Technically my first tattoo was at 17, in the woods behind a Burger King, with some chick that liked me. We were wasted and she got this bright idea that she could tattoo me with a needle and a bottle of Testors ink. She poked a tiny cross into my forearm. It didn't last very long, i think about a year before it completely faded.

Me being a dumbass didn't help any, i thought if you picked the scab off it would help it last longer. The scar lasted longer than the ink. :p

Took over 20 years till i went and got a real one:

164696_484917881772_675241772_6209000_1461314_n_thumb.jpg

My first tattoos were matching tribal thingies on my hips. I was 16 years old, without parental consent. The tattooer asked how old I was, I said 16, his reply: "well guess what today is your 18th birthday!" 4 years later I got them covered with a rose with wings. That tattoo is now 7 years old, pretty faded and needs some re-doing but it's still better than the original ones.

My second tattoo, done by the first guy's apprentice a few months later, is a tribalish lizard that covers my whole foot and ankle. And it's all black. It looks like it's 50 years old, and not in a good way. I am planning on getting laser removal and then covering it, but who knows, I may end up never doing that.

My first was done when I was 18 by a guy who had no reputation other than being an airbrush artist and tattooed as well. Real old school shit (not the best quality sadly) but I didn't know any better and didn't look around, handed him a reference and said I want a half sleeve. Thankfully he only did the front half, but unfortunately it was shit quality with heavy purple that was hard to rework. It's been reworked by another guy and connected to the inner bicep and looks bearable, but the purple was too hard to rework so it's still obvious to me. The anatomys a little off too, but whatever you live and learn.

Side note: in 7th grade me and a friend thought it'd be cool carve " I (heart) (girlfriends name)" into our skin. Mines on my hand, it's barely visible, but it makes me laugh. I'm still close friends with that girl too. Man, we were (are) retarded.

My first tattoo was done just after my 21st birthday. It was the Greek alphabet done in a band around my left bicep. It was done in an Hell's Angels parlour and my girlfriend at the time didn't want me to get it done. I was sat in the chair, about 30 minutes in when my girlfriend calls me up to tell me she's had a minor car accident. She heard the buzzing of the tattoo machine and forgot about her minor "ding" on the road. She didn't speak to me for a week after.

My first tattoo was a taz holding and axe and my name. The reason for the piece was I was a fireman and that was the department logo. I had a friend draw it and the guy who did it had only done a handful of tattoos before me. It was on my back and the only mistake (besides being a tax) was me putting my name under the tattoo. Not sure why I needed my name there, I guess I figured if I forgot it I could look at my back?????? Was young and dumb!!!! Good thing now is it's being covered up in a large piece.

• 1 year later...
The wait is over. I finally got my first tattoo. At 46, it seems a bit odd but for the last several months, I have wanted to do this as much as anything. So I did some research and decided on Pepper at No Hard Feelings Tattoo in Coral Springs, FL. She does absolutely beautiful work and super easy to work with. The consultation was perfect. She caught on to what I was trying to tell her right away and her drawing was exactly what I told her I wanted. I got the tattoo last night. It took about 4 hours and it was great. Pepper is really pleasant and easy to get along with. I cant say enough nice things about her and the experience. My tattoo isnt for everyone but it is definitely for me.

Check it out.

DSC_0014.jpg

This is gorgeous. I love it. Congratulations on a stunning first tattoo.

• 2 weeks later...

I have wanted tattoos for years but I had this overwhelming fear of getting something and then hating it 10yrs down the road. Two yrs ago I took my 77yr old Nanna on her dream trip to Hawaii. One day I took the afternoon alone and went on an adventure to find the royal birthing stones. All by myself surrounded by earth as red as blood dying my feet and rain clouds over head I found them. I sat down in awe of the whole scene when a small break came in the clouds. As the sunlight hit the stones it highlighted these petroglyph's of turtles etched deep in the stones. I can have what I ( as a non religious person) can call a purely spiritual moment. I cried like I have never cried before. By the end of experience I felt completley refeshed and more at peace than I have ever been at any other time in my life. As soon as I got home I got my first tattoo on my wrist. A turtle for each of us exactly like the ones I saw on the birthing stones, and a flower for the islands now so dear to my heart

I'll play

409977147_photobucket_61242_.jpg

this was connected to a tribal wristband that's long covered- done in 1995...I got it because the piercer was out that day haha

BEST EXCUSE EVER! lol

My first was when I was 15 and wanted a tatt. It's a black rose that looks stenciled onto my upper left butt cheek. really crappy but no point regretting it because it's what I wanted at the time. It really made me appreciate body art but I haven't had enough cash until now.

I got my first piece in remembrance of my brother. He hung himself in 2010 in a small TX town.. He was terminally ill and dying slowly and painfully.. It was somewhat ironic he chose to hang himself as he had huge barbed wire noose tattooed around his neck.. He had many tattoos, some professional and some from prison.. Including him I have two brothers and two sister.. Him dead at 37 and a sister dead at 17. He was adopted and she was my step sister.. My other brother and sister are halves.. My adopted brother and were closer then the others combined, I won't bore you guys with that..

But Heath was wide open in everything he did.. 'Laugh now cry later' was his favorite saying, he truly lived with no regrets, maybe he had a few at the end.. So I got the drama masks as skulls on my left fore arm with banners that read 'brothers forever'. I've lost a lot of close friends and family in my short time and my left arm is dedicated to them, save for my ditch tiger.. All the ink on my left arm is my remembrance of them, some straight forward, some subtle... He is the reason I've always been fascinated with tattoos..

For me, each tattoo feels like the first because of its meaning, even though I'm talking it up with ray while he does his thing, in my mind I'm thinking about getting my first tattoo..

I'm not one to get something just because it 'looks cool', for now all my work will have meaning, even if its just a piece of flash like I'm planning on for Sunday.. Maybe once I catch up with the memories I'll start getting some things 'just because..' Anyways, there ya have it.

1974, just days after I turned 18. Skinny, long-haired rock-n-roller.

In some name-unknown parlor on Chippewa Street in Buffalo, NY (which at the time was skid row = Junkies, Prostitutes, rank bars and tattoo parlors). Flash from the wall.

As with the times, I don't remember much if any of the experience.

Here's what's left of it:

snake_zps08ba6b00.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My 1st one is about 2 layers down in cover-ups. I got it in 1977 when I was 22, very recently married. It was 2 hearts and a banner with my wife's name and my name in the banner... which I know now is a hex on a marriage or relationship.

I got it at S&W Tattooing in Amityville, NY. Walter was the artist and he slapped it on me in about 20 minutes for $25. This was the type of shop that had a line out the door on any Friday or Saturday night, 100% walkins. The actual tattoo was very good and had great color.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name=John Leijtens;76136. My first was in 1997 @ Needle Art Tattoo in Breda' date=' Holland by Tattoo Jan. It was a walk-in, hours long wait, flash off the wall kind of thing.

Since then I got it Re-done by my current artist :p[/quote]

Great re-do. I loved the old shops with flash all over the wall. Really had a visual appeal, at least to me.

Rob

I was fifteen and went to this guy's place with a friend and he tattooed a small cross on my ankle. Hadn't even met the guy ever before, obviously I didn't have any instinct of self preservation back then but luckily he was okay. Don't have a pic and finally getting a cover up on it later this year!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...