Need an opinion on this Tattoo artist (Black and grey Realism)

tattoomemomo

I have been looking to get sleeve work done in black and grey realism by a quality artist and found an artist who I like but I am not sure if I have a good eye for quality artists yet as I am still new to this. (first tattoo)

The artist: https://www.instagram.com/michaelperryart/

Where would on artist like this fall into in terms of quality? 

- Please be brutally honest as I am looking for top notch quality artists to get this sleeve done (dont care about price) 

I'd want to see some of their tattoos in person. Also, take a close look at anything with actual lines; to me, the lines look wobbly, especially in any of the circles and webs.Also, I think a lot of them look very dark and monochromatic; I'd be concerned with how they will hold up over time.

Just one man's opinion. 

5 hours ago, Hogrider said:

I'd want to see some of their tattoos in person. Also, take a close look at anything with actual lines; to me, the lines look wobbly, especially in any of the circles and webs.Also, I think a lot of them look very dark and monochromatic; I'd be concerned with how they will hold up over time.

Just one man's opinion. 

What he said. Those photos look altered and very curated. They must not look so great if they have to edit them that much. Look somewhere else.

8 hours ago, Hogrider said:

Just one man's opinion. 

Can you provide an example of what a good artist that does black and grey realism look like? so I can have some kind of reference?

I did find another

https://www.instagram.com/darwinenriquez/

Realism is tough because it can look great when it's just finished and look like a washed out dishrag 2 years later if the artist doesn't know how to get it in there good. Finding well finished work for your review is the best test of stamina. Filtered pictures can be misleading. 

12 hours ago, tattoomemomo said:

Can you provide an example of what a good artist that does black and grey realism look like? so I can have some kind of reference?

I did find another

https://www.instagram.com/darwinenriquez/

Look up Shane O’Neil. Or watch a season or two of Ink Master. NOT because they are all great artists, because they have some awful ones, but because the critique’s will show you how to tell a good tattoo from a bad tattoo.

And congratulations for doing your homework instead of rushing out to the first shop you find to get a tattoo. Good artists aren’t cheap and they are usually booked well in advance but it’s worth the money and the wait.

Edited by Hogrider

15 hours ago, Hogrider said:

Look up Shane O’Neil. Or watch a season or two of Ink Master. NOT because they are all great artists, because they have some awful ones, but because the critique’s will show you how to tell a good tattoo from a bad tattoo.

And congratulations for doing your homework instead of rushing out to the first shop you find to get a tattoo. Good artists aren’t cheap and they are usually booked well in advance but it’s worth the money and the wait.

What is funny is I actually noticed the shaky line work when michael perry did some circles or line work, I think what I liked was his overall imagery and creatism. Im my opinion It looks better than the shane guy you posted.

I will keep searching though. I just find it hard to find a GOOD artist that wants to do what I like. I litteraly go on instagram pages or artists in my area (hell even sometimes out of the states) and ahh still have this issue. I dont know if its just because its my first tattoo and I have weird expectations?

Edited by tattoomemomo