Book thread

Kev

Bought Dan Simmons' 'The Terror' today.

This came out in 2007 and I've been meaning to get around to reading it since then. I love Simmons' science fiction, but this homage to Melville appeals to me as the kind of book you'd want to read in the winter months, with a glass of scotch in hand and the elements hammering on the windows.

It's set in the mid 19th century, and deals with the fate of two arctic expeditionary ships, the Erebus and the Terror, which run into trouble. Clearly I've not read it yet, but I gather that, in addition to dealing with a spot of bad weather, crew members start turning up torn in half / chewed up by something out in the blizzard...

Bought it in a secondhand bookshop, I like supporting them when I can. They had what appeared to be a completely-new but nonetheless secondhand-priced set of Barry Eisler's 'John Rain' books. They're not unlike Lee Child's 'Jack Reacher' series, which my girlfriend loves, so I snapped them up as an extra Christmas present for her.

Also got my older brother Joe Sacco's graphic novel 'Journalism'.

Right now I'd still reading Ben Aaranovich's London supernatural thriller 'Moon over Soho', the sequel to 'Rivers of London'. Essentially, it's about a small department in the London Met which is responsible for policing the supernatural in the city. Sounds a bit naff, but I assure you it's both an accurate portrayal of what it's like to be a copper and a well-observed snapshot of London living.

Have you read the new China Mieville novel? It's a tribute to Moby Dick and I usually love Mieville but I want to read Moby Dick first. I started it for the third time earlier this year and haven't finished it. I hesitate to say I've abandoned it but that's probably once again the case. I used to enjoy reading difficult books more when I was a younger msn, I feel that age is making me slow-witted. I was interested in that Simmons novel when I saw it at the library a couple of years ago, let us know how it is.

Last book I read was Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind which I thought was okay and got interesting enough by the end of the book that I'll probably read the second book when it comes out as a mass market paperback. I'm now reading John Irving's Until I Find You, which is the first Irving novel I've read but it's pretty good. Tattooing is a major theme of the novel, which is why I picked up the book in the first place, though I think that aspect of it is the weakest part of it.

Not sure what's lined up next. @Pugilist got me a couple of books about Japanese myths for Christmas that I'm excited to read. I still need to sit down with Stoney Knows How and I have a couple of Thomas Ligotti books (Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Noctuary) sitting on my bedside table and spending a cold winter's day in an armchair with a good cup of tea reading those would make for a most disturbing and unpleasant afternoon.

I've actually never read any China Mieville... I used to be put off by urban fantasy but of late I've been reading lots of Neil Gaiman and others, so maybe it's time for Mieville.

'The Name of the Wind' is on my list, I remember it generated a lot of buzz a few years ago. At the same time Joe Abercrombie's 'The Blade Itself' was just out and it seemed like a really exciting time for new, grittier fantasy. I recently read Richard K Morgan's 'The Steel Remains', and I guess that would fit in alongside them.

Right now I'm reading a paranormal police procedural set in London... Book 2 of three in the series so far: 'Moon over Soho' by Ben Aaranovitch. Much of it is set around Soho and there are lots of real bars and restaurants that are featured. Frith St (the actual street, not the tattoo shop) has cropped up a couple of times so far.

Next I think I might try 'The Terror' but I have a backlog that includes Iain M. Banks' 'Excession' (had it for years, never got beyond chapter 1) and an old second hand copy of Eric Frank Russell's 'Wasp' (been meaning to re-read it, great adventure story).

Have you read the new China Mieville novel? It's a tribute to Moby Dick and I usually love Mieville but I want to read Moby Dick first. I started it for the third time earlier this year and haven't finished it. I hesitate to say I've abandoned it but that's probably once again the case. I used to enjoy reading difficult books more when I was a younger msn, I feel that age is making me slow-witted. I was interested in that Simmons novel when I saw it at the library a couple of years ago, let us know how it is.

Last book I read was Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind which I thought was okay and got interesting enough by the end of the book that I'll probably read the second book when it comes out as a mass market paperback. I'm now reading John Irving's Until I Find You, which is the first Irving novel I've read but it's pretty good. Tattooing is a major theme of the novel, which is why I picked up the book in the first place, though I think that aspect of it is the weakest part of it.

Not sure what's lined up next. @Pugilist got me a couple of books about Japanese myths for Christmas that I'm excited to read. I still need to sit down with Stoney Knows How and I have a couple of Thomas Ligotti books (Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Noctuary) sitting on my bedside table and spending a cold winter's day in an armchair with a good cup of tea reading those would make for a most disturbing and unpleasant afternoon.

I've actually never read any China Mieville... I used to be put off by urban fantasy but of late I've been reading lots of Neil Gaiman and others, so maybe it's time for Mieville.

'The Name of the Wind' is on my list, I remember it generated a lot of buzz a few years ago. At the same time Joe Abercrombie's 'The Blade Itself' was just out and it seemed like a really exciting time for new, grittier fantasy. I recently read Richard K Morgan's 'The Steel Remains', and I guess that would fit in alongside them.

Right now I'm reading a paranormal police procedural set in London... Book 2 of three in the series so far: 'Moon over Soho' by Ben Aaranovitch. Much of it is set around Soho and there are lots of real bars and restaurants that are featured. Frith St (the actual street, not the tattoo shop) has cropped up a couple of times so far.

Next I think I might try 'The Terror' but I have a backlog that includes Iain M. Banks' 'Excession' (had it for years, never got beyond chapter 1) and an old second hand copy of Eric Frank Russell's 'Wasp' (been meaning to re-read it, great adventure story).

Mieville is probably what you'd call "steampunk" and while my instincts tell me to run far, far away from anything that could be described by that, his books are actually really great because he doesn't get bogged down by his world and instead lets the characters and story take the lead, and there is genuinely some really cool stuff going on in his books. I started reading him kind of expecting to not like him but thinking that his books looked interesting enough that they were at least worth a chance and I'm glad that I read him. He's one of the SF/fantasy writers who excites me most.

The Name of the Wind isn't at all gritty. It's actually really naive and innocent, though I hope this is because it deals with the protagonist when he's a young boy and that it will get tougher and grittier as it goes on. I think I read a Joe Abercrombie story in a sword and sorcery collection and it obviously didn't really stick out to me but I always hear people raving about him so I should read some more.

I thought The Name of the Wind was great. Martin's books are awesome. I'm a huge Fantasy nerd, Glen Cook's Black Company novels are awesome, and if you like those, you would love Steven Erikson's Malazan Books of the Fallen. He's an anthropologist who has about 200,000 years of history in his stories, crazy stuff. S.M. Stirling's Dies the Fire series is great.

Non Fantasy I LOVE Andrew Vachss "Burke" novels. Vachss is a lawyer who only does pro-bono work for abused children and the Burke books are what he wishes he could do. I have multiple signed copies and named my kids after characters in them.

Reading "Among the Thugs" currently. I have zero interest in Football, but the culture behind all the British teams is fascinating.

That book is great. I don't think it gives many insights into the culture of football but it's a great read and the ending of it is one of the finest pieces of journalism I've read since Hunter S Thompson's Hells Angels.

If you like 'among the thugs', 'the football factory' by John King is worth a look.

I used to have to cover the odd match for our national league. Provincial stuff compared to the UK but still idiots galore compared to rugby or Gaelic football matches: What is it about soccer in particular that makes otherwise respectable people want to chuck their seats in the air and break their hands on each others' heads?

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Slaughterhouse 5 , and The Contortionists Handbook by Craig Clevenger , the later is apty tittled as its the story of a forger who ducks and weaves by continually changing his identity however repeated overdoses means he now must elude the grasp of his psychiatrist . It's an original and fast moving story that received high praise from Irvine Welsh of Trainspotting fame .

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up the critically acclaimed " Englands Dreaming Sex Pistols and Punk Rock " and " Chopper " the notorious Mark Read's story at a local charity shop , it's always amazing what you can find in these places but I totally wasn't expecting to see a copy of " Mein Kampf " amongst their shelves .

I was thinking of either getting the kindle,or the IPAD and downloading the app for kindle.Does anyone have the IPAD,and if so is it a good reader?

I generally use a Kindle these days. I have an iPad, but I rarely use it for book read. I find it too heavy to read comfortably in bed, as well as too bright, even when pushed to its lowest settings. In daylight, I find there is often too much glare on the screen to be truly immersive.

- - - Updated - - -

So many great suggestions and great books in this thread. I've jotted down a few titles for ordering. I love books across a wide spectrum of genres. Right now I'm on a bit of a mystery kick. I read a lot of rather dense history for work and when I'm not reading that, I love to disappear into a good novel. I'll list of few of my favorite authors.

Mystery/suspense/ thriller: Linwood Barcley, Michael Connelly, Ian Rankin, Harlen Coben, Barry Eisler, James Lee Burke, Warren Ellis, Denis Lehane,

Horror / Fantasy: Stephen King, Robert McCammon, Patrick Rothfus, Robert Jordan

Sci-fi: John Scalzi,

Lit: John Steinbeck, Rawi Hage,

History: Tony Judt, Bernard Bailyn, Jill Lepore,

One major change in reading is the advent of e-readers. I realized after my last move that between me and my fiance, we have too many books. I have a stack of more than 70 in my "to-read" pile. I have books stacked to the ceiling. In order to save space I bought a Kindle. It took months before I became totally comfortable with it. its been more than a year since I bought a paper book. I still feel like a bit of a book traitor though. I never thought I'd move totally digital in this regard. There are problems. For one, if you buy through Amazon or Chapters (and I assume most vendors) you don't actually own the book - you lease it. They can recall the book from your device without asking your permission. This happened not long ago when Amazon recalled the book (irony alert!) 1984 from thousand of devices due to a licensing problem with the publisher. It can be difficult to share e-books too. On the upside, I find the experience of reading on an e-reader to be a more immersive experience. Page turns are fast and nowadays virtually seamless. The e-reader is light and easier to transport. (I carry a heavy bag every day and and relief is appreciated. I wonder what other people here think of e-readers - do you generally like or dislike them?

i would never in my life read a book thats not a real book. i'm a booknerd.

- - - Updated - - -

and yeah....books take alot of space. all my bookshelves are over-filled...started filling the livingroom window and my desk now...soon i'll have to get a bigger place to fit my books!

Although I very much prefer real books, because I'm on the road for work - I don't have the luxury of hauling many books around.

I have a nook, and I also read on my laptop and on my phone... it's not perfect, but it's better than just not reading anything.