Beer Thread

gougetheeyes

I just realized how much of a beer snob I am. A friend left some Killians Irish Red in my fridge from last night and I am pretty sure it will stay in my fridge for a long time. I didn't want to give him too much shit, but I didn't even know they still made that stuff. Funny if it was High Life or PBR I would probably already drank it.

Update I used a couple of them to cook Bratwurst in and then last night drank the last two so I didn't have to break into my beer cellar (it's actually just a shed that I put the beer that wont fit in the fridge). Plus most of my night was sponsored by George Dickel. My loan officer drives me to drink more than normal.

Had a pork kassler steak (braised for 5 hours) for dinner... With carmelised apples, black pudding mashed potato and some saurkraut.

Having a Road Dog Porter now... 6%, interesting malt and hop balance. Not what I think of when I think porter, but it's good stuff. I paid the equivalent of $5-$6 for the 330ml bottle though.

Drinking a bottle of O'Hara's Irish Stout.

There's a plethora of great Irish stouts around at the moment... Dungarvan Black Rock Stout, Porterhouse plain, Porterhouse Oyster stout, Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX, O'Hara's Lean Folainn and the plain old O'Hara's Irish stout I just mentioned. Mostly dry tasting, in the real Irish fashion, and all of them infinitley superior to Guinness.

I think, of all of them, the regular O'Hara's is my favourite session stout. Their Leann Folainn is a thicker, heavier brew, but the regular black bottle 'Irish stout' is a good one to look for. The brewing company behind these - O'Hara's / Carlow Brewing Company - stole a march on a lot of other Irish companies and started exporting abroad before they even had much of a market here in Ireland... That's worked out well for them apparently. Worth trying if you guys come across them.

I see Pabst tallboys are having a moment with the hipsters over here - they're all drinking them in various pop-up restaurants in Dublin right now. I know Pabst are considered old-school but not a 'craft' brewer ... What's it taste like?

Pabst is good shti. I wish they made them in the 24 oz size, but I'm a fan of the pints. It's not really good as many premium American beers like Budweiser and Miller, I still like it though. The 30-packs are a big hit with college kids. We always said that after a bad night with PBR, I've been Pabst-Smeared! If you can find it in the bar bottles, all the better.

CG

Ive got a fridge full of poolwater (PBR/Budwiser) and will be drowning myself in them after work.

I still always fall back on 16 oz Buds and PBRs. Like returning to my roots or maybe the price is right and I can get tanked on the cheap, plus my kids won't touch it in the icebox. I buy most of my beer in 7-11 or my local supermarket (King Kullen). They have the 24 ozers for the right price... been enjoying numerous OE 800s as well.

CG

• 1 month later...