Beer Thread

gougetheeyes

Lagunitas just came out with a Doppelweizen, very uncharacteristic of them put delicious and in the neighborhood of 9% ABV. Also just picked up a couple bottles of Russian River's Pliny the Elder that I stumbled upon at the beer store. It was a limit of one bottle per person so I had to get out some disguises and return throught the day. Not really I just made the lady sell one to my 9 month old, Classy I know.

• 2 months later...

I've been going back to my roots and drinking a lot of stout lately, as the winter months close in.

Now, Guinness is our best-known stout export. The truth is that it's a shadow of its former self - once they started pasteurising it and serving it hooked up to the lager coolers (extra cold) it stopped being the drink our fathers drank, and became some watered-down mass-market bastardisation. If you want to drink Guinness your best best is the stronger alcohol 'special' bottle which is made for the African market (Guinness is huge amongst Nigerians and the like).

If you really want serious contemporary stout from Ireland then luckily there are more than a couple of craft offerings that will hit the spot. These are mostly classic dry Irish stouts, served at cellar temperture ideally.

First up: Wrasslers XXX from the Porterhouse. Our London and NYC brethren will be able to try this in the Porterhouse Brew Co. pubs in their cities. Other than that it's available in bottles reasonably widely (perhaps even the U.S?). The 'Wrassler' name comes from the nickname of Michael Collins, an Irish revolutionary figure, who was a big stout drinker.

porterh-wrasslersXXXX.jpg

Another good one is Dungarvan brewing company's Black Rock stout. Dungarvan is one of a new generation of breweries that was set up by a guy and his brother-in-law in conjunction with their wives. It's a little lighter and not as much of a syrupy mouth-feel as you'll get with some stronger stouts.

IMG_0171.JPG

But my favourite stout at the moment, an absolute stonker with 6% alcohol content, unusually high for an Irish stout, is Carlow Brewing Company's O'Hara's Leann Folainn (gaelic for 'wholesome brew' / 'wholesome stout'). A lot of people think this is the best craft beer which has been made in Ireland over the past number of years.

smallirelandmarch2011-1243.jpg

Mostly the Dungarvan and Leann Folainn are only available in bottles. But from time to time you see various craft stouts from Irish breweries offered on tap in some pubs. Mostly they're hooked up to conventional taps (meaning they have nitro cannisters attached, and some people reckon that fundamentally changes the taste), but occassionally they'll be there on a keg and hand pump.

I've been going back to my roots and drinking a lot of stout lately, as the winter months close in.

Now, Guinness is our best-known stout export. The truth is that it's a shadow of its former self - once they started pasteurising it and serving it hooked up to the lager coolers (extra cold) it stopped being the drink our fathers drank, and became some watered-down mass-market bastardisation. If you want to drink Guinness your best best is the stronger alcohol 'special' bottle which is made for the African market (Guinness is huge amongst Nigerians and the like).

If you really want serious contemporary stout from Ireland then luckily there are more than a couple of craft offerings that will hit the spot. These are mostly classic dry Irish stouts, served at cellar temperture ideally.

First up: Wrasslers XXX from the Porterhouse. Our London and NYC brethren will be able to try this in the Porterhouse Brew Co. pubs in their cities. Other than that it's available in bottles reasonably widely (perhaps even the U.S?). The 'Wrassler' name comes from the nickname of Michael Collins, an Irish revolutionary figure, who was a big stout drinker.

porterh-wrasslersXXXX.jpg

Another good one is Dungarvan brewing company's Black Rock stout. Dungarvan is one of a new generation of breweries that was set up by a guy and his brother-in-law in conjunction with their wives. It's a little lighter and not as much of a syrupy mouth-feel as you'll get with some stronger stouts.

IMG_0171.JPG

But my favourite stout at the moment, an absolute stonker with 6% alcohol content, unusually high for an Irish stout, is Carlow Brewing Company's O'Hara's Leann Folainn (gaelic for 'wholesome brew' / 'wholesome stout'). A lot of people think this is the best craft beer which has been made in Ireland over the past number of years.

smallirelandmarch2011-1243.jpg

Mostly the Dungarvan and Leann Folainn are only available in bottles. But from time to time you see various craft stouts from Irish breweries offered on tap in some pubs. Mostly they're hooked up to conventional taps (meaning they have nitro cannisters attached, and some people reckon that fundamentally changes the taste), but occassionally they'll be there on a keg and hand pump.

Thanks for the recommendations, not a fan of the Guiness we get over here. Think I know a couple places where I can find some of these beers.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new but thought I would share I'm a bit of a beer lover.

Beer perfection would be Stone Russian Imperial Stout and Dogfish head 90 minute IPA for me.

Best fall Beer I've had so far was Southern Tier Pumking Ale, best Pumpkin ale I've had so far!

I'm a bit of Belgian beer fan though love Chimay and Kasteel. Anything they make is a winner in my eyes. Allagash makes some fine ales as well. Allagash White is amazingly good.

Hi

i like the guest ales they offer in our local witherspoons. with the odd names like bishops mangled todger or hellfiremindwarp lol. does anyone like the cider they do now

like magners the popular irish fizzy homogonized wee. lol its made with 23 different varietys of apple. fuck that exclusive . i think it covers them if any poor sod wants to sue them if they have a dodgey tummy and wants to know where the apples came from. real cider is well strong.and on a different planet . i was in a pub in rugby a few weeks back that does all home brew stuff . i politely asked if they had something tall thin and full of vodka to which the barmaid pointed and said you can take that skinny old blonde in the corner .. after i stopped laughing the first thing they ask is do u want to walk out like a crab on on all 4s or would u like the mild brew. erm the toxic gear plz my friend said. well this gloop looked like a pimped up gatorade lol. it looked awfull and cloudy and smelt like a cow shed in the middle of july. all that was missing was a rats tail floating in it but tasted devine in a sick macarbe

way. we had a few and it was slightly cold but not chilled. thats how we have it here the barmaid mumbled inbetween smoking her chalk pipe. oh ok we said. and carried on glugging until we finished our brew

and we did leave uprite if at a slight angle. as we passed the locals in the corner playing a wicked tune on there jam jars and stringed box instruments under a bloodied pentagram on the ceiling . then into the cold night air looking over our shoulders at the full moon

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet... Must check out that brewdog bar. I liked their Christmas ale - 'there Is no Santa'. Surprisingly mellow for them, I associate them more with face-melting hoppier stuff.

Been drinking lots of stouts lately... And porter. Last night HArviestoun old engine oil.