Artist made a small mistake in my last tattoo

Asthma Inhaler Jim

Im making this thread for three reasons. 

01. just to vent my dissatisfaction with my newest tattoo 

02. to try and figure out if its my fault or the tattoo artists fault 

03. see if you guys think i should still go back this tattoo artist 

ill try to keep this post as short as i can without leaving out too much info. 

The mistake that was made was adding linework where there wasnt supposed to be any. 

heres a picture 

bulbtob.jpg.e2aad88ed2487ee295f7ca8bddb74402.jpg'

At first i wasnt bothered by it but i started to be because its not exactly accurate. 

I knew that detail might be overlooked and i thought about pointing it out to the artist before he began the tattoo but decided i didnt want to do anything to disrupt the process and trust that as a tattoo artist he would know to color it accordingly. this is the result. 

here are some details that should be considered when deciding if it was my fault or not. 

- i brought in a picture of the tattoo printed on paper for the size reference. my printer did a bad job at printing it so it came out like this. 

1873747737_badprintbulb.jpg.dcc1f6a370446d75971a34ce7cbe809b.jpg

I think the tattoo artist may have used the bad printout as the color reference. he possibly assumed the bad print left out a black outline in the characters eyes when there wasnt any to begin with. 

- right before the appointment through instagram i DM'd him a proper picture of the image i was getting tattooed. The reason i did so was for the color reference because the color on paper from my printer looked different than how it appears on a computer screen. 

- I brought up the difference in appearance of the printed image compared to how it looked on my phone/computer screen and he told me he was very familiar with this particular pokemon characters color. Im not sure if he used his memory for the color reference or if he used the bad printout i brought in. I know he did not use the image i DM'd him. 

So heres where im not sure if its my fault or not. Should i have brought in a better color reference? i wanted him to use the picture i DM'd him, i didnt think he would use the size reference i brought as the color reference. Should he have noticed that linework detail? Is it my fault for not bringing up what i knew was a non obvious detail that might be overlooked? 

I sent him a DM about a month later saying id just like to let him know that there was a small coloring mistake in the tattoo he gave me but that id still like to get tattooed by him in the future. I see he received the message but he didnt respond. 

Should i avoid going back to him? i think hes capable of giving good tattoos. hes given me one i like before but im not sure if me having to explain so much is normal? I kind of feel like it shouldnt be this hard to get a proper tattoo. 

What do you guys think? 

9 hours ago, Asthma Inhaler Jim said:

The mistake that was made was adding linework where there wasnt supposed to be any. 

heres a picture 

At first i wasnt bothered by it but i started to be because its not exactly accurate. 

I knew that detail might be overlooked and i thought about pointing it out to the artist before he began the tattoo but decided i didnt want to do anything to disrupt the process and trust that as a tattoo artist he would know to color it accordingly. this is the result. 

here are some details that should be considered when deciding if it was my fault or not. 

- i brought in a picture of the tattoo printed on paper for the size reference. my printer did a bad job at printing it so it came out like this. 

I think the tattoo artist may have used the bad printout as the color reference. he possibly assumed the bad print left out a black outline in the characters eyes when there wasnt any to begin with. 

- right before the appointment through instagram i DM'd him a proper picture of the image i was getting tattooed. The reason i did so was for the color reference because the color on paper from my printer looked different than how it appears on a computer screen. 

- I brought up the difference in appearance of the printed image compared to how it looked on my phone/computer screen and he told me he was very familiar with this particular pokemon characters color. Im not sure if he used his memory for the color reference or if he used the bad printout i brought in. I know he did not use the image i DM'd him. 

So heres where im not sure if its my fault or not. Should i have brought in a better color reference? i wanted him to use the picture i DM'd him, i didnt think he would use the size reference i brought as the color reference. Should he have noticed that linework detail? Is it my fault for not bringing up what i knew was a non obvious detail that might be overlooked? 

I sent him a DM about a month later saying id just like to let him know that there was a small coloring mistake in the tattoo he gave me but that id still like to get tattooed by him in the future. I see he received the message but he didnt respond. 

Should i avoid going back to him? i think hes capable of giving good tattoos. hes given me one i like before but im not sure if me having to explain so much is normal? I kind of feel like it shouldnt be this hard to get a proper tattoo. 

What do you guys think? 

I think this is 100% on you !   you approved it by not saying anything.

I knew that detail might be overlooked and i thought about pointing it out to the artist before he began the tattoo but ...

But nothing. It's YOUR job to make sure the artist knows what you want. If you think they might misunderstand, you need to be perfectly clear.

Should i have brought in a better color reference? Is it my fault for not bringing up what i knew was a non obvious detail that might be overlooked? 

If a detail is that important to you, then yes you should explicitly point it out. An artist isn't a Xerox machine.

I sent him a DM about a month later saying id just like to let him know that there was a small coloring mistake in the tattoo he gave me but that id still like to get tattooed by him in the future.

I don't think I'd bust someone's balls then go back to them.

The artist should show you the stencil before you start. It's YOUR job to point out anything you don't like about the stencil. Same if they draw directly on you. It's on you to make sure an artist knows if you expect an exact copy of the image on your skin. Never assume anything. If you do all that and it's not as you specified, THEN it's the artist's fault.

thanks for the replies. I should have pointed out that detail. im not sure if ill go back to him. its unfortunate because the artist was a cool guy and the first tattoo he gave me was probably the best tattoo experience ive had so far. 

im kind of discouraged because this is the 3rd tattoo ive had some dissatisfaction with. as far as tattoo win/loss record im 2 and 3. to me it kind of feels like its unnecessarily difficult to plan out every detail and prepare for every eventuality. Ive had a tattoo artist in the past get mad at me for what he says was me not trusting him enough so i suppose that maybe caused me to be too trusting this time. 

5 hours ago, Asthma Inhaler Jim said:

thanks for the replies. I should have pointed out that detail. im not sure if ill go back to him. its unfortunate because the artist was a cool guy and the first tattoo he gave me was probably the best tattoo experience ive had so far. 

im kind of discouraged because this is the 3rd tattoo ive had some dissatisfaction with. as far as tattoo win/loss record im 2 and 3. to me it kind of feels like its unnecessarily difficult to plan out every detail and prepare for every eventuality. Ive had a tattoo artist in the past get mad at me for what he says was me not trusting him enough so i suppose that maybe caused me to be too trusting this time. 

Tattoos are no different than anything else, you have to tell the other party what you're looking for. When you go to buy pants, you wouldn't just say, "I want pants." You'd specify style, size, color, boot cut, low rise, worn, and anything else you want. Same thing with a tattoo. If you want an exact representation of something I'd just say like, "I'm looking for someone that will do an exact representation of this image, is that something you're interested in?" Or, "I've got something really specific in mind, are you comfortable working within those parameters?" Or, "The last tattoo I got was really well done, but there were some additional lines added and the colors weren't as close to the original as I'd hoped. Are you comfortable working with that degree of specificity?" And then show him the image you provided and an image of the final tattoo.

My artist would thank me for considering him, would but suggest I go elsewhere. And I'm OK with that. I let him know at a really high level what I'm looking for and he's exceeded my expectations on every tattoo.

8 hours ago, Asthma Inhaler Jim said:

I think it’s natural that you feel like that but it sounds like you are looking for perfection. You would have to tell the artist down to the very detail everything has to be exactly the same as it is on your image. A lot of artists probably wouldn’t want that kind of hassle. For what it’s worth the eyes look fine, but I know it’s not how you wanted them. Maybe the artist thought it would look better with the black outline. If you were very concerned with it you would have to specify it to him before. I don’t think telling him he made a mistake will get you very far, he probably doesn’t even realise what you wanted. I think the artist generally knows what’s best as far as what will work, that’s their job after all.
I think it’s in all of us to look for perfection and second guessing things. I’ve just had a tattoo and have been questioning the shade and placement. Other people don’t look at our tattoos like we do, I can guarantee you next to nobody would even realise the eye issue. We stare at them all the time while other people only take a quick glance.

Edited by Simong

If you are going to obsess over details but are afraid to speak up about the lack of details on a stencil, then you really need to stop getting tattoos. Tattoos are NEVER PERFECT, even if you do speak up. I feel sure you'd have found something else you didn't like about it if he had gotten that right.

You cannot get tattoos if small imperfections are going to bother you. You just can't. So maybe don't get anymore tattoos for now?

• 8 months later...

I think there is always going to be artistic freedom. I have a tat or two that was not EXACTLY how I pictured it. But, the artist doing tats for 20 years on skin, knows what looks good, what works and what doesn't. There has to be trust in the process. I would leave it and enjoy it. If you go back to them, enjoy that too.

• 2 weeks later...

so I'm new here and I am not sure why I cant start a new thread but this is pretty much down the line of what I was going to ask, BUT far worse.

what if you went to your tattoo artist ( this is just an example, but on point) talked and texted before you went, sent references of your own and pics of similar kind of work the artist did. 
 Say you wanted a picture of Gandolf from lord of the rings and said yea give you artistic freedom to do what will look cool as long as it's Gandolf

and the guy tattooed an Orc on you!?   

7 hours ago, Cor5266 said:

so I'm new here and I am not sure why I cant start a new thread but this is pretty much down the line of what I was going to ask, BUT far worse.

what if you went to your tattoo artist ( this is just an example, but on point) talked and texted before you went, sent references of your own and pics of similar kind of work the artist did. 
 Say you wanted a picture of Gandolf from lord of the rings and said yea give you artistic freedom to do what will look cool as long as it's Gandolf

and the guy tattooed an Orc on you!?   

If something this ridiculous happened, then you didn't research your artist very well and that's on YOU. This is why you don't just walk into the first shop you see, grab the first person you see there with a tattoo machine and yell "INK ME!!!!"

If you do your homework, that would NEVER happen.

Edited by Hogrider

10 hours ago, Hogrider said:

If something this ridiculous happened, then you didn't research your artist very well and that's on YOU. This is why you don't just walk into the first shop you see, grab the first person you see there with a tattoo machine and yell "INK ME!!!!"

wow cupcake you SURE ARE making a WHOLE LOT OF ASSUMPTIONS there aren't you AND suffer from reading comprehension as well!?
lierallay from my first post - YO U KNOW the part you seemed to have SKIPPED!!!!!

"talked and texted before you went, sent references of your own and pics of similar kind of work the artist did. "

10 hours ago, Hogrider said:

OH and HOW the FOOG would "research" even prevent this from happening in your delusional world?  Please enlighten how one "researches" the prevention of asking for a corvette and the guy deciding to tattoo not a bad corvette but a pinto?   

5 minutes ago, Cor5266 said:

wow cupcake you SURE ARE making a WHOLE LOT OF ASSUMPTIONS there aren't you AND suffer from reading comprehension as well!?
lierallay from my first post - YO U KNOW the part you seemed to have SKIPPED!!!!!

"talked and texted before you went, sent references of your own and pics of similar kind of work the artist did. "

OH and HOW the FOOG would "research" even prevent this from happening in your delusional world?  Please enlighten how one "researches" the prevention of asking for a corvette and the guy deciding to tattoo not a bad corvette but a pinto?   

The new guy Being an ass hole to the long timers is not a good way to get help. We’re trying to educate you, you are trying to remain ignorant. You win!

3 hours ago, Cor5266 said:

So you don't want help? Got it. You are making yourself look very foolish. We can just block you and not help you if that's what you prefer.

You still didn't answer me. Did you look at the stencil?

On 11/8/2022 at 10:50 AM, oboogie said:

So you don't want help? Got it. You are making yourself look very foolish. We can just block you and not help you if that's what you prefer.

You still didn't answer me. Did you look at the stencil?

Oboogie
first HOW is it I'm making my self "foolihs"?   I asked a question with details which from your reponse DID NOT read!  And, You aren't offering help! you are saying that it is the fault of the guy who has ONE tattoo for trusting the guy who tattoos every single day for more than a decade AFTER

as you say - should have and DID research and there was a clear discussion on what the tattoo was supposed to be.

I' didnt think it was such a complicated question to answer, but apperantly it is! 

Hogrider   only one being a A hole here is the guy who OBVIOUSLY did not read the post where it CLEARLY states that research was done, discussions both in writing and phone were done about what the tattoo was supposed to be!! 

do you want me to cut and past the original again!!??

and blaming the newbie instead of giving an honest and direct answer to a question!   Oh and while you are at it please try and explain how it is that I am trying to stay ignorant when I asked a simple and direct question? 

Lets pretend it's you  -  your user name is Hogrider -  assume that refers to harleys,  
You love them!   And you go to a tattoo shop and after looking at the tattoo artists work of other harley tattoos, texting him back and forth and talking to him on the phone   

You agree that you want a 1939 knucklehead.    tell the guy since he is the tattoo artist he has freedom to pick pose and color so that it looks the best.  He shows you a stencil - which even (what ever you think of the show and the artist ect YOU HAVE TO ADMIT are) people who tattoo for a living EVERY DAY and see often multiple times a day have a hard time with interpreting sometime 

after sitting for 12 hours  you turn around and find that you GOT A REALLY REALLY COOL 2008 Suziki hayabusa.  

What responsibility does the tattoo artist have?  would you tell you to just "remain ignorant"

On 2/5/2022 at 11:31 PM, Asthma Inhaler Jim said:

heres a picture 

What do you guys think? 

I think your artist did a good job,it looks like Bulbasaur and if you hadn't pointed out the outline I wouldn't have noticed.   I might ask your artist  to make the body spots darker to look more like the original and for more contrast.

Edited by Blue Tattoo

On 11/14/2022 at 10:55 AM, oboogie said:

DID YOU LOOK AT THE STENCIL? if you can't answer that question, I'll block you and move on.

yes I looked at the stencil  - and no I am not an artist, I trusted that the layers of lines was what we discussed.  

NOW can YOU answer the question.   or are you just going to keep blaming me?

Yes. Because you look at the stencil, and you approved it.

Frankly, nothing you are saying makes sense. If you can't tell that he is about to tattoo an entirely different character from LOTR on you from the stencil, then no one here can help you. Moving you to my ignore list. Bye now. 🤣

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Shaheen said:

Hi everyone, i got a tattoo 2 months a go and i does not take care of it in the starting day so my scabs gets wett and the wounds bubbled up in two tree days. So i was very upset ten i start searc on internet for healing it and i found an article about tattoo bubbling so i read it and apply all the methods they shown me . and ow my tattoo are fully heald and vibrent.

WTF ?  

Edited by Dan

• 2 months later...