Psychology of Tattoos

Misfit

At first I started getting them because I was a punk rocker and wanted to be ”hardcore” and didn’t want people to fuck with me. So I got mostly punk rock album art as tattoos which I felt worked well for me. It also feels more natural to me to be tattooed so there is that as well.

I was once asked by my uncle why my whole body is tattooed and in a moment of honestly I told him it was because I was uncomfortable in my skin and wanted to cover it up. I have always had a lot of moles and thought that if I tattooed my skin no one would be able to notice all the moles I have and it would be less stressful for me mentally.

I also have a problem with being anti-social and felt it would keep most people away from me, which it does, and is also a psychological manipulation on my part.

I have grown up and don’t need to get tattooed for these reasons anymore as I am comfortable with myself now, but was wondering if anyone has thought about the psychological reason for their tattoos.

First post and I hope it is something others would be interested in.

I think about the same thing and while it's different for everybody I always come back to the big common thread between cultures, past and present, and the significance placed upon tattoos. There's been some discussion here about it if you poke around. People have given me answers but it's never enough, so I doubt the question of why will ever be truly answered. Human experience, a crazy thing.

growing up a punk living in the south during the 80's wasn't really accepted so i guess i've always rejected the heard mentality and society in general. tattoos seemed like the most nature progression and a way of choosing my own path. my life my way

I think about the same thing and while it's different for everybody I always come back to the big common thread between cultures, past and present, and the significance placed upon tattoos. There's been some discussion here about it if you poke around. People have given me answers but it's never enough, so I doubt the question of why will ever be truly answered. Human experience, a crazy thing.

Thanks for the reply and I agree.

growing up a punk living in the south during the 80's wasn't really accepted so i guess i've always rejected the heard mentality and society in general. tattoos seemed like the most nature progression and a way of choosing my own path. my life my way

I reject almost everything society has to offer. I do just fine on my own.