When is a consultation necessary?

Asthma Inhaler Jim

So all of my tattoos are relatively small. two of them i got as walk ins and three of them i sent the tattoo artist a picture of what i wanted exactly and then made an appointment with them. i suppose i have never needed to do an in person consultation with an artist. 

i was wondering what type of tattoo would an in person consultation be necessary for? just big custom designs? 

In my naivety my first two tattoos were more or less spur of the moment. I went in without consultations and asked them to do as I wanted. In hindsight, I wish I had taken time to have at least a brief consultation and have input from the artists. I'm having one of those tattoos covered up now! So for me, I think I will almost always want a consultation and get the best outcome possible.  

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with both points from both @SStu and @Queen Rocks, even though their points are quite different. From an artist's perspective, in person consultations are needed for larger pieces and to get an idea of what the client is looking for. This can apply to smaller pieces too, but I'd say that's more so for the client to get the best from the artist. But it all really depends on what you're after, for that. I guess I'm saying.. a good walk-in artist would be able to take that spot and your idea as an immediate consultation and be able to create your piece then and there. But they might also appreciate the time to get your idea, do some research, find references and create a drawing with a bit more time and effort. But then again, some artist will take the consult, schedule a time, and still draw the night before or when you get there. 

I think the most important thing is to do your research in finding an artist whose work you want to wear, then contact them and follow whatever approach they use.