Questions about getting a custom tattoo designed

Asthma Inhaler Jim

i have two questions/requests for this thread. 

on march 1st a tattoo artist i like's books are opening and im going to send him an initial email to potentially get a tattoo designed by him. 
i have a specific video game character in mind. im going to send him pictures of it for a basis of what id like its position to be like in the design. im telling him where i want the tattoo placed, its size, and around how much money id like to spend on it. Im also going to send the artist pictures of tattoos that he has done as examples of what kind of style i want my design in.

do you think meeting him for an in person consultation is a must? i suppose it might be faster and easier to talk about what i would and wouldnt like as far as the design goes. I dont want to cut corners as far as doing everything i can to make sure the tattoo comes out how i want but i cant think of what i can do through an in person consultation that i cant do through email. 

also, is there anything you believe one might not think of that i should consider when preparing a custom tattoo design? in the past ive regretfully gotten tattoos in non traditional orientation because i just never would have thought about asking about it. I sometimes think that if i had made a thread asking about possible things one might not consider when getting a tattoo then someone may have mentioned that traditional tattoo orientation exists and i would have gotten tattooed the way i wanted. which is partially why im making this thread. 

so if there is anything at all that you believe one might not think about considering when preparing a custom tattoo design please post it in this thread. thanks. 

What do you think is "custom" about handing him a picture and telling him I want this image, this size, right here? You're not asking for a custom design, you're asking him to copy an existing image. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not a "custom" design.

Given how unhappy you were with your last tattoo, I'd just be really specific about what you are looking for. You can go back and read my answer to your last thread if you're interested.

thanks for the replies 

20 hours ago, Hogrider said:

What do you think is "custom" about handing him a picture and telling him I want this image, this size, right here? You're not asking for a custom design, you're asking him to copy an existing image. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not a "custom" design.

Given how unhappy you were with your last tattoo, I'd just be really specific about what you are looking for. You can go back and read my answer to your last thread if you're interested.

its not a particular image i want the tattoo artist to make an exact copy of but rather a character i have in mind that i want drawn in the tattoo artists style and in a pose that he chooses to draw him in. With some restrictions of course. e.g i dont want the character to be on all fours. id rather him be sitting or standing upright on two legs. i also considered suggesting he draw the character eating something. etc. 

8 hours ago, SStu said:

Why wouldn't you want to meet with him/her - Are you out of town?

Does this artist normally do cartoon style images?

i do live about an hour away from where the tattoo artist works. I suppose if i was nearer to him i wouldnt question if i should meet with him in person first or not. 

He does usually do cartoon, video game style images. Here is his instagram if anyone is interested in seeing some of his work. He does some pretty amazing stuff IMO. 

Doom (@brandoom) • Instagram photos and videos

heres three tattoos of his i really like that hes done. 
bransmall.jpg.668bace96402b33dad8714181f69591a.jpg

Edited by Asthma Inhaler Jim