Whiskey Thread

gougetheeyes

I am partial to scotch, though, and it's dangerous territory that can suck up a lot of money quick. Top 3:

Highland Park 12 yr. From the Orkneys. It seems to combine everything I look for in a single malt: a little smokey, really smooth but still some bite. The 12 yr is great, tried the 15 and it is vastly different, not into it too much, but a lot mellower with more vanilla (I think, tried it a while back), bit more floral.

Talisker. YES. Strong and delicious. Pretty much top of my list, always.

Laphroaig, just the regular 10 yr. One of the most complex things you will ever taste. Smells like diesel, tastes like a dewy peat field on the clouds in heaven. Really peaty, but unbelievably smooth.

I always struggle with the whiskey versus whisky distinction (bad memory), but here goes-

Personally I'm a fan of the Islay distilleries. Started drinking Ardbeg and Bowmore late in college. Favourites in this vein would be the saltier, oiler offerings from Caol Ila and the real face-melters from Ardbeg like Supernova and Uigdeail.

At the moment I have a bottle of Uigdeail, a 15 year old Balvenie my girlfriend likes, a Lagavulin distillers edition (unopened) and (in the Irish vein) a 21 year old bottle of Jameson reserve. On my shopping list is a good Talisker and perhaps a Caol Ila cask strength.

When it comes to Irish distilleries I'd actually encourage everyone to just go with a Cooley Distilleries product, IMO they make hands-down the most consistent and authentic stuff and are the only remaining geuinely Irish-owned company as far as I'm aware. Connemara is a stand-out, peaty but not as harsh as the Islay distilleries. Kilbeggan is a cult classic, recently been cultivating a soft spot for it.

Recently I've been getting into Old Fashioneds and drinking more Bourbon. Not strictly whiskey obviously. I finished off a bottle of Maker's Mark a few days ago. Bit ubiquitous but it was a good price. Next up some Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek.

I like Canadian Club whiskey... It tastes good mixed with water (only way I drink whiskey) and well... it's Canadian hahaha... most bars in the USA don't have it (at least the one's I've been to don't)

I have no idea if it's scotch or single malt or any of that fancy shit.. I just know it tastes good and I likes it...

I hate, crown royal, jameison, jack daniels

I like Canadian Club whiskey...I hate, crown royal, jameison, jack daniels

Well these are all WILDLY different! Crown Royal is actually pretty good, I just hate the bottle. And Jameson is my go-to for rocks. Man, I can't wait to post more about single malts.. D/Rory, I will have to try Ardbeg Uigedail.. may even take a walk to the liquor emporium this evening!

Seriously, this is where I belong.

I just finished a bottle of Ardbeg Uigedail. Was quite wonderful.

I hope this thread will be full of drunken posts.

That must have cost you. That shit costs £51 a bottle in the UK.

Does it have a smokey flavour?

Well these are all WILDLY different! Crown Royal is actually pretty good, I just hate the bottle. And Jameson is my go-to for rocks. Man, I can't wait to post more about single malts.. D/Rory, I will have to try Ardbeg Uigedail.. may even take a walk to the liquor emporium this evening!

yeah i don't know shit about whiskey, i just know i don't like those ones!

Ever since I turned 21 and had a shot of Tully I've been hooked, and when I'm really itchin for a fight/ shenanigans I go for Makers Mark. I guess it all depends on my mood what I drink, I like Jameson but rarely drink it. Though my all time favorite has to have been the 12 yr old Tully my friend brought back from Ireland this last summer. Good lord... theres a picture some where of it.

69493_442079842622_558857622_5739587_7071595_n.jpg

"You ok?" ...... "Yep, just on fire..." "I'll take another please!" "but you just said..." "Yeah Give me another!"

Speaking of Laphroaig, as the lady was out and about in the shitty, and as I was coming home from a friend's place o' beers, decided to stop in at the local public house and partake in a glass. And ran into like 12 people I knew. Ok, it was 4. BUT STILL, best "nightcap" decision! (D, you're lucky I only had one or else this would be much longer and much sloppier..)

I'm gonna have to second or third Laphroaig, I like Islay whiskys the most. The 10 year is good, but I've also tried to quarter cask and that stuff was delicious. First time I bought it, I ended up finishing the bottle that night, very sauced. If I wanna change it up a little bit then I go for Glen Elgin, or if its just to wet my lips Black Label.

Speaking of Laphroaig, as the lady was out and about in the shitty, and as I was coming home from a friend's place o' beers, decided to stop in at the local public house and partake in a glass. And ran into like 12 people I knew. Ok, it was 4. BUT STILL, best "nightcap" decision! (D, you're lucky I only had one or else this would be much longer and much sloppier..)

You should have more and post on here so I'm not the only one who gets hammered and posts on message boards for fun.

Prices can be a funny thing. I notice a general parity in terms of price in the UK and Ireland by the bottle ... Around 50 pound or 60 euro for a 'good' Scotch. But then hop over to Spain and France and they may actually be cheaper again. Typically I buy my Scotch in the airports when I'm over in the UK- more for the selection they tend to have than the savings. Bourbon can be all over the place. I've seen Maker's Mark for sale here for 65 euro and then down the road for 37 euro.... I should have picked up some stuff coming back from the US last time I was over there, saw some Wild Turkey single barrell, 2 for something like 40 dollars.

Islay whiskeys definitley appear to be the ascendant, which says a lot about the changing perception of them now versus in the past. I read in an old whiskey miscellany that the Scots used to believe they were medicinal or 'outdoors' whiskey, too elemental to be drank indoors. I guess what appeals to me about them is the sheer weight of the smokiness. Something like Uigdeail tastes like a cross between engine oil, iodine and a burned down woodshed. Somehow that's a good thing...

A final recommendation on Irish whisky - How could I forgot Red Breast 12 year old....? Fantastic.