Clashing of different style

With the black & grey background on your existing tattoo, a transition to black & grey tattoo should look really good. Does the artist that did your dragon do good B&G ?

Cool, that's what I thought too. It was done by Danh Vu at Inkman Tattoo. His black&grey is good but I don't want to limit myself to one artist

Cool, that's what I thought too. It was done by Danh Vu at Inkman Tattoo. His black&grey is good but I don't want to limit myself to one artist

I hear you. I also like getting work from different artists, but I have not mixed artists or styles in the same area. Not yet at least.

We are lucky to have so many good artists here. Will be cool to see who you go with and their design.

I hear you. I also like getting work from different artists, but I have not mixed artists or styles in the same area. Not yet at least.

We are lucky to have so many good artists here. Will be cool to see who you go with and their design.

I'm having a tough time deciding.

As of now I'm thinking of either having Regino Gonsales do a half-hanya/half-lady face or Anderson Luna do a raven. Or maybe I'll just let them tattoo whatever they want.

I'm having a tough time deciding.

As of now I'm thinking of either having Regino Gonsales do a half-hanya/half-lady face or Anderson Luna do a raven. Or maybe I'll just let them tattoo whatever they want.

Nice choices. I know both have waiting lists and are selective. Have you been in touch with them ?

That's great they are both interested. I think the solution to your dilemma is to get tattoos by both of them.

Maybe let Regino do the expansion on your dragon since he does so much Asian work and Anderson do a raven on a different part of your body ?

Have you seen the recent tattoos in progress from Anderson ? This was posted on Saved's instagram this week. Not a raven, but should give you an idea. BTW, I am scheduled with Anderson on Monday for his take on an wooden mask I got in Indonesia.

10362077_1437439766513128_1913612819_n.jpg

• 2 months later...

Like many others I've been struggling with this as well. The aesthetic of mixing styles is growing on me, and a good artist can certainly make it work. I am, however, wondering if there are any cultural issues here. For example, is it incorrect or offensive to butt traditional Americana images next to traditional Japanese backgrounds? Or to totally mix the two styles, but in one cohesive piece?

Here is a piece done by Lucas Ford that is a good example of what I'm talking about:

Japanese / Americana fusion

Like many others I've been struggling with this as well. The aesthetic of mixing styles is growing on me, and a good artist can certainly make it work. I am, however, wondering if there are any cultural issues here. For example, is it incorrect or offensive to butt traditional Americana images next to traditional Japanese backgrounds? Or to totally mix the two styles, but in one cohesive piece?

Here is a piece done by Lucas Ford that is a good example of what I'm talking about:

Japanese / Americana fusion

That's a rad tattoo. Fusion can be cool. Google Chris Brand's “108 Heroes of Los Angeles.” Can't see how anyone would find that offensive.

That's a rad tattoo. Fusion can be cool. Google Chris Brand's “108 Heroes of Los Angeles.” Can't see how anyone would find that offensive.

That looks awesome - thanks for the heads up on that I'm going to look into it more tomorrow on my down time.

I kind of thought that nobody would find it offensive but I'm still new to tattoos and wanted to be sure because I would consider a sort of fusion like that ^ for myself at some point in time.