Getting my first tattoo

Zerpersande

Well, if I can get everything coordinated. I’m 68 and always thought about getting a tattoo, but just thought of anything I’d like. Finally it dawned on me. I live in Japan so there’s going to be a bit of a language barrier. My solution to that is to have the design made ahead of time and then find an artist that can just do to the ink.

If anyone is interested in helping me by answering some questions, watch for an upcoming post about my plans and pics of what I want to have done. Well, at least after I can figure out why I can’t anywhere but in this topic.

Edited by Zerpersande
Added detail about not being able to post elsewhere.

For one, the design won’t be an exact copy of the original artwork. Secondly, we’re talking about cover art that is almost 50 years old.  What the artist doesn’t know won’t hurt him/her. I would be amazed if any artist would notice the source.

As for getting a translator, which would be to avoid the cost of having a tattoo design made, showing pics of cover art would open up questions that the above explanation completely avoided. And unless I have to convey subtle emotions and ideas my Japanese will be good enough.

On 7/21/2022 at 10:30 AM, Zerpersande said:

Here’s a pic of an interesting choice of characters. Too busy for my taste but I do like how the the song Squonk and Entangled were paired together. A really good fit. 

B1C5286F-DCD1-480D-9841-82D0A4AA06EF.jpeg

Since you're new to tattoos, let me try again - GOOD artists don't usually use other people's designs and don't usually design for other artists. You're unlikely to get art that will translate into a good tattoo. GOOD artists will redraw to make the art fit your skin and body part. Frankly I wouldn't go to an artist that just took a design handed to them.

Presumably you came here for advice. Take it or leave it.

5 hours ago, Hogrider said:

GOOD artists don't usually use other people's designs and don't usually design for other artists.

So the tattoo design services are usually a waste of money?  Or at least any artist that you find that will agree to use the design will be unable to make a good tattoo by using the design?

But your advice IS useful and it jives with other things I have read and heard. A friend may to have to find a new artist here in Japan bc his artist has decided to ‘specialize’ in anime. And if the artist is ‘GOOD’ enough (an extremely subjective term) to attract the number of customers required for said artist to be happy with his/her situation, then I think that not doing anything they don’t like is great. Life is too short to dance with, nope… Life is too short to  hunt with an ugly dog.

Edited by Zerpersande
A thought occurred…

If you're going to reproduce old art as a tattoo then find a tattooist who is very good at photo realism. 

On the other hand, if you're looking for a one-of-a-kind piece of art - then don't even think about a "design service". A truly good artist will make a truly good design and then be interested in tattooing it. A large percentage of tattooists who might try to reproduce someone else's original work of art will do so only because they're hungry - not necessarily because they are capable. 

2 hours ago, SStu said:

… find a tattooist who is very good at photo realism. 

A truly good artist will make a truly good design and then be interested in tattooing it.

…reproduce someone else's original work of art will do so only because they're hungry 

Interesting points.  As for the realism, I want the first character recognizable but made more realistic rather than essentially a sketch. I WANT a degree creativity there.  The second element is a moon with clouds reminiscent of a horse. Again, recognizable but much more artistic leeway there.

As for the ‘hungry aspect’ I see what you’re saying . But a friend is married to the artist. She’s making an exception in my case to do my tattoo. She usually doesn’t take his friends as clients.  My friend just contacted me and he’s taking my idea and making a basic sketch to show her. She accepted when it was a much simpler project. She might bail with the new idea.

If she does bail, then I the search will be on for someone who will take these elements and my rough idea and come up with something.

8B31E32F-E842-4034-B725-11A5234C4702.jpeg

60C72A22-2125-447A-ACC1-5D574AA32957.jpeg