Whiskey Thread

gougetheeyes

Gentleman Jack is quite smooth but my go to is always:

Jim beam in a 350 bottle so i can drink it in public, because i love America.

I've been drinking less of it for a month or so after i forgot to eat all day, finished the bottle at 8, got lost in my neighbors attic, then woke up on my couch the next day and realized i lost a fight. And if i didn't lose i feel bad for the other guy cause it was pretty rough.

They make up with their female talent though!!!

Sweden certainly has some beautiful scenery. You've just got to be careful when you're travelling with your girlfriend.

The whiskey was called Mackmyra. It was about 48% and actually smelled kind of nice and floral... But even cut with water it seemed to have a really high-alcohol mouthfeel... Not the sort of oily, peaty, interesting robustness you might get with a potent islay whiskey - it was just more like a raw alcohol taste.

Afterwards I opted for the safe bet and went for a 16 year old Lagavulin. Hard to beat that, and the contrast was pretty remarkable. I know that's a bit like commenting that driving a BMW 5 series felt vastly superior to driving a Nissan Micra or something, but they cost me the same so I think from a punter's point of view it's a fair comment!

Interestingly they were selling the whiskeys by the 10ml, with a standard swedish measure seeming to run at 30ml - 40ml. It was costing me about 14 euro for a measure, which I guess would work out at 15-16 dollars. Not sure what you guys think of that, but here in Dublin I would reallistically expect to be paying at least 12-20 euro for a measure of 16 year old whiskey like the Lagavulin (in contrast, a blended whiskey like a Jameson or Paddy's might be a third of that).

• 3 weeks later...

There's a $1700 dollar bottle of Arbeg in the off-licence downstairs from our appartment. It comes in a special 'gun case', a log-book for noting measures and dates (to keep track of your ridiculously expensive whisky, I guess) with a pair of silver drinking cups....

If I won the lottery....

There's a $1700 dollar bottle of Arbeg in the off-licence downstairs from our appartment. It comes in a special 'gun case', a log-book for noting measures and dates (to keep track of your ridiculously expensive whisky, I guess) with a pair of silver drinking cups....

If I won the lottery....

Thats ok if you like the cheap stuff, I suppose.

How about some Dalmore Candela 50 Year Old, from Harrods at £12500.00. I bet that would be lovely with Pepsi.

• 2 weeks later...

@gougetheeyes --have you looked into any whisky clubs? Most individuals won't go in for a $200+ bottle but some clubs kind of buy in as a gro up so you can have tastings without the commitment to a bottle. Just a thought, might not be your vibe, I don't know.

I've been all about the Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig 10 (I find the 15 harsh and unbalanced.) lately. For a Speyside, the Glenfiddich 21, aged in a rum cask so it has a subtle rum finish.

Yamazaki, I'll take the 12 over the 15 -- still has that distinctly Japanese character but doesn't taste as much like wet straw.

Side note, the first time I drank whiskey, I was 14 or 15 and got served in a little bar in a small Pennsylvania coal town. If at 14/15, I got served and I've been drinking whisk(e)y ever since, you can imagine what a haggard bastard I am at 33. Ha.

@gougetheeyes --have you looked into any whisky clubs? Most individuals won't go in for a $200+ bottle but some clubs kind of buy in as a gro up so you can have tastings without the commitment to a bottle. Just a thought, might not be your vibe, I don't know.

I've been all about the Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig 10 (I find the 15 harsh and unbalanced.) lately. For a Speyside, the Glenfiddich 21, aged in a rum cask so it has a subtle rum finish.

Yamazaki, I'll take the 12 over the 15 -- still has that distinctly Japanese character but doesn't taste as much like wet straw.

Side note, the first time I drank whiskey, I was 14 or 15 and got served in a little bar in a small Pennsylvania coal town. If at 14/15, I got served and I've been drinking whisk(e)y ever since, you can imagine what a haggard bastard I am at 33. Ha.

I imagine that whiskey at 14 translates into meth at 25; basically you look wizened as fuck! Not into the club thing but you've got some good taste there. I've got a bottle of Yamazaki a friend gave to me, it's interesting, kind of light and floral, not too bad.

The first time I drank whiskey I was about 15. It was Christmas eve my parents were at a party and I was at my house with my new girlfriend and her friend.

I thought I would impress them by drinking half a bottle of VAT 69, straight down in one go. Half an hour later I was completely off my head and had to be put to bed. A while later I woke up feeling pretty bad. I puked into a bowl that had been left by the bed and then tipped it all over me. I just went back to sleep and when I woke up my hair was all matted with dried puke.

My hair looked like one of those guys from "Flock of Seagulls". I never touched a drop of Scotch for about 10 years after that.

first time i drank whiskey i was probably 12/13? My entire life every of age family member would order jack on the rocks at every meal it was sold. I honestly thought it was the only thing adults could drink for a while. Took like 3 gulps of a bottle, got scared my pops would figure out i was stealing his whiskey and put it back.

Even then I knew it would be trouble. hahaha