Book thread

Kev

Last week I read Anarchy by the WW1-era Italian anarchist revolutionary Errico Malatesta.

It's been published by Freedom Press in a 60 page book but you should also be able to find it online for free, providing you can work the internet. If you are curious about anarchism as a political ideology, or just want to know how these fucking utopian-, rock throwing-, president murdering-, lunatics imagine our society could be different, this is a very good starting point.

Despite being about a century old the author manages to explain an anarchist view of the world that is still very much relevant. He does so in a short and comprehensive way without being overly simplistic. Other texts that I've read on the subject often run five times as long to explain the same ideas. Very effective and thought provoking text. Give it a read if you are ready for it.

5 out of 5 black stars

I've been reading Eric Larson's new book about the sinking of the Lusitania during WWI. As usual, Larson is wonderful at telling a grand story. Its called Dead Wake.

- - - Updated - - -

Big fans of all the Deloria's here. Have you read Thomas King's "An Inconvenient Indian"? I'm going to have to read that Means' autobiography too.

I've been drowning in fiction, so maybe I'll take a look at the non-fiction on this page as a palate cleanser.

Horror/weird fic bros: I just finished a pretty fantastic book called Bastards of the Absolute, by Timothy S. Cantwell. It almost doesn't even fit in the 'horror' genre at all, since it's not going to keep anybody awake at night, but the stories are strange and beautiful. So is the book. Pictures do not do it justice. I see myself spending a whole lot of money at Egaeus Press in the future. Bastards of the Absolute

Also, on the recommendation of Nathan Ballingrud, I picked up Last Days, by Adam Nevill. Ballingrud says Nevill is the only author who can scare him anymore, and I understand why. There were things I didn't like about it, but it's the first book I can remember giving me the creeps since Matheson's Hell House.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge Stephen King fan, specifically The Dark Tower series. My (in-progress) full sleeve is actually all in a way taken from the Dark Tower series or other related books.

With school I've been way too slow at reading. A few chapters here and there of Beloved and Peoples History of the United States, which has been going on for about three months :\

"Broken homes" by Ben Aaronvich.

The police procedural element to his stuff is so correct (in tone if not detail) that I thought he might be an ex copper. Apparently not- just a Watestones worker turned writer who obviously has an eye for detail.

Occult shit going on in London. Mixed race copper tries to juggle magical murders with nonsense Met bureaucracy.

• 1 month later...

Been reading this over the past couple of weeks:

Unruly Places: Lost Spaces, Secret Cities, and Other Inscrutable Geographies, Alastair Bonnett

It consists of a lot short chapters about different strange places around the world, grouped in themes. There is one on Pripyat (Chernobyl), one on the Somalian pirate nest of Hobyo town, one of the "independent nation" of Sealand just of the Brittish coast, one of the enclaves within enclaves in India and Bangladesh. Besides info about the actually places the author goes through a lot of world history, sociology, economics, social- and cultural history and colorful anecdotes.

I very much recommend this book too anyone, it's truly fascinating and each chapter is more interesting than the one before. Love it

Re reading Duma Key/Stephen King. And on the last book in the Wrinkle in Time series by Madeline L'engle, and yeah it's for kids but Wrinkle in Time is one of my favorite books-didn't know there was more in the series!

Lee Child has another Reacher book out so I need to get these finished and get to the library.

Currently I'm reading Third and Indiana which is a pretty good fictionalized look at Badlands/Kensington area of Philadelphia and the effect it has on kids and families.

Has anyone read the latest by Dave Eggers, Your Fathers, Where Are They? It's next on my list I think. I love some of his work, and I kind of hate others, but I read them all.

Here's to the year of the Depend Adult Undergarments lol. Infinite Jest was 0.00% what I expected, and honestly took a long time for me to digest / reflect on. Good read, but certainly deserves a second look for me

I have the final Dexter book sitting in my Kindle and I'm afraid to crush it out and be done with the character. I'm hoping he is exposed or killed like I really wanted from the show.

**Odd connection, did anyone who read Infinite Jest find a kinda sorta odd connection to Videodrome?? I

• 2 weeks later...

Did it take anyone else a long time to get the Tattootime box? I ordered mine in mid-June (and received confirmation from Paypal that the money had transferred) and still no sign of it--not sure whether to ask the post office or try contacting Hardy Marks again.

Right now I'm reading a preview copy of Lauren Redniss's "Thunder and Lightning," which comes out in October. Good if you're a weather nerd who likes a well-told story, trivia and printmaking--it's an approach to science writing that I haven't really seen before. Need to check out her book on the Curies next.

Did it take anyone else a long time to get the Tattootime box? I ordered mine in mid-June (and received confirmation from Paypal that the money had transferred) and still no sign of it--not sure whether to ask the post office or try contacting Hardy Marks again.

It took me a while to receive it as well, Doug pretty much handles the whole HardyMarks operation himself so I guess a couple bumps in the road are to be expected. I had to call to get it sorted but it all worked out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reassurance and it finally came. I regret not having bought it ages ago! I know I'm going to learn a ton (including how much I don't know). Best use of tattoo money I haven't spent on tattoos, by far. To anyone else reading this who doesn't own this book, buy it now.

I wish I had more money to spend on this stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...