Book thread

Kev

I'm on the third book in Joe Abercrombie's 'The First Law' trilogy - 'Last argument of kings'. I feel like this series has started slowing up a bit for me, after a cracking first two books.

After this it's back to my re-read of Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower'... 'Wolves of the Calla' is up next.

I read 'The Wind Through the Keyhole' last week, which slots in between 'Wizard and Glass' and 'Wolves of the Calla'. Bloody great little novel. It's cleverly done, like a russian doll: It's a story within a story within a story. Roland is recounting a story of his youth to his companions, and in that story from his youth the young Roland tells a fairytale story about old-time Gilead. Sounds weird, but the fairytale really drew me in - sort of Grimm Brothers territory, with woodsmen, domestic violence, murder and a magical quest.

I started book 2 of the Dark Tower series. Thanks every one for reminding me to finally buckle down and read the series. So good!

The newest book, 'wind through the keyhole' falls between books 4 and 5.

The only problem with reading it there is there are no references to the events of that book in the remainder of the series.

I'm on the third book in Joe Abercrombie's 'The First Law' trilogy - 'Last argument of kings'. I feel like this series has started slowing up a bit for me' date=' after a cracking first two books.

After this it's back to my re-read of Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower'... 'Wolves of the Calla' is up next.

I read 'The Wind Through the Keyhole' last week, which slots in between 'Wizard and Glass' and 'Wolves of the Calla'. Bloody great little novel. It's cleverly done, like a russian doll: It's a story within a story within a story. Roland is recounting a story of his youth to his companions, and in that story from his youth the young Roland tells a fairytale story about old-time Gilead. Sounds weird, but the fairytale really drew me in - sort of Grimm Brothers territory, with woodsmen, domestic violence, murder and a magical quest.[/quote']

I've been through the DT series four times, twice with the new book and I agree about the new book, the fairy tale is a great story. The new book may be my favorite of the entire series. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Starting Peter F. Hamilton's Void trilogy - 'The Dreaming Void'.

I think Hamilton does the best epic space opera in the business. Mind blowing scale and concepts. The downside is that some of the interlinked series are so long that I have a Malazan-esque need to constantly check wiki to remember what the hell he means by a passing reference to something that happened 1500 years and 1400 pages ago.

• 1 month later...

Just downloaded 2oo zombie related books and short stories, so I'm gnawing my way through that right now, massive fan of all things horror and SF. I've stopped buying books cause there's nowhere to put them anymore.Great thing I can download books and store em in my online library :P.I don't know many people who read, and I do miss talking about books with someone else.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

A conversation I had with a co-worker.

Girl: "I love the movies based on Stephen King books."

Me: "oh yeah? What's your favorite?"

Girl: "The Crow."

Me:.........

Bwahahha!Well she tried..don't get me started on mr.King.I have an idea of making a sleeve out of Church,Pennywise,Gage's sneaker,raggedy doll from Desperation..the idea is there,just need the right guy to do it,some time and plenty of money.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

I had a marathon reading impulse the last two weeks or so and plowed through a few books in a day each. Either I have no life or a lot of free time at work...

Anyways, I read and recommend:

The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman

The Fault in our Stars - John Green

The Wolf Gift series by Anne Rice, I just finished #2 The Wolves of Midwinter

I finished The Drawing of the Three (WOW!!!)

Bird by Bird - Anne Lamotte (for any one interested in delving into the craft of writing)

And right now I am reading the Mayfair Witches series by Anne Rice because a fellow fan of hers demanded I do so, and I am ready to wipe away the shame of not having read them and claiming to be a huge Anne Rice fan. So... Yeah!

Been catching up on my comics. Started reading Brother Lono sort of follow up to 100 bullets . It's brutal. Waiting patiently to get the final installment of Locke and Key , possibly the greatest comic book series I have read. I have bought Joe Hill's novels on the back of it and will read them after Locke and Key has finished.