Amy Winehouse

ShawnPorter

Wow, its strange to read this post, having been absent from the forum. As someone who has been sober for a while, regularly attending AA and NA meetings etc. I have seen this deadly destruction, and walked behind the coffins far to often. For the past few weeks we had an active alcoholic stay with us. He was homeless and coming to meetings twice a day trying to get sober. He has a history of alcoholic seizures so we got him into the local hospital to detox, and he stayed with us for a while until he got into a rehab program. Its a deadly disease, and Amy's death carries a strong message. I just wish the world would pay more attention to the nameless thousands who die with nothing.

I completely agree. This comment I saw on facebook made me really disgusted:

"Sorry, the girl was a train wreck before she was famous. if she had never become famous we would have been just a statistic..instead they call her 'suspected overdose' a tragedy. I haven't much compassion for those who don't even try...stepping off my moral high horse..."

It wasn't from one of my friends but a friend's friend who commented after me on a status update. Those who don't even try? Did you know her? Despite the song lyrics from what I understand she did go to rehab and she was trying. The "I don't have much compassion" and the "moral high horse" pisses me off.

Well, I have compassion. I consider any death of a troubled young person addicted to drugs to be a tragedy, famous or not. I was hoping she would get her shit together and have a comeback. I am sober and am always routing for others with a problem to help themselves.