Your thoughts on American Tattooers doing tebori

Before a few years i ve read an article speaking about japanese tattooing tradition.Ed Hardy did the foreward of this article and what he exactly said is:its all matter of tradition,if you dont have at the end you "imitate",which for me it is not always bad.Thinking of these i have to say that tradition in any subject puts limits,you do a lot of things and you even think in a certain way which comes from tradition.What i mean is that a western guy (in general-except horikitsune and if someone else like him exchists)at the end of the day the feeling will be that he did something..experimental but a japanese or a guy from borneo or whatever at the end of the day he maybe gonna have the feeling that he just did the job the right way.

That's correct, working within tradition will keep you within those limits. I know of some tattoo artists coming to japan and studying the Japanese way of tattooing, they didn't take it as far as horikitsune though. They still create great tattoos, just not with the knowing all the rules that come with tradition. It's all a mater of choice though. I like their tattoos but think they look to... busy.

Does anyone know how Trevino got his honorific "Horimana"?

He taught himself Japanese, and moved out to Japan and apprenticed under Horiyoshi III for a while. I want to say he is the first non-Japanese person to ever apprentice and receive a title with "Hori". He still goes out to Three Tides to guest spot and tattoos @ Perfection Tattoo. He is a super cool dude, his shop was one of the first my friend took me to when i was 19 outside of Houston.

...and apprenticed under Horiyoshi III for a while. I want to say he is the first non-Japanese person to ever apprentice and receive a title with "Hori".

He didn't apprentice under Horiyoshi III. Horiyoshi did figure out a name for him, based on his parents initials.

Also Alex Reinke (Horikitsune) was, and still is Horiyoshi III's apprentice.

Jill's book "Studying Horiyoshi III" is interesting on that front as well as having great photos of in-progress Horiyoshi tattoos.

Many westerners have Hori* names but not many got them from Horiyoshi III.

• 2 weeks later...

Richard: "Chris was given that name out in Japan but it has a double meaning... It's one who flies close to the sun... or something, like you can fly near the stars but never truly be... I dunno, I have heard that from a few people, but I think Chris is one of the hardest working, internally driven artists to hail from Texas. . . Or even this hemisphere... so **** those *******."

I would like to Quote Bob Roberts...

"I'd rather be a first rate Bob Roberts, then a second rate Nakano."

Either way I give it up to anyone whom displaces themselves in order to undertake the traditions, and learn the protocol for anything they love or are interested in. It's good to see, and it's inspiring.

• 2 months later...

Curious as to what qualifies you to make this call? are you even an artist? Judging from the name drops I'm guessing not because if you were you would know that neither of these gentlemen do pure traditional japanese work its more of an american stylized japanese work. I suggest you learn the diference.