I am moving to Toronto next year, and want to begin a full body Japanese suit.

Could anybody recommend me artists in Canada/the U.S. who tattoo traditionally? I am very willing/eager to travel, and expense is not an issue, I am after quality work. I have done some research but would like another's opinion, thank you!

There are many people who will give you and awesome Japanese style tattoo but if you're after the 'real deal' in the US, try:

Shinji (Horizakura) in NYC.

Horiken and Horitomo in San Jose.

I'm not 100% sure if the guys in San Jose tattoo by hand regularly, but I know Shinji outlines with machine and shades/colours by hand.

There may be more, but those guys are awesome and immediately spring to mind.

I live in Toronto and as far as I know there is no one doing Japanese work by hand. The one guy I knew who did really amazing Japanese by machine has just moved to New Zealand. If you ever change your mind and decide to go with traditional american style of tattooing I would recommend TCB tattoo on Queen St West. There is a guy there named Andreas who may know of someone who could do the Japanese work you're after.

If price and travel really isn't an issue though I very heavily second Stewarts recommendations.

There are many people who will give you and awesome Japanese style tattoo but if you're after the 'real deal' in the US, try:

Shinji (Horizakura) in NYC.

Horiken and Horitomo in San Jose.

I'm not 100% sure if the guys in San Jose tattoo by hand regularly, but I know Shinji outlines with machine and shades/colours by hand.

There may be more, but those guys are awesome and immediately spring to mind.

Yep, Horitomo and Horiken regularly shade by hand. Horitomo gave me the option of tebori (hand shading) or machine on my left arm. I went with tebori, of course! Not many opportunities like that, so I wasn't gonna let it pass me by.

Do you mean tebori?Or do you mean artists who do traditional style japanese work?These artists don't do tebori,but are excellent traditional asian tattooers.

Bill & Daniel- Pearl Harbor Gift Shop - Toronto Canada Dave Cummings@ PSC Tattoo Dan- http://inkmantattoo.com/ http://redtailedink.com/ Kaz is from Japan.

He has a private studio in NYC. Rodrigo & David@ Welcome to North Star Tattoo João Paulo Rodrigues http://www.zamtattoo.com/

Aja@ House of Colour KiKU REGINO GONZALES - NYC - INK Matt & Mike@ Kings Avenue

I think if I were in Toronto and starting over I would definitely consider the guys at the Pearl Harbour Gift Shop, mentioned above by bigjoe.... I called in there when I was in town a couple of months ago - great set-up, and a really good 'take' on Japanese style, IMO.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any tattoos currently? If not, I'll caution you that you're in for a fantastic ride, but also one that will be very (very!) expensive and trying. But I applaud you for your lofty goal and wish you the best of luck achieving it.

I got a traditional gypsy tattooed on my stomach when I was 16, but began to regret it as I rushed into it and realized I would cover it up later, since then I've been waiting to find the right artist to take such a journey with! Expense isn't an issue, I will be spending any sort of money I had saved for college or university on this as I am lucky enough to have fallen into a job that can support both.

Thank you everybody for the replies, I have bookmarked every artist's site!

I am not specifically looking for artists who practice Tebori, but artists who simply respect the tradition, Tebori would be great though.

I'm not sure if the people stewart mentioned in his first post are from the shop i'm about to mention but in San Jose there is a shop called State Of Grace where all the artists specialize in japanese tattooing. You can find their website at Horitaka's State of Grace They put on one of the best conventions in the USA and come highly recommended by many of the top tattoo artists in the country.

I'm not sure if the people stewart mentioned in his first post are from the shop i'm about to mention but in San Jose there is a shop called State Of Grace where all the artists specialize in japanese tattooing. You can find their website at Horitaka's State of Grace They put on one of the best conventions in the USA and come highly recommended by many of the top tattoo artists in the country.

yup, Horitomo and Horiken both work at State of Grace, very talented team over there. And i can confirm they do tebori, i went there couple weeks ago to pick up a Shige tee and saw a customer being hand-poked. so awesome.

• 9 months later...

Does this style of tattooing take twice as long and cost twice as much as getting a tattoo by machine?

I thought about getting a 3/4 sleeve by Shinji. I've had consultations with Shinji and he's a real cool dude, but now I am having second thoughts. I've saved about $4,000 to get a sleeve by machine but tebori will cost twice as much? Thanks!