Cat Pictures

jade1955

Oh, I think they'd be gay out in the 'free world', too. It's all good; I inherited an older female long-haired calico from my ex and she used to have such disdain for them. Now she grooms and tolerates them. But I don't think we could have another female cat.

We've also inherited a neighborhood stray female and we're currently trying to run off a tabby male who's been coming around (because he's intact, he likes to spray stuff with piss, which I can't deal with). Both them are outside and will stay that way. They take care of our field mice, which is nice.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thought I'd post this here, since some of you are familiar with her from Instagram and also my profile pic... my beautiful, beloved 12 1/2 year old Abyssinian cat, Anthea, passed away while I was on vacation a couple weeks ago. The cat-sitter called me with the news, she came to feed the cats and found her lying on the laundry room floor, as if on her way to the litter box. :-( Anthea loved being in my lap and would follow me from room to room. When in my lap on the couch, she would put her little paw on my face and sometimes give me "the claw" if I stopped petting her. It took @DJDeepFried 4-5 years before she finally let him pet her. While she wasn't fond of most people, she was always good with our daughter. In the past year or 2 she had lost weight and was throwing up a lot. I took her to 2 vets who found nothing wrong, basically saying she had developed a sensitive stomach. I switched to special food and really expected her to live a longer life. Anyway, I think and hope her life was pretty good with me. We loved each other. We still have our 3-year old black kitty, Aurora. She is helping w/the grieving process.

Here are some pics of her. The fourth one is kind of blurry, but it shows the day last year -after me and dj had been together ~10 years- Anthea went in his lap for the first time! We were excited.

I'm sorry about Anthea.

I love kitties. My husband isn't much of a cat person..not like me and my craziness. Our first cat together was a stray that showed up at his place out in the country, hiding in the barn/garage from they coyotes. Friendly as all get out. It was winter and we'd open up the door and find the cat balanced on the ledge where the screen had gotten knocked out like hey hey lookit me! He was going out hunting one day and said if the dogs would accept the cat, he would keep it. (we didn't live together) He came home to find me curled up on the couch w/the cat and all three pit bulls. She ruled the roost from day one. We had her 11 years and had to have her put to sleep two years ago b/c of her health. Bella was a tortoiseshell. We got a tortie kitten from my parents, Britta, after we got married, and she's about 11 now too..crabby ole lady. Bella and Britta used to fight-Bella would wrap her front legs around Britta's neck, pick her up and body slam her to the ground. We have a grey and white female, Opilio, who is obsessed w/our daughter, but can't be bothered w/the rest of us. Last November I got another tortie from a shelter. I needed her and she needed me. Losing Bella left such a hole in my heart. So, I got her, named her Clementine Isabelle, and just completely adore her. My husband was angry, but all it took was the first time she jumped up on his lap and sprawled out on him, kneading her paws in his beard, and he was in love with her too.

At the last count as well as two dogs, we've got five cats, which is really a few too many, but it's not all our fault - one or two of the cats are technically strays that decided to move in. :confused:

Still I've always liked this photo, taken about 8 years ago now. The big one was called Tiny, and we got him from the rescue centre when he was about 17. He was supposed to be a committed "outdoors only" cat - the Centre had changed their policy and weren't going to let any of the animals roam about any more. They were all going to be confined to pens, so they wanted to rehome the old man to somewhere he could get fed, but just live outside. Hmmm. From the day we took him home, he never ventured out of the house for more than about 10 minutes at a time. He was virtually blind, and entirely deaf, but as you can see he was quite long suffering with the homeless kitten that we "adopted" a couple of months after his arrival. That's another story though.

Tiny passed on maybe a year after that, but Lara the kitten is still going strong!

CNV00085-L.jpg

• 2 years later...