a short period of time so maybe I'll give it a bit of a break. Ligotti is amazing though, he's this contemporary horror writer who writes supernatural horror maybe not so far off from Lovecraft in the sense that his stories often feature some kind of malevolent evil beyond human comprehension and understanding, though the evil is a lot more vague and nebulous that it is in Lovecraft's universe. Sometimes his stories are just weird. I highly recommend him to people into that kind of thing.

I highly recommend Warren Ellis' "Gun Machine" It was a good, creepy, page turner. Gun Machine: Warren Ellis: 9780316187404: Amazon.com: Books

I've been on a crime fiction tear over the last few years, plowing through police procedurals. Ian Rankin's John Rebus series is great and I've recently discovered Duane Swiercznski's "Hell and Gone."

I highly recommend Warren Ellis' "Gun Machine" It was a good, creepy, page turner. Gun Machine: Warren Ellis: 9780316187404: Amazon.com: Books

I've been on a crime fiction tear over the last few years, plowing through police procedurals. Ian Rankin's John Rebus series is great and I've recently discovered Duane Swiercznski's "Hell and Gone."

I know Warren Ellis through his comics, I didn't know he wrote novels though. I'll keep that book in mind, but I'll probably hold off on it for a while given that the subject of the book is probably a little too close to my day-to-day at the moment for it to be much of an escape.

Loved the Mayfair Witches-read it many years ago, one of those series you just don't want to put down, or to end.

Aaaand that is one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes! I remember watching it when I was young and wanting to cry/laugh/scream all at the same time over how awful that would be.

Mom dropped off Dr. Sleep yesterday but I've not started it yet.

I did finish a really good one called Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. About a man who is very active/rich and is in an accident and ends up a quadriplegic, wanting to go to the assisted suicide place, and the woman who is hired to help take care of him. It made me cry my eyes out. Worth the read for sure.

Haven't finished a book in quite some time now but the last one I read was John Dies at the End by David Wong. It's a horror/comedy that's way out there but friggin awesome. I don't think I've ever laughed out loud so much from just reading a book.

Saw a movie,wasn't much..Should try the book.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Saw a movie,wasn't much..Should try the book.

I should have mentioned that the movie doesn't do the book any justice what so ever. A lot of stuff got cut out in order to make the movie the length it was and they also couldn't film some of the stuff that was in the book to keep it an R rating.

I should have mentioned that the movie doesn't do the book any justice what so ever. A lot of stuff got cut out in order to make the movie the length it was and they also couldn't film some of the stuff that was in the book to keep it an R rating.

Thought as much ;)

If you like 'among the thugs', 'the football factory' by John King is worth a look.

I used to have to cover the odd match for our national league. Provincial stuff compared to the UK but still idiots galore compared to rugby or Gaelic football matches: What is it about soccer in particular that makes otherwise respectable people want to chuck their seats in the air and break their hands on each others' heads?

Loved the book!

• 2 weeks later...

That Salinger documentary was great, and Raise High the Roofbeams is probably my favorite. I need to do some revisiting sooner than later, but for right now I'm going to read the three unpublished stories that leaked around Thanksgiving time.

Read These 3 Unpublished JD Salinger Stories That Just Leaked Online (follow the first link there...)

That Salinger documentary was great, and Raise High the Roofbeams is probably my favorite. I need to do some revisiting sooner than later, but for right now I'm going to read the three unpublished stories that leaked around Thanksgiving time.

Read These 3 Unpublished JD Salinger Stories That Just Leaked Online (follow the first link there...)

Sweet, Something new to read. I haven't read Salinger in over 20 years. Too bad it can't be downloaded to read offline.

I just finished "Gone to Soldiers" by Marge Piercy.

It's a way good read.

Just before that I reread "Stranger In A Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein

I tried and got:

File Download Blocked

The file you attempted to download has been previously claimed by a copyright holder through a valid DMCA request and cannot be downloaded.

Still have questions, or think we've made a mistake? Please contact support for further assistance.