TLC's Tattoo School is the biggest tattoo tragedy EVER!

I just posted my anti-tattoo school idea on my blog Devil City Press Maybe you guys could tell me what you think and even jump in. I don't know Ami but I know there's lots of people out there who do. I think he needs to feel some heat and stand up for what's right. He's cashed in handsomely on tattooing and I feel like he owes a debt to the industry now in it's time of need. He needs to tell TLC that this show is wrong. They don't understand why it's wrong and they're not going to listen to us. Anyone who values tattooing that's getting a paycheck from TLC should be speaking up right now.

• 10 months later...

So I watched the first episode of the new season of TLC's Tattoo School. Out of curiosity. (Don't worry, watched it online, won't contribute to their ratings). I believe two episodes have screened. On top of the 'special' they put out last year.

I cannot put into words how dreadful it was. Three terrible people. Apparently on a two week course. Making truly awful tattoos. And then being praised by their teacher for their smooth tattooing skills and creativity (?!?!!).

I shouldn't have watched it. It might be the worst thing to ever be on TV. And that's saying something. Anyone else see the show since it premiered earlier this month?

I shouldn't have watched it. It might be the worst thing to ever be on TV. And that's saying something.

yep. that about sums it up.

as i was flipping thru the guide, i saw it. reluctantly pressed enter and watched about 15 seconds of the show. abruptly turned off the TV, went on a short rant to my wife about how horrible it is, then put on some music and drew. shoulda been doing that in the first place.

I caught part of one show.. stuck around for the next.... gimmee my hour back. It was atrocious at best... breeding the equivalent of kitchen sink abortionists. Of the one show, 2 or the "grads" are doing tattooing from home. TLC should be proud of themselves.... not.

CG

They won't keep airing these shows if the ratings aren't there. Best thing to do is fight the morbid curiosity of watching it, and encourage those you talk to about it to do the same. Clients always ask if I watch those shows, it's a great chance to tell them why they shouldn't either.

All the tattoo shows are semi-guilty pleasures for me and my ol' lady, so we gave Tattoo School a try. As someone who's watched a lot of beloved cultural and sub-cultural traditions and artifacts get exploited, adulterated, trend-ified and generally idiot-ized throughout the past 30+ years, I'm fairly well outrage-proof at this point. And as a 43-year-old who's been hanging around tattoo shops since 17, I've seen and heard too much carny, sleazy shit to pretend modern tattooing is wholly some sacred artisanal treasure getting violated here... This irresponsible pile of shit TV show, however, legitimately depressed me. I'm generally happy to get out of the way of stupid people being stupid, but man... I want this show shut the fuck down, and with extreme prejudice.

Tim, it's a good thing we share enthusiasms for particle physics, macrame, homemade cheeses and smooth jazz. We always have so much to chat about during tattoos - we'll never have to stoop to discussing some stupid TV program!

How are you supposed to learn ANYTHING in two weeks?

Wow you hire a plumber who'd only had 2 weeks "learning" and no weeks on the job? I wouldn't. I just had the DNR over to remove a bird's nest from my dryer ducts and I wouldn't want a DNR agent who'd only been training for 2 years. He would have killed the birds and wrecked my dryer.

Like, if it was a 2 year college course thing and somebody could get like, an associate's degree in tattooing, I wouldn't mind. But two friggin' weeks?

008add91_25ee_49d9_8723_bbc8a66ba102.jpg_480_480_0_64000_0_1_0.jpg

Wow you hire a plumber who'd only had 2 weeks "learning" and no weeks on the job? I wouldn't. I just had the DNR over to remove a bird's nest from my dryer ducts and I wouldn't want a DNR agent who'd only been training for 2 years. He would have killed the birds and wrecked my dryer.

Like, if it was a 2 year college course thing and somebody could get like, an associate's degree in tattooing, I wouldn't mind. But two friggin' weeks?

Watch the videos and you'll have much more confidence. They start on Monday, are tattooing by Thursday and are shading by Saturday. Why do a long apprenticeship when you can be up and scratching, I mean running in just two weeks???

I think the only thing I have mastered in 2 weeks time was the ability to light a decent fart. An associates degree would be reasonable... log a decent amount of classroom hours and you might become a good tat artist. I would hope a pre-req would be some art classes or as part of the curriculum... adding in hygiene and some basic medical knowledge can't hurt.

CG

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

as i was flipping thru the guide, i saw it. reluctantly pressed enter and watched about 15 seconds of the show. abruptly turned off the TV, went on a short rant to my wife about how horrible it is, then put on some music and drew. shoulda been doing that in the first place.

That's exactly what happened to me. I flipped it on for about two or three minutes, and felt the need to go smoke a cigarette to relieve my boiling blood.

That's exactly what happened to me. I flipped it on for about two or three minutes, and felt the need to go smoke a cigarette to relieve my boiling blood.

I've never watched a whole show.. me and my wife sat there and looked at each other in shock... and either of us will sit through any tattoo show, except for "Drinkin' n Inkin'".

CG

• 4 months later...

Just saw an episode online. I don't think I've ever been more appalled at something on TV in my entire life. Completely disgusting, unprofessional and down right fucking stupid. I'm completely baffled as to how this has been allowed on national television.