Tattoo infection

Jordanh1990

Hi, I'm after some advice if possible.  I got my first tattoo last last.  Had an 8 hr session on my outer forearm followed by another 6 hours the second day on my inner forearm.  I did use numbing cream (TKTX Black) and I think that's what's caused the problem.  First day was no problem at all. Second day I put the cream on my inner forearm an hour before, overlapping my tattoo from the previous day slightly to reduce pain when joining the 2 tattoos together.  Problems started when the artist attempted to wipe the cream off.  It actually took the top layer of skin off the fresh tattoo down both sides where I had overlapped.  Artist couldn't understand it.  Carried on anyways and completely the tattoo.  All fine for a few days then these areas that the skin had came on started scabbing badly and has ended up with an infection and now on antibiotics.  My question is, is it the cream that will have caused this and/or is there something else I have done wrong? Thanks in advance 

image.jpg

That doesn’t look good, I’m sure more experienced people than me can answer. If the tattoo overlaps then they really shouldn’t have been working on it until it healed I would have thought. You also say you put numbing cream on a 1 day old tattoo which is not good at all. I would guess the cream but can’t say for sure. Hopefully it heals up ok.

Edited by Simong

Unless the cream had bacteria in it, it can't cause an infection. The infection has to come from someplace. On the other hand, the artist wiped the cream off, a layer of skin came off with it, and they tattooed you anyway? That's really irresponsible, if you are describing what happened accurately. I'd find a new artist and quit using numbing cream. It looks like some sort of allergic reaction to the cream, but I'm not a doctor.

Tattoos hurt. I'm old school, but I think you should earn your tattoo. I've got hundreds of hours in the chair, lots of very sensitive parts tattooed and I've never used numbing cream.

Edited by Hogrider

The tattoo did not overlap the day before.  When I applied the cream on the second day, it was slightly over the day before's ink and that's where it's rubbed off.  The artist has said he thinks it's due to the cream and advised not to use it for my next visit.  I'm very happy with the tattoo itself apart from this issue so think next time I'll just need to man up and go old school 😂

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, HectorD said:

Hey bro, how is the tatoo looking now? 

Sadly I’m having the same experience, could you please let me know how did u solve this issue and how is looking now? 🙏🏼01765001-81BB-4979-AC67-5173A4573CDF.thumb.jpeg.e1a6beda103e55577a05e2fe320f2691.jpeg

Like @oboogie said, you’re drowning that poor tattoo. You are supposed to use just enough moisturizer to keep it from drying out, too little is better than too much. Or you could just dry heal, as @oboogie recommended. At this point, I’d give it at least one day with NOTHING on it.

Edited by Hogrider

• 3 weeks later...

My tattooist wouldn't tattoo me with numbing cream on as it can cause infection and leave you In more pain.

My tattooist went mental when I said I had used numbing cream and he point blankly refused to do my tattoo due to the problems it causes. 

I had the tattoo on the other arm and I'm still having side effects from the numbing cream on my arm it was put on at 08.30 this morning and my arm is still numb now at 17.40.

Keep your tattoo clean and avoid numbing cream 

• 1 year later...

You should always wait at least two weeks before continuing on the same tattoo. Make sure you let it heal completely before continuing which any tattoo artist would have or should have known that though. Im sorry you’re going through that. I’m dealing with the same type of issue except mine is on the inside of wrist and the person who did it went way to deep and was very heavy handed