Whole arm is red and itchy

likou93

Hello everyone. I got my second piece on January 14, so it's been 3 days since I've had it done. I had a massive razor burn that day when I was shaving my arm, but went along with the process anyway. This is my arm right after tattooing

spacer.png

I feel like that razor burn area has become worse since. It has become very warm and itchy, even redder and a bit swollen. I continuously monitor my tattoo for any drainage or smells but I don't detect any. At the end of 3rd day it started to get a bit flaky but I'm really afraid of a serious allergy or infection. These are the images from the third day.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Any ideas if it is normal to have inflamed and itchy area near the tattoo at the end of day 3? When should I see a doctor if these problems don't subside? Thanks all!

Looks like an allergy to me.  I'm allergic to fabric softener, and that is exactly what my skin looks like when I'm exposed to it.  

That first picture after tattooing where its super red...  was it red like that before the artist started their work?  Tattooing on top already aggravated skin probably wasn't the best idea, but based on your followup picture it appears to be getting a little better.  Try taking a benadryl or something and see if the redness and itching gets better.  I've never had a tattoo look like that, and my itching never starts until the peeling phase.

Any medical advice you get from a forum could be bogus and likely won't put your mind at ease anyway.  I would talk to a doctor to rule anything bad out, and to put your mind at ease.