Great shop experience

slayer9019

Yesterday my friend started his epic-ly massive Phoenix (armpit to half-thigh) over at Invisible NYC by GR. I decided to stop by after work since I close by and he could give me a ride home after. I do have to say that, this is one nice shop! Everyone there was very friendly and my friends tattoo is coming out amazing so far. While I was there watching I ended up talking to Eric Machalovic www.myspace.com/ericmichalovic outside. After talking about tattoos for a little bit I signed up to get one by him. (I getting a tradition skull). I do have to say I loved this shop enough that I will try to get work by everyone there. Just thought I'd share my experience! Anyone else have any good experiences?

I flew down to Two Roses in San Diego a few years ago to get tattooed by Ben Grillo. The guys at the shop were picking up lunch at their favorite burrito spot, Cuatro Milpas, and bought me lunch. They also have a coffee bar there and hooked me up with espresso drinks. One of the best experiences I've ever had in a shop.

It wasn't much but I had a nice experience with Joe Capobianco at Hope Gallery in CT. I was getting tattooed by one of his co workers and it was getting late and Joe was watching a little. He was finished for the day but stuck around and brought me a drink and just kept asking if there was anything I needed or anything he could get me. Just having the great Joe C. hanging around and complimenting the tattoo and bringing me juice, etc. was real cool. I admit I was a little uncomfortable and starstruck but he was so humble and such a cool guy.

Speaking of starstruck I was also getting tattooed by Shane O'Neill while he was doing a guest spot in Mass. and Bob Tyrell was there, also, ending his guest spot. Bob wasn't tattoing but sat and watched Shane (I guess they're good friends) and those two were talking about tattoing, various shops, Kid Rock possibly buying into Bob's place, etc. Having Bob compliment my tattoo and shake my hand and just have a normal, friendly converstion was pretty cool to me. It may not mean much to some people here but for me it was a special experience.

I've had almost all my work done at the same studio, by the same artist. We get on really well, and I love going up there. As silly as it sounds, it feels a bit like visiting really good friends you don't get to see very often, rather than a tattoo studio. It does make me quite dull in that I don't have lots of different artist stories though!

Its always really interesting if I go just after one of the big conventions (Paradise etc), as he'll tell me all about it from an artist perspective - its like a little view into a complete different world, and he's a way of describing events and people that make you feel like you were there, even though I've only ever read about most of the people he mentions. It's fascinating.

I feel quite priviledged anyway as I get to be a very small part in the minture world of the studio - as well as the people who work there, there are the other "regular" clients and the "friends" of the studio who come in to pass the time, and kinda make the studio the place it is. I feel like part of it, and having someone you haven't seen for a while come over and have a chat really can take your mind off a particularly painful spot!

The only problem is, I fear I'm spoilt now. I'm actually braving another studio in October and I'm actually really nervous about going somewhere else where I'm just going to be a one off customer who doesn't know anyone etc etc. But he's one of the few artists whose work I really really want on me, so I'll go and hopefully it won't be that bad...

Ive been tattooed by Bob Tyrrell a few times, and he is definitely one of the nicest, most down-to-earth artists I have met. Extremely humble for how talented he is, and one heck of a guitar player too..

I also went to Smith St. when I visited NY & got a tattoo from Steve Boltz. He was super cool & the shop itself was really impressive. All that hand painted flash is incredible, the bathroom was even covered in flash.. all pin-ups. So awesome.

• 7 months later...

I plan on taking a trip to London and since I probably won't have the money to return I was hoping to get a tattoo at Frith Street to say I was there and commemorate the vacation I'm taking there. I know they don't discuss anything over the phone or e-mail and they do take walk-ins but I'm limited on time while there and I'm arriving on the weekend. Just want something small. I love getting tattooed and feel it would be a great way to start my vacation(yes I really mean it when I say I love getting tattooed) I know there are some amazing artists working there so would love to get it there and it won't be far from the hotel I'm staying at.

Reason I'm posting this is I was wondering if this is a possible endeavor or not? I guess I worry I'll be seen as a tourist and turned away. :P I'm fully sleeved though, not sure if that helps me seem like less of a tourist. Plus I've never done a walk-in tattoo before.

I plan on taking a trip to London and since I probably won't have the money to return I was hoping to get a tattoo at Frith Street to say I was there and commemorate the vacation I'm taking there. I know they don't discuss anything over the phone or e-mail and they do take walk-ins but I'm limited on time while there and I'm arriving on the weekend. Just want something small. I love getting tattooed and feel it would be a great way to start my vacation(yes I really mean it when I say I love getting tattooed) I know there are some amazing artists working there so would love to get it there and it won't be far from the hotel I'm staying at.

Reason I'm posting this is I was wondering if this is a possible endeavor or not? I guess I worry I'll be seen as a tourist and turned away. :P I'm fully sleeved though, not sure if that helps me seem like less of a tourist. Plus I've never done a walk-in tattoo before.

Been there twice and arranged my appointments beforehand. For someone out of the country they will work with you. What it really comes down to is who you want something from? I would send an email and follow-up with a phone call. Explain what you may want and when and they will most likely work it out. GOOD LUCK!

Call:0044 20 7734 8180 12-8pm UK time. You'll get accurate answers faster than on the Internet. We're open 7 days. We are not snobs, we try to do nice tattoos. Everyone there is nice (except me, I'm a total douche)

Thanks so very much! When I get a better idea of the logistics of the trip I'm taking I will give you guys a call. It's a good 6 months from now and I will most likely only be available for a tattoo those first two days I'm there. I only worry since it will be a weekend and I know how busy tattoo shops can get in a big city such as London.