I blew my chances with a tattoo artist i wanted to get tattooed by.

So i did an in person consultation with a tattoo artist and made an appointment with him. During the two months leading up to the appointment i remembered a few things i forgot to mention during our in person consultation. Long story short, after sending him one too many emails the tattoo artist sent me an email saying that he feels i dont trust him enough and that im micromanaging the tattoo design so he doesnt want to do it anymore. 

On the plus side he said he would refund me my deposit and at least this time i didnt end up with a tattoo that i have regrets about. On the down side of things i feel bad because i had been planning this tattoo since january. i really like his individual style and im not sure if hell ever consider letting me book him again. 

I just wanted to express my thoughts on the subject. I seem to have a problem with finding a balance between speaking up at all and speaking up too much about things. I sent him an email asking if maybe he would change his mind but not sure if he will consider it. 

My advice would be to think it through before the consultation. If you want changes, think them through and send a single email. A good tattoo artist is busy. What if all their clients sent multiple emails?

Yes, you should get the tattoo you want, but you also need to trust your artist. For my first sleeve I said, “Japanese, anything you want.” It turned out great. Same with my back. All my other work I threw out ideas, but what he came up with was way better than I imagined.

8 hours ago, Hogrider said:

My advice would be to think it through before the consultation. If you want changes, think them through and send a single email. A good tattoo artist is busy. What if all their clients sent multiple emails?

Yes, you should get the tattoo you want, but you also need to trust your artist. For my first sleeve I said, “Japanese, anything you want.” It turned out great. Same with my back. All my other work I threw out ideas, but what he came up with was way better than I imagined.

Same. If I trust the artist (and I do trust the guy who has done 99% of my tattoos), tell him roughly what you want and let them do their thing. Micromanaging a talented artist is gross, and you will end up annoying the artist like you did this person.

Hope you can find someone else to tattoo you. Good luck.

Edited by oboogie

On 6/13/2022 at 7:44 AM, Asthma Inhaler Jim said:

So i did an in person consultation with a tattoo artist and made an appointment with him. During the two months leading up to the appointment i remembered a few things i forgot to mention during our in person consultation. Long story short, after sending him one too many emails the tattoo artist sent me an email saying that he feels i dont trust him enough and that im micromanaging the tattoo design so he doesnt want to do it anymore. 

On the plus side he said he would refund me my deposit and at least this time i didnt end up with a tattoo that i have regrets about. On the down side of things i feel bad because i had been planning this tattoo since january. i really like his individual style and im not sure if hell ever consider letting me book him again. 

I just wanted to express my thoughts on the subject. I seem to have a problem with finding a balance between speaking up at all and speaking up too much about things. I sent him an email asking if maybe he would change his mind but not sure if he will consider it. 

As the others have said it’s fine too get what you want but you need to tell the Tattoo artist and let them do there thing. It’s fine to make a few changes but how many times did you contact them, I’m guessing at some point it became too much. The thing is the artist knows what they are doing so what they come up with is usually better than anything we come up with ourselves, not always but the more free reign the artist has the better the tattoo ends up. I hope you do manage to get the tattoo you want. 

• 1 year later...

Hey guys. Long time no post. Heres an update to this thread. I finally found another artist i liked and got the tattoo i wanted. Check it out. 🙂

I actually was aware of the artist for quite some time but it took me a while to finally be able to make an appointment with them. 

Its a tattoo of the character Morpeko from Pokemon. 

morpekotattoo2.jpg

Edited by Asthma Inhaler Jim