Beer Thread

gougetheeyes

Hopworks Abomindabale Winter Ale, really hoppy, but really balanced and 7.3%

Gigantic The Royale - Belgian Pale Ale, love the hop finish with the presence of the Belgian Yeast.

Sierra Nevada Hoptinium 10.4% of crazy hoppy goodness.

During Election night I drank a couple Fireside Chat by 21st Amendment, very nice winter spiced Ale, that just happens to have FDR on the can, thought it was appropriate.

My dad just gave me a sixer of some of his homebrew. He called it an "Alt" beer. To be honest, I don't know what that means.

It's a German style of lager that should be malty, reasonably bitter, but not aromatic. According to the handy beer and food pairing guide I have on my desk here, it goes very nicely with pear fritters.

Here's one set of commonly-recognised style guidelines if you want to learn more about different beer styles: BJCP Style Guidelines

now why didn't I think of that . . . ?

Found an online copy of it. Now you'll never wonder what beer you should drink the next time you're having pomegranate tart with walnuts for dessert. And yet pizza is nowhere to be found there...I'm going to assume that's because pizza goes with everything.

Picture-4.png

It's a German style of lager that should be malty, reasonably bitter, but not aromatic. According to the handy beer and food pairing guide I have on my desk here, it goes very nicely with pear fritters.

Here's one set of commonly-recognised style guidelines if you want to learn more about different beer styles: BJCP Style Guidelines

Thanks man! Appreciate the link...

• 3 weeks later...
Thornbridge Hall imperial Russian stout... 7.4%. Tasty for the winter evenings...

[ATTACH]8230[/ATTACH]

I think these guys are one of the best of the 'new school' UK brewers... If they still count as new.

I'm also loving the stout season. Canadas first modern craft brewery.

• 3 weeks later...

ipa guy here. idiot ipa, inversion, odell, marble brewery, are usually my go-to's (slim pickings here, but these are excellent). anything citrusy, hoppy, and bold with a high (atleast 6 or 6.5 and up, strictly) alcohol content im down with. also a huge fan of goose island ales (chicago), and dales and happy camper for their ipa in a can appeal. and anything by rogue you cant go wrong with.

theres just something about the thrill for the hunt for the perfect ipa- browsing selections, the packaging, cracking one open and catching a whiff, hitting up new towns and cities and checking out the local shit (always my favorite ipas, but i can never remember what i ordered lol). i almost feel like i live for this sort of thing. and when i was living in pdx i tried so many ipas it was insane, i can hardly remember them all.

just recently tried a black ipa for the first time- amazing. id also kill for a raspberry wheat ale. currently nobody sells any brand that makes that around here, so im thinking about ordering some online but have no idea what to go for.

also, this is a really fun website to fuck around with.. beer advocate.. sort of like the last sparrow of the beer world. they also have a section for malt liqour lol..

- - - Updated - - -

anyone from the 90s remember these?

2285165788_d366d0fa17.jpg

I think black IPA is stupid, personally. If you get too much dark roastiness in there it's essentially a hoppy stout (a West Coast stout maybe?) but if you don't have the dark malt flavours in there then what's the point? Maybe I'll have a black IPA one day that convinces me that it's a legit style but as of right now I think it's little more than a gimmick.

I have opinions on beer, man.