Mr. Cleen

I'm sure he's a nice guy, and the tattoos are well done... I just feel like it's some sort of meta-hipsterism. The ironic mustache taken to a new, higher level.

Then again, I think the tattooers who dress like they're 1950s greasers are silly too, so maybe I just have an issue with people who try to hard to dress the part.

I don't mind the imagery; his style is his style and it's no less valid than someone who's biting on Cholo work when they're from the burbs- you do the work you like, it's none of my business. For me it's the whole wearing spats and riding a penny farthing thing. (which I'm not saying Chris does.... but it'll happen. Sometime soon. Hipster tattooers with handlebar mustaches, riding penny farthings and wearing monocles)

I really like his tattoos and paintings. I was trying to book an appointment with him, but he told me he would have moved to NY and Saved Tattoo by the time I was going unfortunately. I think he comes of like a nice fella, and he makes really cool tattoos. I thought the video was cool and well worth a watch. Don't really get why blessedmatter seems so negative about Cris and the video.

I don't mind the imagery; his style is his style and it's no less valid than someone who's biting on Cholo work when they're from the burbs- you do the work you like, it's none of my business. For me it's the whole wearing spats and riding a penny farthing thing. (which I'm not saying Chris does.... but it'll happen. Sometime soon. Hipster tattooers with handlebar mustaches, riding penny farthings and wearing monocles)

I definitely understand that reaction. I can appreciate where he's coming from though, since he's genuinely interested in things of a certain era. If you like hunting, you line your walls with antlers. If you like cars, your place might be filled with vintage metal signs. ..if you like tattoos, you're covered in tattoos but other people might think, "Who does that guy think he is?"

Maybe the gag reflex lies more with the presentation in the video. It seems like it's tough to make a little video like this and not come off as a little self-aggrandizing.

Haven't met the guy, but I doubt he's riding around on an old boneshaker with a handlebar mustache. Those types are the kind I view as the "ironic hipster" types, but he just seems like a normal dude who likes an older aesthetic and I can appreciate that. I like his tattoos and just wanted to share.

Thank you and goodnight.

American culture is in a super dangerous spot right now. Watered down, androgynous, over exposed, whored out, etc, etc. I have ZERO TIME for people who can't just be themselves.

His work is ok, he's probably a nice guy, but I'd rather get tattooed by someone who doesn't give a fuck about what they're wearing.

Contrived motherfuckers all over the place these days.

Ha, don't worry dude, I didn't take offense.

American culture is in a super dangerous spot right now. Watered down, androgynous, over exposed, whored out, etc, etc. I have ZERO TIME for people who can't just be themselves.

His work is ok, he's probably a nice guy, but I'd rather get tattooed by someone who doesn't give a fuck about what they're wearing.

Contrived motherfuckers all over the place these days.

But why is it contrived? Does everyone need an ipad and Nikes? I prefer Levi's and Dickies to cargo shorts from Old Navy. I like white t-shirts and black t-shirts and I get nice haircuts -- does that make me contrived?

But why is it contrived? Does everyone need an ipad and Nikes? I prefer Levi's and Dickies to cargo shorts from Old Navy. I like white t-shirts and black t-shirts and I get nice haircuts -- does that make me contrived?

Well did he make the video?

Frankly, his whole image is contrived. "I want to be this guy, so this is how I think he would be..."

I just don't get why you think it's not genuine. By that logic, you could find fault with anyone's image.

If I was in a video wearing a Fred Perry shirt and happened to have on my Docs, would the reaction be, "Who does this asshole think he is, trying to act like some skinhead, what a prick, our society is in trouble?"

I mean, it's my opinion and I could theoretically be wrong, but if he wants to do old tattoos, wants his shop to look old, and wants to appear olde timey, then he is artificially creating an image. It's not candid or natural.

As for you, I don't know you. You didn't advertise your lifestyle on the internet to me. Had you, then you would have to accept potential criticism. Is that not fair?