Beer Thread

gougetheeyes

Call me boring but I stick with Bud light. I also like Coors light too. People around here drink Busch lite like it is going out out style but to me that tastes like goat pee (not that I know what that tastes like, haha). I can drink Bud light Lime but only one at a time.

• 3 weeks later...
Hade a Pale Bock made with Beets last night by Elysian Brewing. Think it was the most disgusting beer I have had in a long time. Wife brought it home from her trip had to drink it.

You need to stop posting awesome beers on the instagram dude.

I'll also add Laguanitas having Undercover Shutdown back in stores has given my liver an excuse to write to its congressman. Goodbye Sober Day.

haaaaahahahaha, this is so funny and so true. NorCal, man... microbreweries for days and SO MANY NERDS. I love when people invite you to make fun of them :)

I'm a brewer and recently started brewing in a brewpub (not the sort of place that attracts beer nerds though) after nearly five years in production brewing and maybe it's because I'm not very used to interacting with the general drinking public, but I'm constantly amazed at how little people know about beer...which would be fine except for that so many of these people pretend to know things. Like probably about two or three times a week as I'm milling grain or shovelling out the mash at the end of lautering or whatever, people will watch me work and then talk to themselves about how those are hops because it's like the only ingredient in beer they know is hops. If I'm not too busy I try to educate people if they're interested and show them the raw materials and let them smell and touch them and try to leave them with a better understanding of brewing than they had when they came into the pub, but yeah, most people have no clue.

I'm a brewer and recently started brewing in a brewpub (not the sort of place that attracts beer nerds though) after nearly five years in production brewing and maybe it's because I'm not very used to interacting with the general drinking public, but I'm constantly amazed at how little people know about beer...which would be fine except for that so many of these people pretend to know things. Like probably about two or three times a week as I'm milling grain or shovelling out the mash at the end of lautering or whatever, people will watch me work and then talk to themselves about how those are hops because it's like the only ingredient in beer they know is hops. If I'm not too busy I try to educate people if they're interested and show them the raw materials and let them smell and touch them and try to leave them with a better understanding of brewing than they had when they came into the pub, but yeah, most people have no clue.

It won't be long before craft breweries have kids standing in line for no-wage apprentiships, just like tattoo parlors. :D

It won't be long before craft breweries have kids standing in line for no-wage apprentiships, just like tattoo parlors. :D

That's pretty much how things are already. Maybe not no-wage, but there are plenty of people willing to take shit wages because it's beer. And then half of them realise that brewing is actually industrial labour, about 80% of which consists of cleaning things, and then they quit and find something else to do.

@Graeme that's so cool! Sounds like a lot of hard work though, haha. It blows my mind that people think hops are the only tangible ingredient in beer. Also... vegans drinking beer, contradiction or no? Isn't there pig intestine somewhere in the filtration process?

That totally depends on the brewery. A lot of places use isinglass, which is made from fish swim bladders, as a clarification agent, but there are many other ways of clarifying beer, such as adding irish moss (carrageenan) to the kettle, dosing in PVPP (polyvinylpolypyrrolidone), silica xerogels or hydrogels, centrifuging, filtration though various media including diatomaceous earth, or paper or fabric cartridges. Usually various combinations of these are used. Isinglass is a bit difficult to work with, and there's a worldwide supply shortage of it at the moment which is making it expensive, so I think you'll see breweries looking for different ways of clarifying beer. Though I recently heard of a vegetable-derived isinglass that is just as effective, less expensive, and vegan-friendly. I haven't used it though.

That totally depends on the brewery. A lot of places use isinglass, which is made from fish swim bladders, as a clarification agent, but there are many other ways of clarifying beer, such as adding irish moss (carrageenan) to the kettle, dosing in PVPP (polyvinylpolypyrrolidone), silica xerogels or hydrogels, centrifuging, filtration though various media including diatomaceous earth, or paper or fabric cartridges. Usually various combinations of these are used. Isinglass is a bit difficult to work with, and there's a worldwide supply shortage of it at the moment which is making it expensive, so I think you'll see breweries looking for different ways of clarifying beer. Though I recently heard of a vegetable-derived isinglass that is just as effective, less expensive, and vegan-friendly. I haven't used it though.

Now that is really fascinating, thank you for sharing that! I had no idea making beer was such an intensive process. So now I have to ask, what is your favorite to make and to drink?

Now that is really fascinating, thank you for sharing that! I had no idea making beer was such an intensive process. So now I have to ask, what is your favorite to make and to drink?

All of that, I should add, are things that I've actually done in craft brewing so these super industrial processes aren't just for the huge macrobreweries. All that stuff about lovingly handcrafting small batches comes from the marketing people.

As for making beer, have you watched that Chad Koeplinger interview on here where he talks about that at the end of the day tattooing, regardless of what you are actually tattooing, comes down to lining and shading? I more or less feel that way about brewing. In the day to day work of brewing, the process for making an imperial stout that's going to be aged for months on oak is in reality not very different than making an adjunct-filled lager. I get more satisfaction out of doing my skilfully than out of brewing one particular style of beer.

I will always happily drink a Harpoon IPA.

All of that, I should add, are things that I've actually done in craft brewing so these super industrial processes aren't just for the huge macrobreweries. All that stuff about lovingly handcrafting small batches comes from the marketing people.

As for making beer, have you watched that Chad Koeplinger interview on here where he talks about that at the end of the day tattooing, regardless of what you are actually tattooing, comes down to lining and shading? I more or less feel that way about brewing. In the day to day work of brewing, the process for making an imperial stout that's going to be aged for months on oak is in reality not very different than making an adjunct-filled lager. I get more satisfaction out of doing my skilfully than out of brewing one particular style of beer.

I will always happily drink a Harpoon IPA.

Oh dear, marketing... a whole other conversation, haha.

Yeah! That was an awesome way to put it. Right on, it's pretty clear that you really like what you do. Were you always interested in brewing?