Kirituhi vs Maori Traditional?

I didn't really see anything on this when I searched so correct me if I'm wrong for posting this as a new thread...

I was working on the drawing for my leg, and had an idea to do the fern I'll be adding sort of as a transition into the bottom of my leg, and the thought crossed my head to do it with three real fern becoming a Hawaiian band. But then I was looking at it and remembered that it's almost an insult to do that, frowned upon by the Maori. Which after a bit of looking around I found the Kirituhi.

What I can't figure out is what is it about the designs that actually truly distinguish one from the other...

Any answers from you more versed tattooer's and collectors?

Hey Stitch, true traditional Maori tattooing is tribe specific and the tattoo tells a story relevant to that area and its history .The Kirituhi has been developed for europeans or non-maori descendents who want a tattoo to have the look of ta moko or traditional design .Your idea of incorporating a Hawaiian band is pretty close to the mark as the Maori people originated from the Islands of Hawaii and sailed to New Zealand by canoe .

I've got a book on Maori tattooing called 'Mau Moko', written by a group of Maori academics (most of them tattooed) who interviewed Maori artists and people with a lot of moko. The book is a fairly academic survey of the past, present, future etc. One of the chapters is a fairly robust presentation of all the different strong feelings about moko and kirituhi. It might provide some of the perspectives you're after?

Amazon.com: Mau Moko: The World of Maori Tatoo (9780824832537): Ngahuia Te Awekotuku, Becky Nunes, Linda Waimarie Nikora, Mohi Rua, Rolinda Karapu: Books

YouTube interview with the authors