Can we talk finances as tattoo artists? I'm considering a career as a tattoo artist, but, I want to make sure it's something I can do financially.

chrysanthemym

Hey everyone.

I’ve been seriously considering a career as a tattoo artist but I want to make sure that what I'm getting myself into would be something that could viably keep me afloat financially.

My parents my entire life have been vying for me to get a career at a company so that I can have the usual benefits (health insurance, 401k, sick days, vacation days, pto, etc); and while I understand where they're coming from, I've never been able to, or enjoyed holding down a full-time job.

I've done freelance jobs from time to time, but even then, it doesn't feel like fulfilling work.

I've always been a creative person and I find so much joy, satisfaction, and happiness out of drawing detailed things, shading intricate designs, and creating something meaningful and permanent for someone else.

I've honestly dreamed of being a tattoo artist, even when I was younger, but, I'm worried that the career won't be enough or that I'll be living paycheck to paycheck, struggling with health insurance, etc.

I understand there's a lot of financial, personal, and different expenses tattoo artists have to take into account for themselves. There's paying for the rent/space (or personal studio if you're independent), there's paying for supplies (if the shop doesn't supply them), there's paying the split between the shop and the artist, there's freelance taxes to consider, there's paying for health insurance, setting up personal 401ks, etc.

I know that there are tons of tattoo artists who do really well for themselves, so I don't doubt that it's a viable career option, but, I'd honestly love to get more tattoo artists' opinions on the craft/career as a whole and how it looks financially.

So if you don't mind me asking...

1. How much is your monthly take-home pay, post expenses (rent, supplies, split) and post-taxes? Do you ever find it hard to pay for things as a tattoo artist during the slow weeks?

2. How do you manage paying for health insurance?

3. Is there anything you wish you knew financially before you became a tattoo artist or started your apprenticeship?

4. Is there any advice you have for other tattoo artists?

5. How did you know you wanted to become a tattoo artist and another/more stable career wasn't for you?

(Disclaimer: I hope this post doesn't come across as rude or anything disrespectful towards the craft at all. I have so much respect, awe, and love for the craft and practice tattoo artists undertake. I also just think it's important to consider the financial aspect too and being able to live off of the career, and I think it'd be nice to have an open discourse about it. Thanks in advance for your advice/comments!)

Edited by chrysanthemym
Update topic.

• chrysanthemym changed the title to Can we talk finances as tattoo artists? I'm considering a career as a tattoo artist, but, I want to make sure it's something I can do financially.
3 hours ago, chrysanthemym said:

I know that there are tons of tattoo artists who do really well for themselves, so I don't doubt that it's a viable career option, but, I'd honestly love to get more tattoo artists' opinions on the craft/career as a whole and how it looks financially.

How exactly do you know this? It really goes against everything I've heard.

As @oboogie said, this isn't a site for artists to exchange tips, I'd suggest reading the rules. If you want to be a tattoo artist, talk with your own artist next time you get a tattoo.