Clashing of different style

Is their anyway to incorporate very different styles to not "clash" with other styles? I.E. biomechanical vs american traditional vs Japanese traditional. I ask this because I am a fan of almost all styles and would like all of them just I don't know how they would work close to each other. My new artist said that you should stick with a overall style but I would somehow like to merge all of them somehow... (I am going for full body-suit coverage). Any thoughts?

I think your tattooer makes a good point. The only problem is the more you get tattooed the more you realize there are tons of people you want to get tattooed by, so not only do you have to worry about different tattoo styles, but having different tattooers stuff blend together. I abandoned the idea a long time ago and just get what I want and eventually it will all be filled in. But I would say if you are really looking for a full body suit look listen to your tattooer, oh and don't get biomech.

I think your tattooer makes a good point. The only problem is the more you get tattooed the more you realize there are tons of people you want to get tattooed by, so not only do you have to worry about different tattoo styles, but having different tattooers stuff blend together. I abandoned the idea a long time ago and just get what I want and eventually it will all be filled in. But I would say if you are really looking for a full body suit look listen to your tattooer, oh and don't get biomech.

I am running into that issue already with way too many people I want to get tattoos done by with my still blank body already getting reservations placed. This problem gets amplified by my desire for only large tattoos (5x5 minimum). It is painful even at this point (with only half a calf done) to think about saying no to some design, or tattooer for parts of my body as it might "clash".

Also I do want some biomechanical (not anything I have seen so far really) but more for the fact that it would be my only tattoo with "real meaning" behind it. I work with computers and would like maybe my foot done with a very dark themed biomechanical design to pay tribute to the work I do, which has enabled me to do the things I love.

Ultimately you should get what you want. If you want all these styles get them, have quality artists do them and you will be covered which most people never accomplish at all. When I see a picture of someone with a japanese body suit done well it is awesome and I do mean that. So powerful bold, colorful and just looks like the person is wearing a suit of armor. But knowing what it would entail to get a look like this, I don't think even if I had it to do over I would go this route. I like big tattoos, but really there is something very satisfying about walking into a tattoo shop and walking out with a finished product. Three of four sessions into a tattoo for me, it becomes more like a chore to get it done. Now don't get me wrong the end product is always well worth it, but I just think mixing it up between big pieces and single session stuff makes it more fun and allows you to get tattooed by more people.

Thank you for posting this thread, I have similar concerns/thoughts. Some stuff I found on LST that might help you out:

Similar thread:

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-101/797-collecting-different-styles.html

Here is the video that is referred to from the 'Old Tattoo Documentaries' thread started by ShawnPorter, a Great Thread!

Here a link to the the above thread as well:

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-101/636-old-tattoo-documentaries.html

I am curious if anyone is seeing any 'hybrid' tattoos being done in a great fashion? Here is the only one that I found that I thought, 'Wow!'

SHIGE of Yellow Blaze: Yokohama, Japan.

sh_1183_02.jpg

edit:

Apologies, but the similar thread had RoryQ, asking about getting a Thomas Hooper Tattoo next to a different style and having a jarring effect, but in the recent Gypsy Gentleman episode, by Marcus Kuhn, Thomas Hooper does do that, looks pretty cool.

Ultimately you should get what you want. If you want all these styles get them, have quality artists do them and you will be covered which most people never accomplish at all. When I see a picture of someone with a japanese body suit done well it is awesome and I do mean that. So powerful bold, colorful and just looks like the person is wearing a suit of armor. But knowing what it would entail to get a look like this, I don't think even if I had it to do over I would go this route. I like big tattoos, but really there is something very satisfying about walking into a tattoo shop and walking out with a finished product. Three of four sessions into a tattoo for me, it becomes more like a chore to get it done. Now don't get me wrong the end product is always well worth it, but I just think mixing it up between big pieces and single session stuff makes it more fun and allows you to get tattooed by more people.

I can understand where you are coming from even in my tattoo infancy. Massive, big and bold designs are very striking and awe-inspiring. I also understand the "wait period" idea. My friend is months and months away from completing his massive phoenix tattoo and even myself I have my Dante's Inferno tattoo that is two months in the making along with my traditional skull/snake design that is at least two sessions (provided I don't add to it). I think I will never understand the feeling of walking out with a complete product.

Along the lines of a bodysuit I feel that it has always been my destiny (HATE this word) to be covered. I feel weird looking at negative space on others and even more so on myself. To stop before hitting the "taboo" (past wrist and collar) areas would be to stop breathing for myself and is not possible. The problems lie more in the risks of going to fast with too much "clashing" artwork.

Thank you for posting this thread, I have similar concerns/thoughts. Some stuff I found on LST that might help you out:

Similar thread:

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-101/797-collecting-different-styles.html

Here is the video that is referred to from the 'Old Tattoo Documentaries' thread started by ShawnPorter, a Great Thread!

*Video removed for space*

I am curious if anyone is seeing any 'hybrid' tattoos being done in a great fashion? Here is the only one that I found that I thought, 'Wow!'

SHIGE of Yellow Blaze: Yokohama, Japan.

sh_1183_02.jpg

Wow I do love the one quote....

"Not everyone should have a tattoo machine their hand....Not everyone should have a scalpel in their hand" ....Epic.

While I do think the "hybrid" tattoo does look amazing it contrasts too much for my liking for my own skin. This being said I am looking for the ability to do some mix and match down the line as I am going for full coverage in a few years time from now.

I am begining to think of it as a map with connections but no two places are the same. I first thought I would be all black and grey and still may, but now I am open to splashes of color and different styles. I have seen a few geisha masks recently that make me want to get one(loosely based of a picture of my daughter). The japanese stuff while spectacular is not my style. This however would be a meaningful piece to me and when its all said and done thats what matters, not if youve conformed to one style or theme for all of your tattoos.

I feel like I'm a clash of different styles. I speak a few different languages, have more than a few interests, and have done a lot of different things in my life. My tattoos are a reflection of that, and as much as I admire people with one full suit from a single artist, I know that it's not for me.

I can understand this completely. While a whole suit by one artist is already out of the question (have 2 artists lined up and one already done by another) I was saying more of a kinda blend of the styles, if at all possible (as I can see above it can be done!). I fully enjoy almost all styles and would want all of them, I just dont want to have a mess of amazing pieces all over the place making no sense what-so-ever. I.E. Traditional rose surrounded by bio-mech with a Japanese dragon on top of it all.... While the entire body theme is very cool I can not commit ALL of my body to one style, however I would like to keep at lease a semi-consistent flow to it all.

I guess I might have answered my own question (with a bit of help).

I have a few different styles on me as it stands now and I am sure there will be many more to be added as I do have other ideas to what I want to get next.(once my sleeve is done) I believe the biggest key is to work with quality artists that can visualize what you have and how to blend it with the new pieces that your planning to add. Most artists that I know have art from many different artists and don't mind it when your collection from other artists grows too.(It can make for some cool stories) If you have a favorite artist that you get work done from often, I am sure you can talk to them about it and what they think of the idea. It just might help you out in picking out other designs and locations for them.

• 2 years later...
WeRnDoG: Do you know any more history about this Shige/unknown tattooer, tattoo? Active collaboration? After the fact? Was the black work even meant to be half a mask?

The take away appears to be that a great tattooer can make different styles next to one another work well, within reason.

Coming very late and possibly reviving this thread, but that amazing front piece is by Jun Matsui, one of my favourite blackwork tattooers. He is Japanese/Brazilian & I'm pretty sure at the time of that tattoo was still living in Tokyo. No idea on the plan or otherwise of that tattoo. A great combination or collaboration no less!

I face the same 'problem'. However, not looking to get a bodysuit. So far through my research, these are the following mixed styles I've come across:

Unknown:

O9BF2pH.jpg?1

qgo2I3L.jpg

Jondix did this one:

IXjnUqg.jpg

Stefan Sinclair did this one:

pghebp4.jpg

Peter Madsen did this one:

hxXiz7D.jpg

wEYOLzQ.jpg

Hooper:

H5FtNDK.jpg

Trevor Mcstay w/ the Japanese and Jondix with the black

KbSfziQ.jpg

Guy Le w/ the chest piece:

nrpsD8X.jpg

Collab with Teniele Sadd and Alvaro Flores:

6pfLRix.jpg

I know some of these are a stretch but this is the stuff I could find..

As you grow older and become more familar with tattooing, i find that you become a lot more open to different styles and being to want to incorporate them for your own tattoos. Prior to working in the industry i was pretty much a generally strictly into traditional, but after a year i found myself wanting to get Japanese, Chicano, Ben Grillo styled Black and Grey and more. I've worked with a lot of tattooers who have blast over sleeves etc, and the mismatched "styles" suit them, it's kind of a reflection of their journey learning and engaging in tattooing in a broader sense.

• 1 month later...

The "taboo" of tattooing past your wrists & collar line ceases to exist once your suited.

In my book, tattooed hands and necks compliment the suit & takes it to another level. That's the work you have earned. But yes, we all have different takes on the subject. I refused to touch hands or neck until my suit was near completed and are now my favourite collections, although maybe not the best work. ;)

I think you can blend different styles, as long as the approach is consistent. I have vast differences in style, but maintained the basics of simple colour, bold lines, heavy black background and not too busy designs. I feel that's the key.