Book thread

Kev

Selby Jr. is still one of my top 3 favorite authors. there's a pretty decent documentary on him that you should check out D.

Pshhhhhh... Seen it. Rules almost as hard as the man himself.

I wish I could have been in his class at UCLA before he passed... Talk about a teacher.

Oh man, I was so excited to not be going to school over the summer. I thought I was going to read a ton and I have just not read anywhere near as much as I wanted. I read The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry, which was interesting and well-written, sometimes pretty funny. Then my friend begged me to read Water for Elephants, which really just wasn't my scene.

I'm absolutely taking suggestions for my next book though. I have four weeks left until school starts again.

Just starting F. Paul Wilson's 'Midnight Mass'.

It's an old-school vampire novel that he says he wanted to write as an antidote to pop culture 'tortured and sensitive' vampires. So Wilson's dirty, remorseless vampires are more in the vein, if you'll excuse the pun, of King's 'Salem's Lot' crossed with 28 Days Later rather than Anne Rice.

Events are set several months after a vampiric takeover of North America's major cities. A priest, a nun and a rabbi (I know, sounds like the set-up for a joke) attempt to reclaim a parish church and fortify it against vampires and their human collaborators.

I read a short story version of the novel a few years ago. One nice touch was that it featured a pair of drifters who had tattooed crosses on their faces in an effort to provide themselves with protection from the bad guys that couldn't be taken off them.

I was thinking of either getting the kindle,or the IPAD and downloading the app for kindle.Does anyone have the IPAD,and if so is it a good reader?

To be honest, I think it depends on what you want it for. iPads, like Shawn says, are pretty good for everything. However, I have an Android tablet, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper, haha. If you don't think you'll use it much, I'd suggest one of those. Although, apparently Apple products aren't as expensive in America compared to here, I hear!

If you read a lot of comic books, something running Android may be the way to go- they have a dedicated comic book app, where you can take any digital file and read comics from them. My mate swears by it, though I haven't really used it much. I prefer proper books, haha.

I have a book tip for tattoo artists. Up until I became a busy grown-up I was a voracious reader. But as an adult I stopped reading because I get so drawn into my books I don't get anything else done. I used to keep the TV on while I would draw but only crappy tv or boring stuff. Cold Case files was a favorite because it wouldn't distract me and the guy would drone on with the story. I got tired of the mindless TV and had the idea to try listening to audio books. I'm a huge fan now! So far I've listened to War and Peace (64 hours!!!) Moby Dick, The Odessy, In Cold Blood, Wicked, The Jungle... I'm trying to get through some of the really dense stories i never got through in the past. It's really cool because listening to the story doesn't distract from your drawing the way TV can. and I hate listening to music at home because it makes me feel like I'm at work. Plus I get tired of all my music from listening to it at work.

I wrote a big excited post here about books, since I'm such a geek, then my computer broke. Instead, I'll just direct you to this book I'm reading right now called Lords of Chaos: Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground: Amazon.co.uk: Didrik Soderlind, Michael Moynihan: Books

I don't even listen to metal music, and I think it's great. Weird though. It should be called "Interviews with Nutters".

"Until The Light Takes Us" is an excellent documentary = )

Kev, Petri, why am I wasting time reading a book when I didn't even have to wait for the movie to come out? Haha. This looks really great- just looked it up, and I see you can see the whole thing on the website, too. I love it when people do that!

Hey, even if it doesn't translate to Hvia Lyset Tar Oss, I still clicked on the link and managed to see that cool album sleeve, so worth it either way. I always liked that about metal, especially black metal- they seem to use a lot of artwork on their sleeves instead of pictures of the band trying to look cool.

I just started reading Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk today. It's very, very weird. I'd like to read Anna Karenina again, I think I would definitely noticed some things I missed the first time. Anthony Kiedis' memior, Scar Tissue was really good. I read a lot of Stephen King and Augusten Burroughs.

i love biographies and memoirs!!! since you give Scar Tissue a thumbs up im gonna look into it!

Costello-there was a flyfishing shop right next to our hotel on Bush St. in San Francisco. I didn't realize how popular it was there. I grew up wade fishing and gigging in the Gulf and my son is really into fishing. I miss my fresh seafood = /

Yeah. The artist is Theodor Kittelsen

Theodor Kittelsen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of his most famous paintings is of course the one I attached. And If I remember correctly, Daniel Santoro did a great tattoo of it! Anyone finds it, cooool!

Wow, that's really cool. I'd love to see the tattoo, too- Dan Santoro probably did a really great job of it! I got really pissy with the website of that documentary for trying to charge me $5 to watch it, when they've got it up on YouTube for free. Managed to watch half of it the other night though before I dozed off, it's great. Really weird to see Varg looking so... normal? Or perhaps "calm" is the word I'm thinking of- when I read things he'd said in the book I was starting to see where he was coming from, and thinking, "wait, am I agreeing with a psychopath, here?". Strange stuff!

Costello-there was a flyfishing shop right next to our hotel on Bush St. in San Francisco. I didn't realize how popular it was there. I grew up wade fishing and gigging in the Gulf and my son is really into fishing. I miss my fresh seafood = /

That would be the Orvis on Bush. Great shop all around. I wouldn't say its too popular around the bay area, but once you get up to the Sacramento area and above, the interest really grows. Good pick on places for a hotel. Pretty much in the middle of everything.

Finished 'Midnight Mass' (I cram sometimes to finish things) and on to Guilermo Del Toro's collaboration with Chuck Hogan 'The Fall'', which is book 2 of their trilogy.

It's another vampire novel, funnily enough, although this one posits a basis for the vampire myth in medical science. Vampirism as a blood-born illness transmitted by worms which genetrically alter their host organisms. Cue team of epidemologists (if that's the word), fearless vampire hunters and the end of the world beginning with a mass outbreak in NYC.

Sometimes I think I can see Del Toro's touch in terms of not so much the plotting but the visual pictures created. Some of the imagery is very ambitious and you can't help but think that a movie adaptation is a matter of when not if.

• 1 month later...

"The Hero with a 1000 Faces" by Joseph Campbell was good, if a bit dry. "Way of The Tarot" is very informative and offers a peek into the way Jodorowsky interprets imagery-heavy mystical stuff, but not hippie-dippy.

After that, I'm going to try and pick up this-looks super interesting:

Amazon.com: Tokyo Vice: An American Reporter on the Police Beat in Japan (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard) (9780307475299): Jake Adelstein: Books

• 3 weeks later...