First time booking appointment before choosing a design

cragdw

This is the first time I've booked an appointment before deciding upon what tattoo I want.

Bailey Robinson, Sept. 5th.

Some think that because they are permanent, a responsibly applied tattoo requires more consideration than I am showing. But I see this as a step toward being comfortable getting tattoos in the way that I want to: for the sake of the tattoo itself. as a time stamp and nothing more in the way of conceptual significance. Bailey might be my favorite tattooer, so I know I can't go wrong.

Thoughts? Does anyone remember over-thinking their tattoos, and their transition to this method, of picking flash and figuring it out when you get there? Was that a fast or slow transition? Or did you start out getting them that way... Discuss!

I have always tried to strike a balance. I reserve the tattoo projects for people in town that I can go back and discuss stuff with and am not in a hurry to get. If I am traveling and trying to get a piece done, I usually tell people that I will pick from what they have their or pick something I know that they are good at and let them draw what they feel like. I feel like if I am traveling to get something from someone it should be a reflection of them, I wouldn't want it to get lost with me trying to dictate every detail.

My favourite tattoo was picked something like 5 hours before actually going ahead and getting it done. There is a lot to be said for just going with gut instinct rather than over-thinking whether or not you might still like a piece in 20 years time. Having said that, it took me four big pieces before I reached that level of spontaneity!

As a friend and client of Bailey's let me give you one bit of advice, DO NOT be late to your appointment. there is no better way to piss that little fucker right off! Also, no chewing gum or energy drinks. Aside from that, let him do his thing. He's probably my favorite person to get tattooed by, I hope you like country music and dry humor.

I almost never know what I want before I get it tattooed. I usually make an appointment and then the day i go in or whenever they ask what i want I usually say "I don't know, anything you've been wanting to do lately" and either they say yup this awesome thing here, or nope pick something yourself. When I have to pick something myself it's still usually pretty vague, like "a rose with whatever else you want to throw in there". I have an appointment in a couple weeks and I just said "i want either a hanya or a jap flower with whatever else you feel should be there, you know what makes a good tattoo". Some artists love that, some hate it.

My next tattoo appointment was picked before I had a solid idea of what I wanted. I got comfortable after BSing for an hour and looking over his portfolio. I left with the idea of "a traditional skull leg piece". Only after did I solidify my ideas and text them to the artist.